Community_discussions_small  

Question

Where did you keep your passport/extra money

20 Dec 2011 Explorer1334491 asked

Default_avatar

Hi,

I'm travelling to Europe and wonde where people kept their passport and extra money? Did you bother with a waist belt? Or just lock it in a backpack? I was planning on taking a backpack with me everywhere and I can lock the zippers, but I was wondering if there is a better way...

• 21 Dec 2011 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

I personally just used an ATM card. It was easy to carry around and worked everywhere. Just so you know I’m with HSBC, and, being worldwide, they had ATMs in every country I went to. I found that they were the most convenient and would recommend it no matter which bank you are with. Just to minimise fees, take out a fair chunk of money each time, and keep that money in a safe place.

In terms of pickpockets, just use common sense, and do what you would do in your home country. I seriously just put my wallet in my front pocket of my jeans/shorts and had no issues-in saying that DO NOT put anything in back pockets. I don’t think there is a need for a money belt. When you go to clubs/bars they may ask for ID and a driver’s licence etc suffices. I’ve found if they ask for a passport they’re generally dodgy places so don’t bother going in the first place. There is no need to take around your passport when around the streets of a country. Most of the time my passport and extra money was locked in a small bag at the top of my suitcase, which was also locked. Said suitcase was in the hotel/backpackers we were staying at.

Just on a side note traveler’s checks are just a way for banks and other financial institutions to make more money off travelers, in my opinion.

Also, carrying a backpack everywhere can get mighty annoying and cumbersome, especially when…going through museums etc and needing to have it checked everywhere, dropping it, unlocking it, taking out the camera, taking photos, then putting the camera back in the bag, locking the bag, etc etc… easier to lose things like that as well!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion