Community_discussions_small  

Question

Christchurch sights and things to do

29 Jan 2012 AussieExplorer2012 asked

AussieExplorer2012

So on my final day in NZ im staying at the Bealey's Hotel in CHC. I was wondering is there anything to see there before i leave for the airport and head back home to sydney. anybody know some cool places to shop? some nice places to take photos and relax. grab a bite and see some attractions if there are any. also will it still be affected the the earthquakes in winter june/july this year. advice please thx from previous travellers or people that live in NZ :)

Rach

• 29 Jan 2012 BookwormMel said

BookwormMel

I think it depends on the time of year you’re over there.
    The World Buskers Festival is on at the moment, which is always a great sight. All throughout the city centre there are live roving performers. I think it only takes place in January though.
    If you like theatre shows, I’d recommend The Court Theatre’s Scared Scriptless. Its an improvisation based show so its different every time you see it. I’m pretty sure the old Court Theatre in the arts centre was effected by the earthquakes but they have set up some where else. http://www.courttheatre.org.nz/index.cfm/1,22,0,0,html/Scared-Scriptless
    There used to be markets on the weekends in Cathedral Square but I think that is one of the places that has been roped off from the public due to the damage.
    If you like scenery, look into riding the Christchurch Gondola. (Again after the earthquakes I’m not sure if it will still be in operation.

Here is a handy link I found for travelling in ChCh Post-earthquake that might be helpful
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/new-zealand/christchurch-and-canterbury/christchurch/travel-tips-and-articles/76708

If you can I’d recommend going to Kaikoura, its about 2 hours from Christchurch if my memory serves. Its a beautiful place with lovely scenery and friendly people. I always stay at Bay Cottages in South Bay. Its a family owned Bed and Breakfast, occaisionally they take guests out 4WDing and to pull in the cray fish nets.

• 29 Jan 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

Okay well im staying at a Contiki hotel – Bealey’s Hotel (on Bealeys Avenue) so i cant stay anywhere else. I’ll check out tthe web link. Thank you very much. I’ll see what is possible considering the post-earthquake stuff. :) Thanks!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion