Community_discussions_small  

Question

Camera Advice

26 Jan 2012 BookwormMel asked

BookwormMel

I'm looking at buying a new camera for my contiki tour to document the wonderful sights. I was wondering whether I should go with a larger camera with a larger zoom capability or if I should go with a smaller model with better megapixles thats waterproof and shock proof up to 10m.
Here are my options:
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital-cameras/nikon/aw100-16mp-digital-camera-blue-sku-71168/
OR
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital-cameras/nikon/p500-12-1mp-digital-camera-sku-66679/

I was just wondering what other peoples experiences were with cameras

• 4 Feb 2012 Adam said

Adam

Hey, Ill be ending my tour in Paris 8th to 10th but I also wanted a SLR Camera for all the memory’s so I went out and got the Canon 1100D which is a great starting camera and comes with a 18mm-55mm lens. I have a good camera keen friend who said its perfect. Its easy to use, great pic’s, HD Video and I bought mine for $398 special from Harvey Norman. Ill send u the link so you can check it out!!

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/canon-eos-1100d-dslr-camera-black-single-lens-18-55mm.html

Adam

• 4 Feb 2012 BookwormMel said

BookwormMel

Ah! I wish I had known they had a special on SLR’s! I ended up buying a sony yesterday because I leave soon and didnt want to leave it to the last minute. I’m definitely jealous of this catch, your photos will be brilliant! What month are you over in Paris? I’m over there in solo April, hoping to find some contiki peeps to explore with!

• 6 Feb 2012 Rhys said

Rhys

I know you just bought a camera, Sony’s are quite good. But just a couple of things to look for in a Travel Camera. Find something with a good zoom, sometimes you cant get as close as you’d like for that good photo. Another tip is to find one that uses AA batteries, you can easily pick them up just about anywhere (an easily carry spares), otherwise if its a rechargeable battery type camera just make sure you charge the battery every night just in case.

• 7 Feb 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’m personally a Canon fan and love my DSLR. But there is something to be said for a small camera. I wouldn’t get the water proof/shock proof unless you plan on doing a lot of stuff involving water. You’re money is better spent on getting a better zoom or megaixels.

If you go with a DSLR I would get another lens then the 18-55, not much zoom there. I would also either pick up a 55-200 lens (often offered with a discount on a camera package) or get an 18-135 or 18-200 lens – they’re reasonably priced (the 18-135 is a better quality lens then the 18-200) and offer good flexibility. After my last tour I bought an 18-135 because too often I didn’t have the other lens with me or time to bother changing lenses and loved it on my last trip.

• 7 Feb 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

you can’t really go wrong with Nikon, so it doesnt really matter which one you pick

• 8 Feb 2012 MichaelClark said

MichaelClark

I have a Canon SX 210 IS.
    It is compact, but has a good zoom for it’s size.
    It has a 14 x Optical Zoom.
    14.1 MegaPixel.

• 16 Feb 2012 Emily-May said

Default_avatar

I haven’t travelled overseas but as a student of photography I have decided not to take my good DSLR with me. They can get on your nerves just carrying around at a friend’s party, I’m not going to try travelling in a foreign country for the first time with it.

• 16 Feb 2012 Missamr said

Default_avatar

I have a DSLR but i wont be taking it with me. To bulky. Im taking my Canon SX210 IS like Michael’s. I can slide it in my handbag or backpack with out adding bulk or to much additional weight. As for taking Videos – im taking my GoPro. :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.