Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Help - Rotorua optionals

5 Jul 2010 Bek said

Bek
Hi,

I'm going to be doing the Grand Explorer, leaving on December 30. I know it's a long way away, but I'm trying to plan and budget for my optionals now. I have a couple of questions about Rotorua and I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me clarify these:

1. Are there any optionals that involve going to a mineral pool / spa? I've heard that some people went somewhere called the "Polynesian Spa", but from what I can gather this was not a Contiki optional ... ?

2. Is the cultural experience and hangi dinner the optional called "Te Puia? And if it's not, how much does that optional dinner cost? (as it doesn't seem to be in the list of optionals on the website).

3. If I did Zorbing and Tu Puia (and the optional dinner, assuming that it's not the Te Puia thing), would I also have time to go to a spa?

Hope someone can help!

Cheers
Bek
  • 9 Jul 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Do the hydro zorb … and you can have up tp 3 inside which is a barrel of fun. Even better if your camera is waterproof and TRY to shoot a movie (very difficult as you slip and slide).

- Vic

• 9 Jul 2010 Bek said

Bek

Thanks Vic, very helpful!

• 9 Jul 2010 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I HIGHLY recommend the hangi dinner!! Was definitely the best meal on the whole tour and now, even 3 years later, I still crave the hangi steamed oysters (and I usually hate seafood). Zorbing is super fun too!! I did it with a friend and was hilarious Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Jul 2010 Kas said

Default_avatar

Hi there!

I did the 8 Day Northern Highlights in Feb and had a ball! On our trip, we did the zorbing on the way into Rotorua – I wasnt actually allowed to do the Zorb because of health reasons but I was told the hydro Zorb was the best and most fun. On arrival to Rotorua, some people were given free time while others did the luge (I think thats how u spell it). When we all got the hotel some people went straight away to the tour of the native village while the rest of us got free time again. I chose to do my washing (because it’s UBER cheap there), but some people went to the polynesian thermal pools which are only a two minute walk away.

As for the hangi, I really enjoyed it. Only about half of our tour went, and the half that didnt go really regretted it. The food is so-so, but the hangi itself is awesome. You should go, there’s plenty of time to do all the optionals PLUS the thermal pools (heaps of people went at night after the hangi and had a blast from what i heard – I was boring and went to bed hahaha).

PS the hotel you stay at is BEAUTIFUL – one of my favs of the whole trip. The pool and spa are awesome. You just have to get over the smell. :-p

Have a blast! I did! :-)

Kas

• 10 Jul 2010 Bek said

Bek

Wow, that’s some very useful info. I wasn’t sure about the whole zorbing thing to begin with, but everyone says it’s great so I’ll definitely be giving it a go. The idea of going to the thermal pools after dinner sounds awesome! I’m even more pumped about this trip now! Thanks guys! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 29 Jul 2010 leisioz said

Default_avatar

i went to the spa but i wish i had gone with everyone to the zorb , you can go to the spas later after the zorb so you can do both. I just liked the spa pools the range from 30degress to 42.

• 8 Dec 2010 Renee said

Renee

Hi Bek!
    I’m going on the same tour and am struggeling to choose my optional extras as well as they all look great!!
    Let me know if you have had any tips or suggestions as I need a starting point!!
    See you there!!
    Renee

• 10 Dec 2010 Bek said

Bek

Lol, less than 3 weeks to go and I still haven’t made up my mind what I’m doing! I think I’m going to stick mainly to the adrenalin stuff (skydiving!!!). Renee – there is a facebook group for our tour, if you feel like joining:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/gro…?gid=139257849435212

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.