Community_discussions_small  

Question

Has anyone done the New York New Year tour?

8 Jan 2012 Fishbowl asked

Default_avatar

Hi All,

We're going to be in NYC for New Year's Eve 2012/2013 and my girlfriend and I are wondering if anyone has done the above mentioned tour.

We'll either do the tour or organize something on our own, but would really like to be in Times Square or in view of the ball dropping.

Advice and comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Brad & Ash

• 19 Feb 2012 tracysyd said

tracysyd

I bought my flights pretty early and went with Korean airways. They were like $2200. I left Australia on December 19 and came home January 13 so I don’t know whether it’s a bit cheaper than leaving so close to Christmas or new years eve. These flights were sooooo much cheaper than any other airline though. The flight was a bit longer because you fly sydney, Seoul, new York but my lay overs were only like 1 hour so it didn’t bother me at all. Also. You can take 2 suitcases of 23kg each which was sensational. Yeah I wouldn’t try and stay at the same hotel your tour, not worth it. I’m surprised too that you aren’t staying in manhattan but it’s only for a few days so i doubt it would worry you. But yeah, definitely book your flights and accommodation as soon as possible because they will increase heaps the closer you get! Definitely check out the pod hotel! I’ll try to add a photo to my profile, it was pret good value.

• 19 Feb 2012 KirrynA said

KirrynA

Thanks for the advice re flights! I remember I looked at the Pod Hotel when we went to NY last year and I thought it was quite expensive. I had heard so many recommendations for it though so I was surprised to find it a bit pricey. I just tried looking up prices for it then and it’s too early which is a bummer, but I’ll have another look when it gets a bit closer. I’ve found a great hotel in Soho which is the neighbourhood we liked the most so I’d say we’ll go with that. So keen to just book everything and have it all sorted!

• 20 Feb 2012 Kim said

Kim

This is awesome. Is anybody coming on this tour from Canada? 10 months and counting….

• 22 Feb 2012 Emily__ said

Emily__

I’m doing this tour! Just booked flights with V Aust. We’re going from Melb to LA on 06th Dec, doing Best Of USA then New York New Years, then flying back to Melb on 03rd Jan. Flights only cost $1900 which I was happy with! Was expecting to pay about $2500 so we jumped on this deal.
    Anyone else going on this tour, add me to facebook – facebook.com/emilystow and we’ll get chatting! I’ve got a friend who has booked with me, and a few more who are still deciding.

I can’t wait! :D

• 22 Feb 2012 KirrynA said

KirrynA

Virgo Emily, I’m so excited for you! Best of USA is amazing! You will have the best time. Amazing flight prices too, and with such a good airline! It would be so good of we got a similar price. I will have to add you on fb :)

• 22 Feb 2012 Katieh83 said

Katieh83

Hi All,

I have just booked this tour too. I Have been thinking about it for ages and now I have booked :-)
    No idea what I am doing after it yet?? I wanted to do a Canadian tour but Contiki don’t run them in winter apparently. As I am coming from Sydney, I didnt just want to fly over for the NYE tour I want to do something else as well. Just have to figure it out.

I am from Sydney and have been travelling for many years but have always done so with a friend but this time I will be travelling solo.

Hope to chat to you all soon.

Kate

• 22 Feb 2012 krystals said

krystals

I am thinking about doing this tour but i am nervous about how cold it will be as i live in the northwest of Western Australia and also doing a contiki by myself for the first time!

• 22 Feb 2012 Kate said

Kate

Hi all,
    I’ve booked this tour over the weekend. I’m a single traveller and this will be my second contiki tour, did my first in Europe and absolutely loved every moment to it!! So far my plans are heading to Canada for Xmas then down to NYC for this then heading bavk to Vancouver and Hawaii after the tour as I’ve done a lot of USA travel already, just looking forward to a fun time and something ill always remember!!

Cheers
    Kate

• 22 Feb 2012 Emily__ said

Emily__

Has anyone created a facebook event for this tour yet? I’ve had quick look but can’t find one.
    I have paid my deposit for Best of USA tour but still umming and arrring about this tour too… Would love to party it up with Contiki people for NYE but I’m not sure about the accom in brooklyn.. :(

• 22 Feb 2012 KirrynA said

KirrynA

Shall I make a page? I made one for our Best Of USA Contiki last time too. Hahaha.

• 23 Feb 2012 KirrynA said

KirrynA

So I’m a total dork and I made a FB page so everyone can chat and get to know each other before the tour…

http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-York-New-Year-Contiki-201213/311873445540628?skip_nax_wizard=true

• 27 Feb 2012 Fleur said

Fleur

Hey guys! I’ve just paid my deposit for this tour. I’m coming from Brisbane and I’m going solo, I can’t wait!!! This is my university graduation/21st birthday present from myself and my family, so it’s extra special. I’ve booked accommodation for after the tour as well. I booked a room at the Milford Plaza Hotel. It’s like a block away from Times Square or something, I think, and they do a discount if you stay for 5 nights or more. I booked a queen room for 7 nights, and only ended up paying $77 and however many cents per night. I can’t wait to get to know you all and I really hope December comes quickly!!

• 27 Feb 2012 Fleur said

Fleur

Oh and Virgoemily, I just added you on facebook (I hope) – I’m Fleur Bovey. Anybody else going on this tour, feel free to add me :D

• 28 Feb 2012 KellySchutz said

KellySchutz

Hey everyone! Me and my boyfriend are from Adelaide, coming over the day before the tour and after the tour we are going up to Canada ourselves for a week or so and then doing the grand southern starting on the 11th Jan. Cant wait! Just want to book flights already! We booked in for this before xmas last year!

• 28 Feb 2012 KirrynA said

KirrynA

Hello Fleur! Have added you on FB, hope thats ok :) will you be staying in Brooklyn while on the tour? I cant believe the rates you got at your hotel, thats really good! The one my bf and I have booked for after the tour is costing us a $104 a night, which I thought was good, but $77 is such a bargain! Are you travelling anywhere else after/before?

Kelly, you guys were so smart to book early! I wish I’d known about this tour sooner. We’re also waiting to book flights, it’s driving me mad! Haha. I would love to do the Grand Southern, its at the top of my Contiki ‘to do’ list!

• 28 Feb 2012 Katieh83 said

Katieh83

Good to see more people joining this discussion. I cant believe we still have to wait like another 10 months.
    I was also looking at doing the Grand Southern after this tour but it doesn’t fit my travel dates with work etc :-(
    I think I might try to do one of the shorter ones such as the Wild Western but still not certain.
    I have booked a night before and a night after in the same hotel as the tour but I am planning on arriving a few days before and staying near Times Square and then I will probably do the same after. All up in the air at the moment. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

• 28 Feb 2012 Emily__ said

Emily__

Hey katie, we’re doing LA to the bay before the tour – look into that! we’ll be flying over to NY on christmas eve :)

• 28 Feb 2012 Katieh83 said

Katieh83

Hi Emily,

That tour looks great too! I really want to do one of the tours that passes through Lake Tahoe. I did the ski Austria contiki at the start of 2011 and it was so good but I only just started to get the hang of snowboarding at the end.

Unfortunately I can only leave Sydney around the 19th at the earliest but I have the whole of January basically to do what I want. I might have to look into LA to the Bay for after the NYC tour.

• 28 Feb 2012 Fleur said

Fleur

Hey Kirryn, no problemo :D I’m really keen to get know everybody before we go; facebook makes it so much easier!
    Where are you guys staying after the tour? I couldn’t believe that they gave me such a huge discount on my accommodation, so I just jumped straight on it haha. I have no idea where I’m staying during the tour – it’s all sorted out by contiki, isn’t it? I don’t mind if it’s in Brooklyn, though, just so long as it’s in NYC, I’ll be over the moon! haha.
    I’m really excited that there are others who are planning to stick around after the tour’s ended! I really would’ve loved to do another tour while I’m over there, but I’m already going on a cruise to a few of the pacific islands in April for a friend’s 21st, so I’m pretty flat out trying to save for everything as is! Really jealous of everybody planning to go skiing at Lake Tahoe, though! That’s pretty high up on my ‘to do’ list.
    Any ideas how early we can book flights? I’d really like to get everything booked and ready to go so I don’t have to worry about it!

• 29 Feb 2012 hanmontana2011 said

hanmontana2011

I just booked my flights – today in fact, with Air New Zealand and it came to around $1900 – it was a special deal though. I’m flying out from Melbourne on 8 December and flying home on 8 January.
    I have no idea what i’m doing either side of contiki – just where I want to go – San Francisco and Boston.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.