Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best of USA - April or May start?

28 Jan 2012 Olga asked

Default_avatar

Hi everyone, I am planning to go on the Best of USA tour starting LA but have a lot of trouble deciding between the two dates - April 19-May 2 and May 24-June 6. My main concern is how comfortable the weather will be for sightseeing and lots of walking (especially in New York since I am planning to spend a few extra days there after the tour is over). I tried looking at a few weather sites but the info seems to vary. Can somebody suggest anything based on their experience? I want to go when it's a bit cool but not so cold that you have to limit the time spent outdoors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated (I really need to make up my mind asap!).

• 30 Jan 2012 AAB90 said

AAB90

Hi Olga

I am doing this tour on April 19-May 2 because it’s closest to the middle of spring in the norther hemisphere.

I have no prior experience but if you need an answer asap then I can tell you based on my research that Los Angeles and San Francisco seem to be cold because of the Mediterranean climate zone. Average is 17 degrees in April and 19 in May. Las Vegas is in the middle of the desert so it will be very hot with little rain, probably around 30 degree or so days but less in April. Im not so sure about NY, it looks the same as California but gets hotter from April to May by 6 degrees average.

A bit vague I know but I hope it helps, heres the FB page for the April 19 – May 2 tour date – http://www.facebook.com/groups/310876608931103/

• 30 Jan 2012 Olga said

Default_avatar

Hi there, thanks for your reply, that’s actually a pretty good summary of what to expect weather-wise. Did you look at any particular weather site or just did some random googling? I’ll be sure to check out the facebook group!

• 1 Feb 2012 AAB90 said

AAB90

Just some random googling and getting info from site that looked legit enough. Are u more of a winter person like I am? I wanted to go in winter but then I realized it could just rain everyday and that would ruin outdoor activities. So yeah, I aimed for spring.

• 3 Feb 2012 Olga said

Default_avatar

I think I am more of an in-between-season person:) So I have pretty much decided to go with the 24th of May departure, that way I’ll get some cool weather in LA and San Fran and also some warm temperatures in NY. Plus, having thought about it some more, by then it will be cold and rainy in Sydney, so I will probably feel like going somewhere warm. Anyway, thanks for all your advice! Hope to see some feedback when you get back from your trip!

• 3 Feb 2012 Olga said

Default_avatar

And for anybody who might be interested in this in future, here’s what I found when comparing temperatures for these two departures (all info from http://www.wunderground.com/)

19 April-2 May tour
    Average temperatures in Celsius: LA 18, San Fran 14, Las Vegas 20, NY 15

24 May-6 June tour
    Average temperatures in Celsius: LA 18, San Fran 14, Las Vegas 23, NY 24

• 9 Feb 2012 ChrisMasonNZ said

Default_avatar

Hi Olga,

Im planning to go in May as well, it should be a bit warmer and as you said this side of the world will be a bit colder so will be a nice change! (Im from Auckland)

Have you been on a Contiki before?

Chris

• 11 Feb 2012 Olga said

Default_avatar

Hi Chris, having read some reviews of this trip, I am not sure I want to go on it any more…it sounds a bit too hectic for me, plus very early flights, so I think I might go with something like NY Uncovered and then go see a few other cities on my own. Haven’t been on a contiki before, so don’t really have anything to say about it.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.