Community_discussions_small  

Comment

London pass and travelcard vs oystercard

27 Nov 2010 m0lly said

Default_avatar
Help please from anyone who knows anything about London!!
Im going to be spending 6 days in London between tours staying at the Generator Hostel (in zone 1). Is it worth getting the 6 day London pass? I understand that you get discounts and free access to 55 or so attractions (but not including a couple of big ones that i want to do such as madame tussauds and the london eye) Would it be worth it to skip the queues? And would I have to run around like crazy to try and get my money worth from it! Also if i get a london pass would it be cheaper to buy one with travel - so you get a travelcard or would it be cheaper just to get an oyster card when im there and pay as i go?
  • 27 Nov 2010 Hayley said

Hayley

My advice would be to try to plan out your days. Maybe do a couple of attractions that are nearby so perhaps you can walk to them.

Secondly, what time of year are you going? Depending on the time of year, it may be extremely worth it to skip the queues! (In August, I waited nearly an hour in line to go on the London Eye!)

If you want to do a lot of touristy stuff, then the London Pass looks like a great value (some of the attractions can be quite high!)

Hope you have a fab time, London is amazing!

• 27 Nov 2010 m0lly said

Default_avatar

Thanks! Ive looked at the main attractions that I want to go to and seems like the London Pass would save money or at least work out the same but would be able to skip queues which is vital since im going in August!!
    The travelcard that comes with it is for zones 1-6 so ive realised no point paying for that, i might just get a 7 day travelcard for zones 1-2 when i get there (much cheaper than 1-6).. and then it just means i dont have to worry about running out of balance and having to top up or collect leftover credit.

• 2 Feb 2011 graham said

graham

if you can goto portsmouth and go into the old docks were we keep all our old ships and the worlds oldest still in use today HMS Victory.

• 27 Jul 2011 Estelle said

Estelle

Most of the attractions are in Zone 1-2. However, all buses anywhere are designated zone 3. It might be worth it getting a zone 3 weekly travel card and just take buses. If you need to use the train/tube then buy a prepaid oyster and use that. Prepaid is cheaper than buying an individual ticket. Even though you are here for 6 days it might also be better to get a 3 or 4 day london pass as I think that is more than enough time to see everything you want to. A lot of the stuff you can also do on your own that doesn’t require standing in queues eg shopping on oxford street. Also look on the London eye website as they have combo deals on specifically London Eye/Thames River Cruise/Madame Taussads/London Aquarium saving quite a bit of money. (See that’s already one day where you don’t need the London Pass) :) If you’re wanting to catch a theatre production or almost anything else check out lastminute.com – they have fantastic deals on theatre tickets etc – I went to watch Chicago last night and paid almost half price for a great seat! Hope it helps…

• 22 Jul 2012 Kiwikarly86 said

Kiwikarly86

Make a list of what you want to see and do and then compare what you can see with the London Pass. I found a lot of what I wanted to do wasn’t included or was for free so in that respect it can be a waste of money. For instance London eye, Madame Tussauds, Buckingham Palace not included and the British Museum and Tate Modern were free. I got a 7 day travelcard which I used on the tube, the overground trains, the buses and I used to get a discount on the Thames Cruise so getting that really was justified as I made up for my lack of use with the London Pass with it lol.

• 23 Jul 2012 JMull91 said

JMull91

I’m going with the travel card. There’s so much on there that I want to see such as:

*Tower of London
    *St Paul’s

• Westminster Abbey
      *London Zoo
      *HMS Belfast
      *Churchill War Rooms
      *Wembley Stadium Tour
      *Lords Cricket Ground Tour

Really up to the individual though. If there’s plenty of things on the list that you want to see then you should get the pass.

• 3 Jun 2013 tashdem5 said

Default_avatar

where do you buy the pass from?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.