Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.
- 24 responses so far
I really feel for you! I’m praying that it doesnt happen to me because I would be in the exact same position as you. I have to be on a fairly tight scedual as flights have already been booked and we have places to be.
Try to see the positives tho because you may end up finding out you love some of the places that wernt on your original tour and that are on the new 1 if u decide to do another 1 that is.
I dono im talkin cr@p but 3 weeks in the UK with plenty of money has never been a bad thing.
10 wks out puts you in early April.
Are there any other tours that interest u? Many tours depart from London. Or perhaps take one that doesn’t depart from London? What about combining 2 shorter tours? There are a few options to juggle with.
Remember – nothing is guaranteed except death and taxes.
quote:one that doesn’t depart from London? What about combining 2 shorter tours? There are a few options to juggle with.
Remember – nothing is guaranteed except death and taxes.
when would you know if your tour is going a head or not?
Yeah guys, sorry but our tour was for Great Britain / Southern Ireland departing April 5th 2007. Have commitments before and after unfortunately which will relate to us losing money.
Hey Aussi dale, thanks for the advice. really helped. May look at doing smaller tour and then independant travel throughout Europe again.
Cheers and Happy Australia Day
Hey matt, Mick here from the forums. Actually live on the gold coast as well. We got the bad news 9 weeks out from our trip, supposed to leave this april. we did a contiki 2 years ago in europe which wasn’t a guarunteed departure and it was fine but unfortunately this trip didn’t work out. Not good hey ????
Hey Mick, that really really sucks. If you cannot find an organised tour to do that fits within your dates and takes you where you want to go then you should do it independently. You should be able to get a bus pass or something like that to cover your transportation needs around the UK. Grab some lonely planet books and do some research. My boyfriend swears by LP!
Good luck mate, Im sure you’ll work something out and end up having a great time regardless.
I so feel your pain mate! My tour beginning late-March was cancelled on Friday. My friend & I have booked things prior to the tour & after it that cannot be cancelled/refunded. Finding a new tour that covers the same dates is virtually impossible so we will now most probably have to abandon some booked stuff including non-refundable hotel bookings & theatre tickets. All these people who say to book into the following tour…do you people have jobs? We can’t just change our holiday dates whenever we please. Other people at work have scheduled holiday times too. 8 weeks prior to the date this happened.
Sorry To hear that mike <!--graemlin::(-->
I just paid for my tour in full the other day, it leaves on the 25th of march (Euro Encounter).
When I booked I had to call for avaliability, which apparently means theres less then 10 spots avaliable.
I stand to loose alot if my tour got cancled, my flights are set in stone. cant move them etc (because I used frequent flyer points + taxes <!--graemlin::(--> )
I guess all I can do is wait?
Hey Melbourne girl. What a hand we have been dealt hey ? We are both in very ordinary positions hey. U should see my place! Littered with travel brochures trying desperately to find a replacement tour with dates that work. We were doing Great britain / southern ireland and now the best we can try and do is berlin & prague for 7 days and then travel independantly for the other 2 weeks. Its really like settling for wahtever is available.
Hey sally, Should get full refund from contiki but not from everything else that we booked in and around our tour. Its like we are settling for something that we dont want to do and hopefully it turns out well for us. Thanks for the heads up and will look into it.
Hey everyone – my Road to Athens tour has also been cancelled – and my travel agent rang me on my birthday to tell me!! I’m so disappointed, coz like everyone else, we had other stuff organised before and after the tour. And we have to re-arrange all our flights, which I found out today is going to cost me at least $660.00 to do. I wonder if Contiki would be so kind as to pay this for me? <!--graemlin:;)--> (Yeah right!!)
Hi sally, Its so hard to have to replan a trip with only 9 weeks out. Every tour that we take a liking to , the dates just dont work. And we dont want to do a tour that we have already done before. Looks like we will just travel independantly and see some great places by ourselves. The only contiki tour we are looking at is berlin and prague for only 7 days….
Hey dolphincass. What a birthday gift you received ! Thats the worst news ! Are you still going to do the road to athens tour ?
Hey guys, sorry to hear about all your bad news. After reading all your messages i’m starting to freak out about my tour date and am seeing how much it would cost me to swap to a guaranteed departure date now. Have any of you taken a look at the tours being run by top deck tours? They are very very similar to contiki and may have a tour that runs in the time you need it. Their website is http://www.topdecktours.co.uk/content.asp?Document_ID=16
Otherwise what about busabout? Its a bus company designed for backpackers where you jump on and off as you like around europe.
Their website is http://www.busabout.com
Hope this information helps someone. Goodluck
Yeah, we’re still going to do RTA, but now we depart on 1st May. We looked at every other Contiki tour, as well as what all the other tour operators offer, and nothing even comes close to the RTA – we want to see Italy and Greece, with a visit to Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius in between, but we couldn’t find anything other than RTA that would do this.
Just found our from our travel agent that we have to pay an extra $1450.00 because of all this – NOT HAPPY JAN!! I’m sure it will be worth it in the end, but right now I’m still trying to get over the stress of having our fabulously planned holiday chucked in the blender!! <!--graemlin::(--> What tour will you do? I hope you find one that works in well with your other plans.
Wow, reading this message board really freaked me out. We are booked on a road to athens in april. So I went and checked out our trip to see if it was still going and guess what? it has been changed to a guarenteed departure. It was not guaranteed when we booked it. I am soo happy because this was the only time I could go.
That sucks that your trip was cancelled. I too have many flights booked around this trip and would lose money if I did not get to go on it.
Hi guys <!--graemlin::)-->
My tour got cancelled too <!--graemlin::(--> !!! Luckilly i managed to get on another tour which leaves the same day but costs a little more and goes for a little longer. Same thing though i only got 10 weeks to go!
All i can say is im glad i got on this website, as i knew that my tour had been cancelled before my travel agent did! So i got her to get off her bum and get me on this other one, which was at the time call for availability!
Talk about stress!
Alright hope everyone gets theres sorted!
European Highlights 2nd May 07
(Formally of the Horizon tour….)
Well unfortunately for us we wont be able to take as good a tour as we were hoping for.Looks like i will be hosting my own tour of Europe this April. Anyone wana come???? Will definately be seeing lots of cool places but wont be meeting all you cool people! Anyway may be catching the Berlin and Prague tour for 7 days with Contiki as no other dates would work and we didn’t want to do a similar tour to what we have done. Congrats to all who have secured new tours and dates!
Hey Chelle, Looks like my partner and i will take in Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin, Barcelona, Berlin, Prague, Paris and London in our stay. Where will you and your friend be visiting ?
We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.