Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Berlin to Budapest

19 Feb 2010 Zoe1982 said

Zoe1982
Has anyone recently done the Berlin to Budapest trip?? Would love to hear about it.
  • 26 Apr 2010 Explorer1179102 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys I go to Berlin-Budapeste on July 23th.

• 6 Jun 2010 Tara said

Default_avatar

I did the trip a few years ago. LOVED it! WOuld love to go back and do it again but i want see more places. Transportation system in Berlin is difficult to figure out. A lot of the trip is on communisms and holocust memorials. But it was good. Enjoyed the food, the beer. Not sure if Prague or Poland has switched over to the Euro yet but they were really cheap!

• 12 Jun 2010 Pirate Tara said

Default_avatar

I’d love to hear more about this trip too! Looks like we’ll be doing it Summer 2011.

• 9 Jul 2010 HelloNurse said

HelloNurse

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TRIP!!!

I did this trip in Oct. 2009 and had the time of my life. You are in each place for 2-3 days, enough time to get a good feel for it! There is so much hitory and the guides are fantastic!! Absolutely incredible tour and great hotels!

My only suggestion would be to do it earlier than October as it was freezing!!!

Cheers!!

• 20 Jul 2010 Explorer1153090 said

Explorer1153090

@explorer1179102. I am also going on Jukly 23rd. Where are you coming from?

• 21 Jul 2010 QuartInSession said

QuartInSession

I also took this tour in October and loved it. It was my first Contiki and I thought it had a great mix of culture, sightseeing and partying it up. Some people didn’t party at all though, and still loved the tour.

As HelloNurse says, you have enough time to get a good feel for each place with 2-3 nights (though I fell in love in Vienna and could have stayed for a week!). That was the major draw of this tour for me.

The only downer was having to say goodbye to new friends who only did Berlin-Prague or Berlin to Vienna.

I thought it was fine in October, temperature-wise (though I went earlier in the month) – Prague was +20 celsius! Budapest was cold and rainy though, which put a bit of a damper on our time there.

Anyway, you have plenty of free time if you want it, but the TA usually had something planned for us to join, and organized dinner and nightlife excursions often.

And yes, the guides Contiki chose in each city were fabulous and knowledgeable – this area of Europe is incredibly fascinating and all the cities are magnificent in their own way.

Do it! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 12 Aug 2010 Explorer1199656 said

Default_avatar

Hi HelloNurse and QuartInSession,

This will be my first Contiki trip as well, and I’m so excited…even more so now learning that you guys loved it too.
    What excursions did you guys do? I’m into architecture, history, and just enjoying the beauty of the cities. Do you have any suggestions?

I’m going on the Oct 15 tour. Should anyone going on the same trip sees this, please give me a holler!

• 18 Aug 2010 snacky1 said

Default_avatar

hi all!
    im muchly excited, this is my first contiki tour, but many of a tour that ive already done Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> anyone else going on 4th dec budapest to berlin? im travelling on my own, (27 aussie gal) would love to know anyone else thats going. hella looking forward to it!!!
    anything worth seeing in slovakia?

• 18 Aug 2010 Gombeek said

Gombeek

I just did this tour except i ended in Vienna, really wished i would have stayed to budapest. My tour guide was maggie and she was awesome, i cant wait to take another contiki tour! This was my first contiki tour and wasent sure what to expect.

DO ALL THE OPTIONALS ON THIS TOUR!

Berlin was fun but everyone was still trying to get to know each other, don’t be afraid to take the underground, it isn’t that hard and is really fast/cheap way to get around the city. The Reichstag was amazing as was the Palace. The breads in german are amazing!

Prague was the best time of my life, i jokingly said all i want to see was the bottom of a bottle and thats pretty much all i did. I didn’t do the boat trip and i really regret it. People really started to get to know each other here and it was lots of fun. Prague is still using their own currency and they will rip you off hard at the currency exchange there so bring lots, depending on how much you party and go out i used about 10000. this is quite a lot considering everything is super cheap but i went hard, you can probably get away with 4000-6000.

Vienna was far too short, 2 days isn’t enough, this was the most beautiful of all the cities, the concert was an expensive optional but well worth it. missed out on tasting the sacher torte and i really regret it, just means ill have to do this tour again Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

The food on all the dinners was amazing, breakfasts were pretty much the same from hotel to hotel and nothing special, that being said i only went to 2 or 3 of them as i was out all night.

I am not a picture guy and i took over 1000 pictures in the 9 days and would have done more except my battery kept running out.

good luck and have fun!

• 24 Aug 2010 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

^^ My thoughts exactly

• 14 Sep 2010 Explorer1199656 said

Default_avatar

Hi, for those of you who has done this trip, what are some recommended excursions? What are some dishes or restaurants/ scenes that are a must see?

Thanks muchy!

• 4 Oct 2010 Wez said

Wez

Thanks for the information guys, I’m looking at doing this tour in July 2011, it sounds awesome!

• 24 Oct 2010 LadyRainbow said

LadyRainbow

This is another tour on my list of the possible ones I’d like to do next year. It sounds fantastic! Anything else people should know? Or is it aaaaaaaall goooooood? Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

• 5 Nov 2010 Jill said

Default_avatar

I’ll be taking this trip in late December. I know it’ll be cold, but I was wondering what type of clothes to pack for going out at night. If anyone’s been on this trip, can you let me know what the dress codes are in Germany and Prague? Also, are there any places you would suggest visiting that Contiki doesn’t take you to? I have an extra day planned for Berlin.
    -Jill

• 7 Jan 2011 Carlin said

Default_avatar

I’m doing this trip in May! Anyone else?

• 9 Jan 2011 Jana05 said

Default_avatar

Hi This looks like a perfect trip for what I might want to do in the next little while. I am really wanting to do this. The problem is figuring out when to go. I was thinking the September 2nd departure but now looking more I might even try the early October! Let me know who might see this – I noticed one other person might do October 2011.

Jana, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Amsterdam to Barcelona 2008
    Britain and Scotland 2006
    London to Athens 2005

• 14 Mar 2011 Explorer1201960 said

Default_avatar

Berlin to Budapest July 9th 2011!!!! Anyone else??
    -Hayley, NY.

• 15 Jun 2011 Wanderlust79 said

Wanderlust79

I’m signed up for the Berlin to Budapest Tour for the October 15th, 2011 departure date. I started a discussion board for our trip so just search under Berlin to Budapest October 2011 and you can find it. Once I get a few people on it, i was going to start a FB page for us as well. Happy travelling everyone and thanks for all the tips/suggestions!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.