Community_discussions_small  

Question

Skydive in Queenstown

29 Jan 2012 AlexG asked

AlexG

Has anyone done the skydive in Queestown during winter? Does anyone know if it still operates during the winter season??

Any help would be appreciated thanks

• 29 Jan 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

yeh i really wanna do it too. yeh great question – any assistance people?

• 17 Apr 2012 madilegs said

madilegs

Hey girls. Sky diving will be cancelled if the weather is terrible, just the same as it does in all countries, but it’s operational all year round:)

• 18 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

okay thx

• 18 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

hey thanks for that :)

• 21 Apr 2012 ThereseGrennard said

ThereseGrennard

yay! does anybody know how much difference the different heights make? Should one go for the 12.000 or 15.000 feet? Im dead excited! :D

• 21 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

i think u get more time in the freefall before u have to open ur chute so the higher u go the more freefalll … i think thats the difference :):):) im soooo excited wat tour r u doing ThereseGrennard??? im going on the grand exlporer auckland to christchurch leaving 30 june :)

• 22 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

Omg wow – i wanna do a skydive so badly! im doing grand explorer starting auckland also starting june 30th.

• 22 Apr 2012 Capsfan811 said

Capsfan811

What are your guy’s thoughts on it being Winter over there in June? I’m on the Grand Explorer leaving June 16th and part of me wants to bail out but my my other half says stick with it. I didn’t take into consideration that my summer here in the States means it’s Winter down there. When I think of New Zealand, I think water activities and what not. I feel like the tour isn’t going to be as exciting because I’m scared we won’t be able to do as much. You guys know the Winters down there, is it cold enough to cancel stuff?
    Thanks,
    Alex

• 22 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

Hey it doesnt get as cold as it does over in the states but it can get down to the 1’s & 2’, so definitely bring a beanie and a scarf. You will still be able to do water sports like jet boating, rafting etc but ull be wearing thermal type wet suits. Being winter also introduces more sports that you wudnt be able to do in summer like skiingand snowboarding. Unless there is something going on at home etc, i wudnt bail out of the trip. Youll have the time of your life an you wont regret doing the tour. Youll meet so many new people and even though youll be out of ur comfort zone, youll most likely do things that you wouldnt even think about doing bak in the states. Hope this helps

• 22 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

Oh and i forgot, if your looking at doing bungy jumping or skydiving, well most of the optionals, unless the weathers really bad, eg looks like its gonna storm or snow watever, then the optionals wont be cancelled

• 23 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

im worried about the whole winter thing too. but im excited :)

• 23 Apr 2012 Capsfan811 said

Capsfan811

Hopefully we will get lucky and the weather will be warm. Here in the States, we had a pretty warm winter so let’s hope the same goes for NZ.

• 27 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

dont jinx it lol i wudnt mind seeing some snow this year :)

• 27 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

i wanna see snow too.

• 30 Apr 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

hmm sorry to be a downer by NZ was pretty cold (by Australian standards) even in the middle of summer when I went over :S I think if it’s just cold though they wouldn’t cancel these optionals, it would be more if it was raining/storming/snowwing. I think Queenstown is a pretty awesome place for snow in the winter so you might get some awesome views coming down out of the plane!!
    I went skydiving in Fiji last year, the difference in the heights is the amount of time you get to freefall and they also reckon its easier to jump the higher you are as it’s more surreal. I also bungee jumped in NZ and I think that was harder than skydiving as you’re alot closer to the ground (not to mention you have to jump yourself not have someone else jump for you and you’re just there for the ride!!! Would totally do both again though!!
    Are you going to Auckland as part of the tour?? there is a controlled base jump from the skytower which is pretty fun there!! would def recommend that!!

• 30 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

hey jen .. .i dont mind the cold lol better than summer :):) … im def doing the skydiving and the bungy jumping :) …yea on my tour which leaves jun 30 starts in auckland and leaves around 11am but u only get a couple of hours max in auckland on the tour anyways

• 30 Apr 2012 Gabbaz said

Default_avatar

Hey guys I’m going to nz in July to ski and was thinking about going sky diving so this chat has been helpful. As for the? Base jump in Auckland u have to try it! I walked around the outside of it and then jumped.it. it was amazing! Hopefully u will be able to fit it in Alex

• 1 May 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

Omg wow……

• 1 May 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh bummer Alex!! I did the tour the other way around so finished in Auckland and had a day afterwards so could squeeze it in then!! If you don’t get a chance, always gives you an excuse to come back another time!! :)

• 1 May 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

I agree Jen! lol :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion