Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern LA to NY Sept 6th 2012

14 Jan 2012 Natalie asked

Natalie

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are doing the Grand Southern tour starting in LA on September 6th 2012! Is anyone else think of doing this tour then?

This will be the first time we have been over seas and would love to hear from anyone who has experienced the weather this time of year in the States. Also the high lights and low lights of the tour and how much money we should take for spending.

Also can anyone help with cheap, nice hotels/hostels to stay in, in LA and NY as we wish to spend a few extra days here.

• 22 Jan 2012 Robyn said

Robyn

hey,
    myself and a m8t r goin on this tour we have not booked but 100% sure, just waiting on the travel expo in feb in melb so we can pick up a really good deal on flights n wat not.. we learnt last yr when we went to europe paid 3,500 for flight but then that was two weeks out. was alot of money in the end u come bak with nothing.

for me this will b my 4 time over seas.but.my 3rd contiki i just luv them, its a quick taste of everything in short time and its such a gr8t time depending on the people u get on the tour.
    normal when u book the tour through a travel agent they will book u the hotel or hostel where the bus leaves and drops u off at before and after the tour . its soo much easier to stay there, beacuse
    there is alot of ppl from the tour floating round soo u can meet each other b4 the tour and u all become really good friends at the end u pretty much stay together n sight see like new york together soo stay few extra days b4 the tour and after.. .
    on the web page add up all the activities u think u might do & add them up gives u a rough idea wat ur goin 2 spend + food alchole and shopping on top of that. im thinking bout taking 5,000 spending money just like to have more soo im safe incase i over spend ,

robyn .
  • 26 Jan 2012 Explorer1153430 said

Default_avatar

Hi guys,
    I’m joining you in new Orleans as part of the eastern discovery. I did la to the bay in 2010 the same time in sept the weather was nice warm in the days and cools down in the evening don’t need full on winter clothes but will need a jumper or light jacket and jeans.
    We are staying at the days inn broadway in new York it about a $1O taxi ride to times square and right on the subway is a bit out of the centre but the cost is worth it NY can be so expensive and I’d rather shop.

I budgeted for my last trip $1000 a week and had heaps I went mad shopping and added 20 kgsto my luggage. On contiki the organize cheap drinks and events so you can save money if your a drinker remember its free pour so dri is are stronger and tip the bartender then they look after you.
    I can’t wait to meet you guys.
    Lauren

• 6 Feb 2012 Lauz said

Lauz

I’m also doing this tour!
    Can’t Wait- im spending a couple of days in Honolulu then a day before the tour in L.A. After the Grand Southern im doing the New York Uncovered, i figured with hotel prices and entry into a few things it wasnt a bad price. I’m then flying to San Francisco for 2 days then back to L.A to do the L.A Explorer and then heading back home. I’m budgeting about $1000 a week also- which should give me plenty of money as i budgeted the same for my Europe trip and came home with over $1000 spare. guess it just depends how much u want to shop.
    Might see if i can set up a facebook group or something for this tour so we can all join and discuss more :)
    anyone who wants to add me, my email is dancing_baby_lauz@hotmail.com

• 10 Feb 2012 Robyn said

Robyn

hey guys,
    now 100% booked on this tour.. will b getting into LA on the 2nd of sep.. four days b4 the tour starts soo if any of u guys intrested in hanging out and seeing the sights together b4 we leave that will b gr8t the more the better. any one wanna chatt more e-mail me r.l.rickard@hotmail.com

• 11 Feb 2012 Pete said

Pete

Hi guys,
    I’m Pete from Sydney. We’ve just started an online postcard site so you can send your postcards straight to facebook or email and we’re trying to get the word out. We have postcards for the places you’re going so please spread the word around your tour. Thanks guys and safe travels!
    www.ThePerfectPostcard.com
    Pete

• 13 Feb 2012 Natalie said

Natalie

Thats great cant wait to meet you :) I waited for the travel expo in Brissy and got some great deals. I wouldnt of gone if it wasnt for you Robyn so thanks. We will hopefully be getting to LA on the 2nd also so I will let you know closer to the time where we are staying when once we know lol.

• 13 Feb 2012 AndyNZ said

AndyNZ

This date could be a plan.

• 17 Feb 2012 Explorer1255872 said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys

I also booked this tour. This is my third your with contiki. LOVE EM! Great fun, great company and a great price.

Cant wait to meet all you guys.

Jarryd, Sydney Australia

• 19 Feb 2012 Robyn said

Robyn

yeah nat that expo had alot of good bargins we got bout $1000 discount, u will have sooo much fun and once u have the bug u would just want to go again..
    jarryd this is my 3rd contiki 2,, i love them 2 there soo much fun and a quick taste of everthing.
    Andy NZ u should book this tour. the more ppl the better its goin to be like queenstown but like 100% sooo much funn

• 20 Feb 2012 Milez619 said

Milez619

I’m booked on this tour. I’m so keen for this. I have also booked the grand northern from NY on 5th October. I did a contiki in NZ back in April last year. And did another tour through Europe the year before that. I’m flying into LA on the 4th. This will be the longest tour I have done. Ingot mine all pretty cheap too as they had a contiki sale the other day.

• 21 Feb 2012 Robyn said

Robyn

should start up a fAcebook page soo every one can add them selfs to soo we can all chatt

• 22 Feb 2012 Milez619 said

Milez619

I’d gladly make a group/page but it doesn’t allow you to do that from your phone. :(

• 22 Feb 2012 Lauz said

Lauz

Just created this on fb for the tour so if any of you want to join- go for it!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/237283909695966/

• 22 Feb 2012 Lauz said

Lauz

Milez, im a little jealous- i wanted to do both the southern and the northern, but couldnt get that much time off work… next time!!!

• 22 Feb 2012 Milez619 said

Milez619

I’m surprised my boss let me have it off. Just gotta save like hell to afford it all now.

• 22 Feb 2012 Natalie said

Natalie

Our tour is full :D thats so exciting.

• 23 Feb 2012 JoJo said

JoJo

Hi Guys…
    I’ve just booked this tour! It’s my first contiki! Going after I go to summer camp in Canada!! So excited! Can’t wait to meet you all.

• 24 Feb 2012 Alexis said

Default_avatar

Im going! Cant wait :) Just need to save up to pay it off now!

• 14 Mar 2012 kelly said

Default_avatar

Hi guys,
    I just booked onto this tour, im so excited!!!

• 29 Mar 2012 Ashe16 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys my partner and I are doing this tour aswell! so get ready to party! :P ill go on to the fb page too so can meet use all before hand :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.