Community_discussions_small  

Question

Asian Adventure Feb 26 - March 10

17 Jan 2012 D-Gunz asked

D-Gunz

Who else is going on this trip?

• 18 Jan 2012 paris.cherynne said

paris.cherynne

Hiya im going on the tour departing on the 26th, if thats the one you mean?

• 18 Jan 2012 D-Gunz said

D-Gunz

Yes! This is my trip… so where are you flying from?

• 19 Jan 2012 Canadian Girl said

Canadian Girl

Hey! I’m going on the Big Indochina Adventure, which combines the Asian Adventure and Vietnam Experience. I’m from Canada and I’m arriving in Bangkok on the 25th.

• 22 Jan 2012 paris.cherynne said

paris.cherynne

Im flying from the gold coast, australia :)

• 24 Jan 2012 D-Gunz said

D-Gunz

@ Paris, Awesome! almost a month a way, can’t wait!

• 25 Jan 2012 paris.cherynne said

paris.cherynne

Yeah the time is going so quickly! Are you spending any days in bangkok beforehand?

• 25 Jan 2012 D-Gunz said

D-Gunz

I’m leaving SF on saturday and it takes 22 hrs for me to get there, so i’ll be arriving around 9am on Sunday! … I am also spending a week on my own after the tour flying to Phuket, ko phi phi and whatever i feel like seeing! (scuba diving, booze cruises, etc)

paris.cherynne

Oh awesome! Yeah im going to phuket after as well, but to do a second contiki lol. Soooo looking forward to the holiday. And some sun! We’ve had torrential rain here for the last couple of weeks. Its driving me insane! Haha

• 25 Jan 2012 Canadian Girl said

Canadian Girl

If it makes you feel any better we have had snow and ice rain (although it has been pretty mild lately). I was originally thinking about doing just the Asian Adventure and going to Phuket, etc. as well, but I’ve also heard great things about Vietnam, so I decided to go with the Big Indochina Adventure. You guys will have to let me know how the islands are – might have to make another trip back lol

paris.cherynne

The rain is gone now and its a beautiful sunny day! Its australia day, so the weather had to get its shit together. I agree, im looking forward to vietnam. I considered skippping it too, but i decided i may as well do i much as i can when i can get the time off work. Oh and miss. Canada, whats your name? Haha

• 25 Jan 2012 D-Gunz said

D-Gunz

Sorry guys… but its been 40-60 degrees …bright and sunny California sunshine =) It as bitter cold the past few weeks; we haven’t seen rain since thanksgiving in Nov!
    -David

• 26 Jan 2012 Canadian Girl said

Canadian Girl

Are you kidding me, David. November??? That’s awesome!
    I’m just thinking the more miserable it is now – the more I will enjoy the sunshine on our trip. :) So for the next month – bring on winter! lol
    Happy Australia day Paris! p.s. my name is Krista

• 31 Jan 2012 Canadian Girl said

Canadian Girl

How much spending money are you guys planning on bringing?

• 31 Jan 2012 D-Gunz said

D-Gunz

Everything is DIRT cheap over there; so I would say for two weeks, maybe $300USD max … I know that taxi’s are like $3 and food is dirt cheap and massages too; I can’t think of anything that is expensive. I just got my package yesterday and they said something about us paying $185USD on day 1? I’m staying an extra 10 days to go diving down south in Phuket and Ko Phi Phi

• 2 Feb 2012 Canadian Girl said

Canadian Girl

That’s crazy! I’ve heard it’s dirt cheap too. Definitely need to pack light so there’s room for extra stuff on the way back! lol 25 days left!!

• 3 Feb 2012 Thorsten said

Default_avatar

Dear all! I’m from Germany. OK, so much for the facts. Apart from this you’ll definitely be looking forward to taking this trip. I did the Vietnam Experience in 2010 and it was my best and cheapest vacation every! And with Contiki alone I did 12 other tours before that around the world. So be sure you’ll have a blast! I just booked the Asian Adventure two days ago and think of going to Hoi An (Vietnam) afterwards for three nights to get some more clothes tailored and enjoy the superb vietnamese food. Always short on holiday bookings… anyway, I contacted my Vietnam Tour Manager from back then the other day and she told me the following about this tour (I’ll just quote the parts I think being important to all of us):

“If you are doing the Asian Adventure then – provided it hasn’t changed since last year – then you can get you Laos visa and Cambodian visa at border. Laos visa is $30 plus $1 extra if you cross on weekend, and Cambodia is $20. You need a photo for each – take extras just in case. You need crisp, clean US dollars. Cambodia use US dollars as their currency so if you have a wee bit extra it’s not a problem as you will use it up.

Also, in Laos you go to a place called COPE – look it up. It’s really interesting and deals in Landmines in Cambodia. For around $70 you can buy someone a leg – they don’t take credit card so better to have extra US dollars just in case. They do really fabulous work and people on your tour are usually disappointed to not know before they come that they don’t take credit cards – so now you know.

And in Phnom Penh do yourself a favour and go to the restaurant called ‘Friends’. They will only let you book if you have more than 10 people, otherwise you just line up. It runs training program’s for homeless and disadvantaged youth and is one of the best run of this type I have seen. You get loads of them now in Cambodia but most of them are not legitimate. The food at this one is superb. Service a bit slow, and only ‘just’ slight dearer than other places – but great atmosphere, the staff are lovely and the food spectacular. Best to order a number of dishes and share. eg. if there are 4 of you, order 6 dishes – but if there are 8 of you, then pick 5 dishes and order 2 of each! You can always order more if you need to. Usually group do own dinner then meet for drinks after – so get tuk tuk from front of hotel – you could walk if you really wanted but it’s a long hot day and a tuk tuk is max $2 for up to 4 people."

Mail back if you like and be sure to bring lots of 1 USD notes for tipping (also room service). That will even increase their constant smile and you’ll get way better service in return or bedtime sweets as far as room service is concerned. Because as for Vietnam I know that a sales assistant only makes USD 150 a month and they only get off two days a month (and I don’t mean 2 days plus weekends)! So now you know what a single dollar tip means to them (that’s two days work!) and nothing to us.

Have a kick-ass day y’all and meet you in Bangkok! Thorsten :-)

P.S. Is there anyone in Bangkok before the tour starts? If so I’d shift my outbound flight from Frankfurt one day to the front and we could explore the city together!

• 7 Feb 2012 Liora said

Default_avatar

Hey, another Canadian girl here :)

I’m going on the Indochina Adventure starting the 26th. I’m getting to our hotel a day earlier, anyone else gonna be there?
    -Liora

• 8 Feb 2012 paris.cherynne said

paris.cherynne

Hiya, ill be there for a couple of days before, as flights only leave the gold coast (aus) on thursdays! Lol. Hoping to do some shopping and hit up the forensic museum for something a little different haha

• 8 Feb 2012 D-Gunz said

D-Gunz

Sweet, I’ll be flying in on the 26th in the morning arriving around 10:30am. It’s like 22hrs from San Francisco =(

• 8 Feb 2012 Canadian Girl said

Canadian Girl

I’m arriving in Bangkok on the 25th as well. Liora – when do you get into Bangkok?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.