Karen

Just booked this trip for July 2012!
- Has anyone done this tour?
- Has anyone gone in July?
- Is anyone on this tour?
- Any tips/advice/stories/etc?

• 14 Jan 2012 Wolfmyer said

Wolfmyer

I plan on going on the same tour. I’ve booked the tour that starts in Sydney on July 8th. I’m really looking forward to the sailing in the Whitsundays!

As an Australian, my only tip for July is to pack some warm clothing because it can get cool some nights in July. For the most part in Queensland the weather in July is really nice and plus its not stinger season which makes it even better.

• 15 Jan 2012 Amy said

Default_avatar

Hi Karen -
    I think that I may be on this tour with you! I booked the Coast and Whitsundays with sailing departing from Sydney on July 12, 2012. I believe that the tours travel together, unless I am mistaken?? This is my first time visiting Australia as well traveling with Contiki and I am very excited, especially for sailing!!

Are you on the July 5th or July 12th departure??

• 31 Jan 2012 stampadhesive said

stampadhesive

I did this tour in 2009 (in July) and it was amazing. The rainforest was my favorite part. It is worth the money. I saw a lot of things I wouldn’t have know about if I had traveled on my own. I started in Cairns. If you are starting in Sydney, you will want a cheap winter coat that you can throw out once you get further north. But you will need a coat for Sydney. I’d also suggest you go to Melbourne before you start your tour if you are able. There are plenty of very nice cheap hotels. I stayed at Greenhouse. Clean and suitable. If you are just going to Sydney, you can do a few days there. Any more than 5 and you might bet bored though. A trip to the Blue Mountains by train is well worth it if you have the time. In Sydney, I stayed at the hostel Wake Up. It was very happening. Once the tour started, I had a blast. I didn’t sail and the people who did sail in my tour didn’t spend any more time on that world famous beach than the people who didn’t sail. But that was just one experience. Other people who I’ve talked to loved the sailing. I’d also do the sand dune optional again. Fairly cheap and a very unique experience. In fact, do a lot of optionals. Otherwise, you just hang around waiting for people in your group to be done with them. Obviously, go to the reef. You can scuba even if you aren’t certified. I went scuba two times when we went to the reef (without certification.) The first time, you have to stay linked armed with other people but you saw some good stuff. The second time, people were allowed more freedom. We swam in a group (you couldn’t wander off) but we swam all over the place fairly deep. So if you want to scuba, do it! You don’t need to pay tons of money and get a certification ahead of time. I spent five days in Cairns before my tour started, stayed in a cheap hostel on the beach, and traveled around the surrounding area by public transit. There was enough to do. I’d recommend you go see the animal preserve in Cairns if you stay late. You can get there by bus. Dress nicely, go right when it opens, and immediately go take a picture holding a kola. That way you won’t be all sweaty in your kola picture like I was : ( Overall, remember on your trip that you paid good money to do the things offered so you might as well do them. A lot of people refused to get in ‘refreshing’ water and stood on the sidelines watching people like me have an awesome time.

• 31 Jan 2012 Wolfmyer said

Wolfmyer

sweet! thanks for the info and advice stampadhesive! :)

• 9 Feb 2012 Sam said

Sam

Hi!
    I have also booked to go on this tour leaving Sydney on 8th July. I’m really looking forward to it too!

• 15 Mar 2012 Gregski said

Gregski

I think i may be on this tour too, booked the aussie explorer starting sydney with sailing starting 8 July 12

• 1 Aug 2012 Alice said

Default_avatar

Hi I have booked the reef and rainforests tour too starting in sydney on the 5th. Very excited!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion