Community_discussions_small  

Question

Oktoberfest 2012

5 Feb 2012 Scott84Perth asked

Scott84Perth

Hi all,

I wanted to hear from anyone who has been on the previous Oktoberfest tours with Contiki (or to Munich for Oktoberfest on any other tour) and anyone going on the 2012 tour.

I booked the 7 day camping tour about 6 months ago but just saw that there is a new Hostel version (I don't think this was offered before and wasn't when I booked) which I might prefer to do for the extra $150AUD.

Just wondering what past travellers thoughts about the campsite were? I don't go camping very often (every couple of years) and was just wondering if those that went on the previous tours thought it would have been improved by staying in a hostel rather than a tent or whether the campsite atmosphere was awesome and therefore worth roughing it.

One issue is that I'll have to buy a sleeping bag in London if I do go for the camping version as I'm on a 4 week tour beforehand (not with Contiki) and won't have any need for it, plus don't want it to eat into my baggage allowance. I want to check reviews on the hostel too so I'll be giving Contiki a bell tomorrow to find out which hostel it is.

Apart from that... who's booked in?! I'm really looking forward to this :-D

Cheers,
Scott

• 7 Feb 2012 Explorer~1987 said

Explorer~1987

Hi Scott – I went on the European Experience tour last year and we were in Munich for Oktoberfest. We stayed at the Haus International Hostel. It was really clean… Only thing is you do need photo ID or the piece of paper to get access to a key. I don’t think they supply towels now either so you will need your own. I can’t remember if you needed a sleeping bag or not. You can buy your sleeping bags from contiki basement in london for around 20 Euro. After the tour if you don’t want it you can donate it (i think it goes to the homeless?)

I had a really good time at Oktoberfest!! Be sure to dress up though because it makes it more fun! The food is great too!

• 10 Feb 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Hi Scott!
    Im doing the camping one this year and really looking forward to it.
    I love camping and think it will be a fantastic experience.
    Are you from Perth?

• 10 Feb 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

Hey there,
    Yep I’m from Perth… I thought my name was a bit of a giveaway ;-)
    It will be good to hear what the camping experience is like too, I was just worried about Bravarian Autumn weather and waking up hungover in a tent, albeit they say German beer doesn’t give you hangovers (LIES!!!). I reckon the camping grounds may have an awesome atmosphere though ;-)
    Are you from Perth too?
    Doing any other travelling while you’re over there?

• 10 Feb 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Haha, It was a giveaway.
    I am from Perth :)
    Hungover in a tent waking up to cold autumn air I think is going to be fantastic,
    my friend did want to do the hostel but I convinced her otherwise.

I am, going solo in London for a few extra days then its back to work for me

• 10 Feb 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

Ah sweet.
    Well it’s good there are some other West Aussies over there with me at the same time ;-)

I’m flying out 17 August then have a few days in London, then go on a 28 day trip around Europe with Topdeck from 21/8 – 17/9/12 then back to the UK for a few days. Bit of flexibility here but was hoping to fly up to Glasgow to pay my respects to my Gran who passed away a few years back. Then Oktoberfest 20 – 26/9 and fly back to Perth 30/9/12.

I’m also running solo – kinda scary/exciting for me ;-) What days will you be in and around London?

• 13 Feb 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Oh wow, that will be heaps of fun!
    Get to london on the 19th then oktoberfest! But when that’s over our flight back to perth doesnt leave till the 28th and we get back on the 30th so we will be in London in between then, not long but I get back there one day.

Im actually terrified but Im sure it will be a ball :)

• 17 Feb 2012 Laurenjane1991 said

Default_avatar

hey :) i am booked on this tour with 2 friends. we are doing the hostel version but

• 17 Feb 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

Hey, I upgraded to the Hostel tour the other week ;-) I checked out the hostel online that we’d be staying at in Munich, it’s called Haus International. Some pretty good reveiws so I paid the extra $150 ;-)
    Good to find someone else on my tour, where are you from Lauren?

Default_avatar

ah awesome, i was trying to find out the name of the hostel so i could look it up! Will google it now. I am from Brisbane :)

• 17 Feb 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

sweet, saved you the hassel than ;-)
    Any other plans while you’re over there? My plans are further up in this thread. I have a few spare days before and after the tour… might be good to have some Aussies to have a beer with in London ;-)

Default_avatar

yeah i am getting to europe in june and doing a few tours beforehand.. not sure where i will be before oktoberfest but i dont think we will be in london, probly just going to meet up with the group in munich! then coming back to aus pretty much straight after

• 19 Feb 2012 Sara said

Sara

Hey Scott, Me and 2 mates are booked on a hostel tour on the 21st Sept and will be going to Oktoberfest! Can’t wait it’s going to be Epic!!!

S =)

• 21 Feb 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

Sara do you mean the 20th of September when the bus leaves London or are you meeting your group in Munich too? Oktoberfest is going to be amazing. Looking forward to bringing a lederhosen and a stein home with me as souvenirs :-D Also looking forward to the beer too obviously ;-)

• 21 Feb 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Oh boo you all staying in a hostel haha
    It’s going to be so much fun

• 22 Feb 2012 Sara said

Sara

Hey!
    I’m booked on the 6 day Oktoberfest Hostel departing September 29th
    Really looking forward to this! Planning on wearing a Dirndl the entire time and getting myself my very own Boot!

• 7 Mar 2012 georgalut said

georgalut

Yes!

georgalut

Hey Scott
    Im Georga, also from WA, Mandurah will be doing oktoberfest staying at the hostel, definatley the better option. Looking forward to it, Going to be pretty amazing
    :-)

• 7 Mar 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

Hey Georga,

Another West Aussie ;-) Are you joining the tour in London?

georgalut

The best kind of aussie i’d say haha
    Yeah I am, I will be in London visiting a few friends for a week prior then all heading over with the tour,
    then going to prague,croatia and spain after the tour then back to London,

what about yourself?

• 7 Mar 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

I fly into London 17/8/12 and have a few days for sightseeing etc and at the moment I’m booked into a 28 day tour with Topdeck leaving London 21/8/12 and get back into London on the 17th of September. Although at the moment it looks like I may end up doing a 24 day tour because the numbers in my current tour aren’t so good at the moment.

Then I have a few days to kill in the UK before hopping on the bus to Munich on the 20th of September Woot!! Then another weekend in the UK before flying home to Perth. At some point I’d like to go up to Glasgow and if time permits also Ireland and Wales.

Would be cool to have some Aussies to see London with as I’m travelling solo ;-)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion