Community_discussions_small  

Question

Oktoberfest 2012

5 Feb 2012 Scott84Perth asked

Scott84Perth

Hi all,

I wanted to hear from anyone who has been on the previous Oktoberfest tours with Contiki (or to Munich for Oktoberfest on any other tour) and anyone going on the 2012 tour.

I booked the 7 day camping tour about 6 months ago but just saw that there is a new Hostel version (I don't think this was offered before and wasn't when I booked) which I might prefer to do for the extra $150AUD.

Just wondering what past travellers thoughts about the campsite were? I don't go camping very often (every couple of years) and was just wondering if those that went on the previous tours thought it would have been improved by staying in a hostel rather than a tent or whether the campsite atmosphere was awesome and therefore worth roughing it.

One issue is that I'll have to buy a sleeping bag in London if I do go for the camping version as I'm on a 4 week tour beforehand (not with Contiki) and won't have any need for it, plus don't want it to eat into my baggage allowance. I want to check reviews on the hostel too so I'll be giving Contiki a bell tomorrow to find out which hostel it is.

Apart from that... who's booked in?! I'm really looking forward to this :-D

Cheers,
Scott

• 7 Jun 2012 Dirk said

Dirk

Hey guys me and a few mates are booking the 7day hostel tour that leaves london on the 20th, but we will meet u there on the 21st, as we will already be in germany after doing the expedtion camping tour and greek isles.
    I went to munich last year, was one of my favourite places in europe, if u want a good day out exploring/hiking catch the train down to Fussen 2.5hours south, for like 15euro return and check out KING LUDWIG’s Neuschwanstein Castle(walt disneys based animation castle), and the lake that Pyotr Tchaikovsky, based swan lake on…
    was one of the best days i had over there, also check out the hofbrahaus, and jump on a bike tour and visit a few beer gardens through munich =) cant wait… we fly out in 6weeks for a mates wedding in the uk, 3more months of backpacking is going to be insane!! =P

• 7 Jun 2012 Dirk said

Dirk

Also new Europe does some good pub crawls throughout europe, try the one in munich to visit some of munichs biggest beer gardens… ;)

• 25 Jul 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

Less than 2 months to go and I’m ordering Lederhosen on eBay… ;-)

• 25 Jul 2012 kt13 said

kt13

I’m doing a contiki tour before hand that is August 23rd to September 5th. After that doing some travel on my own and ending in Munich for the first day of Oktoberfest! I’ll be in Munich September 20 and leave on the 23nd unfortunately. All the contiki Oktoberfest tours were a bit long for my time frame. Any ideas if you guys will go to Oktoberfest on the opening day Saturday September 22nd? If so, any idea what tent you will be visiting?

• 25 Jul 2012 Banjo82ben said

Banjo82ben

Scott 8 weeks is goin to fly!! bring on the Lederhosen!! :-)

• 27 Jul 2012 Terri-Lynn said

Terri-Lynn

Heya, I just booked the 6 day camping tour departing London on the 21st!!! Looks like you’re all Aussie’s here, I’m from Canada! My friend told me that “Hoffbrau Haus tent is THE BEST. Its where all the young people go and it is the rowdiest. It gets really crowded though” So I def wanna check out that one!!! :-)

• 29 Jul 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Hey Terri-Lyn, you’re right! It looks like the majority are aussies haha.
    Canadian hey? Where abouts are you from? My mums Canadian.
    Not long to go at all, I’ve been practising my drinking.

• 29 Jul 2012 Banjo82ben said

Banjo82ben

Haha Elisha & Tiffany I am now a regular at the Bavarian Beer House in Cairns!! and yet my German is still crap !! :-)

• 29 Jul 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Ha Ben, I learnt how to say one beer please and have already forgotten.
    I studied German and mine is still crap! :-)
    All in good fun.
    - Elisha

• 30 Jul 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

“Ein bier bitte” = One beer please
    “Danke” = thank you
    “Prost” = cheers

This is the extent of my German for Oktoberfest for now… I may have to learn a few more words at some point ;-)

• 30 Jul 2012 Banjo82ben said

Banjo82ben

Haha Scott that is about the extent of mine as well!! i was asking the staff at the beer house some other stuff but by the second stein i couldn’t remember any of it ;-)

• 30 Jul 2012 georgalut said

georgalut

Thats everything we need for now Scott!

Cant wait

• 30 Jul 2012 Terri-Lynn said

Terri-Lynn

Elisha&Tiffany, I am from Edmonton, Alberta! Where is your mom from?

• 30 Jul 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Terri-Lynn, my mums from Montreal, Quebec! :)

Haha, I know how to say wonderful and this is good.
    - Elisha

• 30 Jul 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

wunderbar?

Terri-Lynn

Ah! Montreal is meant to be beautiful!! Which departure date do you have for the trip? I leave the 21 :D…. I’ve started training for the amount of drunk I will be too! Starting with my farewell party from Canada!!! Cannot beleive I am moving to the UK for 2 years! :-S lol

Elisha

Correctomundo Scott!
    mehrere biere danke is a good one, several beers thank you.

I’ve never been but I heard that too!
    Im pretty sure my tour is the 20th to 26th, Im starting in London though. Are you?
    Wow, thats awesome! I wish I could just move somewhere overseas for a bit.
    - Elisha

Terri-Lynn

I am starting from London also…. yeah I was dating and Irish guy I met at the 2010 Olympics and have been to the UK 2 times now, and LOVED it… so I figured why not get a working visa?! …. So there I shall be… Was thinking of Australia… but I don’t like hot weather.. so I decided UK was better for me! lol

Elisha

Awesome! What tour are you doing? Im doing the camping one.
    Wow, thats fantastic! Good on you. Haha, it’s bloody freezing here at the moment.

Terri-Lynn

I am doing the camping one also~!~~ leaving the 21st though!!! get there at 7am on the 22nd! just on time for the parade!! I ordered the most ridiculous costumes ever online.. hahaha~! We should def meet up! when do you arrive in London?? I am hoping to have a flat by then!! PINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion