Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best time of year to go?

26 Jan 2008 Revs1 asked

Default_avatar
I'm from the states so can somebody tell me when the best time of year for a NZ tour?
  • 26 Jan 2008 Revs1 said

Default_avatar

Ptooma,

I was looking at doing a tour starting Dec 27th and going for two weeks, are you saying that just for new years their won’t be any optionals? Or are there more days then just that one that people are off down there? What do these tours usually do for new years night, anything special?

• 28 Jan 2008 roaming_jafa said

Default_avatar

I can wade into this one too.

The period between Christmas and just after
    New Years, is our best chance for holidays
    during the year.

Us kiwis often empty out of the big cities and
    head for the coast. The tourist towns swell a
    lot at that time of year. Does also mean theres
    more traffic on the highways so your bus trips
    will take a bit longer.

There are public holidays xmas/boxing day and also jan 1/2, so that might need to be thought
    of. Also, if your a shopaholic. Boxing Day is
    the biggest retail day of the year now.

• 28 Jan 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Bars will definitely be open on New Years Eve – which bar wouldn’t be open ???? In anycase, many would also be charging a cover because they can just to take advantage of New Years. But if you have a good TM, he’ll probably get you into a good bar/club when they are still empty at around 10:30. Standard negotiation w/ the doorman is “I’ve got 50 young thirsty ppl who will make your club look like it’s the hippest place in town when all the other places are still empty. Just let us get in no cover.” And yer in !!!

As for optionals on Jan 1st – they may be limited, but not as barren as Dec 25. Otherwise any other day, all optionals are operating. That is peak tourist season.

- Vic

• 7 Feb 2008 andi said

Default_avatar

i went in may and it was a cold lol.. it was the equivalent of US November

• 14 Feb 2008 Bateup said

Bateup

So does anyone think July would be an alright month to go in?? I know it’ll be cold, but it can’t be that depressing can it?? I am from outback QLD…so it will hit me pretty hard I’d say. My 45 degree temperatures probably won’t help me much in NZ!!

• 14 Feb 2008 tberri said

Default_avatar

im from nz.

id say jan/feb/march.

last few decembers have had alot of rain.

• 19 Feb 2008 sam said

Default_avatar

Idid my tour in late oct 07 and the weather was great. The south island was warmer than the north and the weather reminded me much of Melb Aus. 4 seasons in one day! But the country side was its most beautiful. As the sun was out but the snow was still on the mountains. You must see the smow on the mountains – its what makes it so beautiful! and it was off season when we went and the place was crazy still!!!
    cheers
    sam

• 22 Feb 2008 Elen said

Default_avatar

It all really depends what you are coming here for, NZ is great all year round, (maybe I’m just bias cuz i live here)

There’s lots to do all year round. The temp is different here to Aussie etc due to the kind of heat (they get more of a dry heat we have more of a humid heat)

You will have fun regrdless what time you come, The beaches are always popular in summer and the snow is always popular in winter Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> People are always willing to help and are friendly as

• 28 Feb 2008 Explorer1091461 said

Default_avatar

Is there any reason why April isn’t a popular time of year to go? Fewer tours operating then, and it looks like even fewer tourists. Please explain.

• 10 Jun 2008 Explorer1085990 said

Default_avatar

Possibly because April is getting a little colder? I’m a kiwi and my favourite time of the year is summer (dec, jan, feb) by far- beautiful beaches, hot road trips. however if your a winter bunny and love skiing and snowboarding etc your probably best to go in winter in June- July

• 11 Aug 2008 Bateup said

Bateup

I’d say winter!!

Sure the weather isn’t as inviting, but the scenery is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! The massive snow capped mountains of the south island are magic when it’s winter.

I saw photos of the same area in the summer time and it looked like crap compared to what it does in winter.

The cold doesn’t even affect you hey. It’s not even that bad

• 11 Aug 2008 Wen86 said

Default_avatar

I’m going in November! Whats the weather like then?

• 12 Aug 2008 Bateup said

Bateup

The weather is surprisngly warm then!! You can hit the high 30’s down south!!

• 20 Aug 2008 Sophh Bee said

Sophh Bee

like someone else said it just depends on what your into?

to love snow or sand?

summer normally starts to heat up like decemberish and gets goin in jan/feb even march if we’re lucky

june and july are prolly the coldest, august too sometimes (we’ve had a few chilly mornings and evenings this month)

sept-nov is when everything starts to get warmer, nights are lighter less of a chill sorta thing.

imo i’d want to go in summer, i love the heat but i’m sure whatever time you’ll have a blast, NZ is soo beautiful and the people are super friendly Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    (but i could be biased :P)

hope this helps
    note these are for north island/auckland since thats where i’m from i know that the south island can get hotter then the north island in summer and defo colder in in winter

• 14 Nov 2008 travel_first said

travel_first

I would say mid dec to early april

• 29 Nov 2008 brcpar said

Default_avatar

So, is there a time of year when the North is warm enough to do summer type activities (ie: beach) and the South is cold enough to do the winter type activities (ie: skiing)?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion