Community_discussions_small  

Question

is the heathrow tube still under construction? london advice also please?

2 Jun 2007 Bree 24aus asked

Default_avatar
Hi,

(with 1 week to go i realised i'd better make sure i know what to do when arriving)

Q. is the heathrow tube station still under construction? (if so, there's just a shuttle bus or something to the next station? what do you do/where to go?)
(if not, just tube piccadilly line north to rus square right?)

also i arrive 6am the day before my tour.
that day i'd do the original/red bus tour i guess?

and then i've got 5 days in london after my tour..
should i get a london pass, or just a tube pass? would the bus tour already have included most stuff that the london pass will include?
are these both just available from the contiki basement?
does the tube/london pass include trips if i want to go for a day out of london, south or wherever?

also does the contiki basement sell london guide books? is it better to but a book before (like the éyewitness'books) or just wait til i get there?

a few questions i know.

Any advice greatley appreciated!!
  • 3 Jun 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

The day you arrive is a good time to do the original or red bus tour. There is a fairly big difference in price. The red bus is more expensive but includes walking tours and a thames cruise, maybe some other stuff too. It’s only worth the extra money if you use one of those.

After tour – i’m not sure what the london pass includes. but you could certainly just get a tube pass and do things on your own. then plan some day trips out of the city, like Bath. You can book most of this stuff at the Contiki basement and will get a small discount on most of it.

• 3 Jun 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Heathrow tube is NOT under construction anymore. I took it direct to Russell Square station about 2 weeks ago.

Taking the bus tour is highly recommended. The “Original” tour costs GBP 18 at the Contiki Basement and now you do get a ticket for a Thames cruise within the next 24h.

After your tour you might want to get an Oyster Card for your tube transit. Cheaper. More convenient for several days stay. You would "see "a lot on the bus tour, but really if you want to get into things and look at places in depth, you need to stop for hours and explore. That’s what the tube pass gives you.

Get your London guide book at home. It’s probably cheaper. I didn’t see them for sale at the Basement.

• 4 Jun 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

great thanks guys!

god it’s almost here, am freaking out a little!

yeah i think the bus tour is the way to go for the first day. i guess i’ll see how much energy i have after the flight, if i want to do the red bus tour ie. do the walking tour bit.
    the thames sounds good too.

though i spose i have the 5 days after to walk lots and for the thames. and to not rush it too much.

the london pass seems to include a lot – all attractions, museums, fod places etc. i think it was about 60 pounds. though the website isn’t heaps specific.

that or the oyster card is def the way to go i think.

thanks!!
    anything else you think of please let me know!!

Bree Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 5 Jun 2007 Samantha said

Default_avatar

I’d recommend getting the oyster card the moment you start using the Tube (that is, at the Heathrow Tube station) Cos you’ll end up making quite substantial savings using oyster than using single trip tickets.

• 6 Jun 2007 Amanda said

Default_avatar

Don’t know if you have left yet. I live here and when my brother visited me he got a london pass but only just got the value out of it. A lot of the things like museums are free any way. He wouldn’t recommend it. Living here i know that your best option is to get an oyster card either two 3 day passes consecutively or a week pass which is around 25 or 27 pounds about $60 for zones 1 and 2 but it is well worth it as every time you tap in and out it will charge you. Be aware that if you get pre pay oyster (like a top up) it will cap off at around 4.80 pound a day and not charge you again so depending on what you do that may even be cheaper. If you want to travel out of london to the south etc you will need to buy a separate rail ticket past your oyster zones. Hope this helps if you get it in time.

• 8 Jun 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

thank!!
    yeah leaving sunday this is prob my last check of the message board!
    yeah thanks that does help!
    i’m a little confused about the prepay oyster card.
    so say $60 for 6 days (if that’s what you meant?) so 10 bucks a day.
    or prepay caps at about 5 pound – about $15.
    so not too different, provided you were in lndon using it every day.

Thanks heaps again!!!!

• 8 Jun 2007 Amanda said

Default_avatar

Just to clarify

Pre pay – charges you every time you tap in and out but will cap at around 5 pound. So after that you can travel in and out of stations without being further charged. Can be cheaper if only using a few days or one trip in a day etc.

Oyster- Cheaper overall if you travel continuously through the week (7 days)and each day. That is a week ‘travelcard’ for $60 but you can also get 3 day travelcards or day travelcards.

It all depends on how long you need it or how often you will use it.

Ask the guy in the ticket office, most of the time they are very helpful. Tell him what you expect to do and he will give you the best/cheapest option. Haven’t known them not to.

Enjoy your trip.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.