Community_discussions_small  

Question

Snacks and food on the tour

29 Jan 2012 AussieExplorer2012 asked

AussieExplorer2012

So during the tour im guessing ill need snacks for during the bus trips to and from the NZ outings and going around the different places during the 15 day GRAND EXPLORER tour. What snacks should i bring that are light weight? Should i bring them on the flight over to NZ Auckland or buy them in NZ before the tour starts and during when we stop off at places. And find a servo or something near the hotel on the nights before we leave for the next destination? Advice appreciated. Previous Travellers would be much obliged to please comment and give me advice.

Rach

• 29 Jan 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

hi rach one of the discussion threads that i started had gotten some really great posted onto by people
    here are some of the suggestions i recieved:

- the driving isn’t too long between stops. I might be biaised being a Kiwi but some of my favourite snacks from around the world are from home so if you have a sweet tooth, make a point of trying as much as you can! I recommend the following:
    Sweets & chocolate: Perky nanas, Pixie caramels, Pineapple lumps, Jaffas, Raspberry twists, Minties, Moro bars, Mars bars (the taste is different to the ones you get overseas), Caramello or Rocky Road dairy milk or Milky bar chocolate (again, different to overseas).
    Biscuits/cookies: CookieTime cookies (any flavour), Toffeepops, Squiggles (hokey pokey flavour is the best), Mallowpuffs (the rocky road version is really good).
    Crisps & crackers: Twisties, Cheezels, Rashuns, Grainwaves, Kettle Fries, thick cut crisps, Shapes
    If you stop at a service station, and have time before you get back on the coach, try a meat pie from the pie warmer! And make sure you get fish & chips at least once and sit down by the beach, lake or river to eat them (with Watties tomato sauce to have with them).
    Have an amazing time. When do you leave?

–I have never been stopped taking things through to Europe. Heading into Australia is where you have to be careful with the strict customs regulations! Though in saying that, I have taken lots of packaged foods through and it has been absolutely fine! Generally as long as it is packaged and no fresh then all will be fine!

hope that helps! :):):):) and see you there !

• 29 Jan 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

also, if you can at the hotel at breakfast try and grab a few snacks for the bus trip eg apples biscuits stuff that is easy to keep in ur bag …. i did that several times wen i went over to europe and generally speaking you wont need to stock up as it isnt too far from each destination :)

• 29 Jan 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

okay ill do that during breakfast then :P haha! kay good to hear. thx Alex!

• 29 Jan 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

no worries :):):)

• 29 Jan 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

hehe sweet :) any other advice pass it onto me please okay. Otherwise ill just keep posted with any grand explorer/new zealand discussion posts.

• 1 Feb 2012 Dan_NZ said

Dan_NZ

everyone usually buys food and snacks on the stops, bus stops like every 2 hours or so usually near a cafe or something

• 1 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

haha perfect :) thank you

• 5 Feb 2012 damien said

Default_avatar

Buy your snacks on tour . Our bus driver didnt allow any hot food or dairy as they go straight through the Aircon. But youll get plenty of food and toilet stops along the trip. Basicaly everything we can get in Aus you can buy there maybe with a slightly different name

• 5 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

oh well sounds good thx damien.

• 7 Feb 2012 MeaganMendezd said

Default_avatar

I’m a culinary student right now, and I’m looking for food tours in Italy, I’m not sure which region yet.
    Hcg platinum

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion