Community_discussions_small  

Question

Oktoberfest 2012

5 Feb 2012 Scott84Perth asked

Scott84Perth

Hi all,

I wanted to hear from anyone who has been on the previous Oktoberfest tours with Contiki (or to Munich for Oktoberfest on any other tour) and anyone going on the 2012 tour.

I booked the 7 day camping tour about 6 months ago but just saw that there is a new Hostel version (I don't think this was offered before and wasn't when I booked) which I might prefer to do for the extra $150AUD.

Just wondering what past travellers thoughts about the campsite were? I don't go camping very often (every couple of years) and was just wondering if those that went on the previous tours thought it would have been improved by staying in a hostel rather than a tent or whether the campsite atmosphere was awesome and therefore worth roughing it.

One issue is that I'll have to buy a sleeping bag in London if I do go for the camping version as I'm on a 4 week tour beforehand (not with Contiki) and won't have any need for it, plus don't want it to eat into my baggage allowance. I want to check reviews on the hostel too so I'll be giving Contiki a bell tomorrow to find out which hostel it is.

Apart from that... who's booked in?! I'm really looking forward to this :-D

Cheers,
Scott

• 30 Jul 2012 Terri-Lynn said

Terri-Lynn

Define freezing?? How cold is that? ….. gets to about –40 degrees celcius in the winter here ;)

• 30 Jul 2012 Terri-Lynn said

Terri-Lynn

I lied!!!! I leave the 20th also!!!!! Sweeettt! We’ll be on the same bus!!!! …

• 31 Jul 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Woo! We are going to have a blast!
    I also ordered the most ridiculous costume off ebay haha. I get to London on the 19th of September.
    Freezing, well it’s been getting as cold as -2 here lately, which is strange for perth.
    Fantastic!

• 31 Jul 2012 Terri-Lynn said

Terri-Lynn

Sweet! Feel free to add me to facebook I added the link of my profile here :-D So glad there will be some girls to party with!

• 7 Aug 2012 Lance_A said

Lance_A

Hey I didnt realize there was another thread for Oktoberfest. I’m getting really excited!!

Terri-Lynn, Aussies are amazing people to party with… but dont worry, we’ll represent Canada just fine. You are not alone. I have 3 other Canadian friends going to Munich, so it’s gonna be intense.

I fly in from Amsterdam, and I’m staying in a hostel near Russel Square from the 18th till we leave on the 20th. Then afterwards its Ireland and Scotland for me. I’m so pumped!! Sooo happy there are going to be a few more Canadians as well.
  • 7 Aug 2012 Elisha said

Elisha
    http://www.belowzerolondon.com/

Anyone else keen before or after the tour?
    I know me and Terri-Lynn are!
    - Elisha

• 7 Aug 2012 Scott84Perth said

Scott84Perth

^ Keen as mustard ;-)

• 7 Aug 2012 Terri-Lynn said

Terri-Lynn

hahah.. Lance I know Aussies are fun to party with…. It’s like a mini Australia over in Banff Alberta… the Icebar is pretty cool! I loved it… Although it is –5 degrees in there, didn’t bother me at all… even the cups are made of ice!!!! ;)

Terri-Lynn

Also, Elisha and I were discussing this on facebook….. anyone know if we can liquor it up on the bus??? hahahhaa

Terri-Lynn

Also, Elisha and I were discussing this on facebook….. anyone know if we can liquor it up on the bus??? hahahhaa

• 7 Aug 2012 Chanel said

Default_avatar

Elisha, definitely!

Terri-Lynn: I went on a contiki before and they said no liquor :(

• 7 Aug 2012 Chanel said

Default_avatar

Elisha, definitely!

Terri-Lynn: I went on a contiki before and they said no liquor :(

Terri-Lynn

lol. cant blame me for asking!…. guess I’ll have to have a few pints before departure! lol

Terri-Lynn

Can’t blame me for asking!!!! I hopefully will have a flat and be somehwat settled by the time you all arrive…. so anyone who would like do add to facebook feel free… then we can make some plans to go outttttttt….

• 7 Aug 2012 Marco said

Marco

No liquor on the bus!? Isn’t the drive like 18 hours or something crazy like that? Having a few pints prior to departure is definitely in the plans then! I’m with you on that one Terri-Lynn! I arrive on the 19th (7 day camping tour….might extend my stay) and this is my first time doing anything like this…first Oktoberfest and everything…so take it easy on an Oktoberfest virgin! haha….can’t wait!

• 8 Aug 2012 david said

david

just booked the 5 day camping tour, departing london 27/9. cant wait! travelling solo, anyone else going to be on this one??

• 9 Aug 2012 Elisha said

Elisha

Who says we cant drink on the bus?!
    It’s called a hip flask and a straw chain up your shirt! Hahahaha

• 17 Aug 2012 Damion.Hamburg said

Damion.Hamburg

Going to Oktoberfest 2012!!!
    Cant wait and will be camping at both the tent and at another spot by the river.
    I speak a fair amount of German and English is my mother language.
    Looking to move down under next year so hope to meet plenty of Aussies!!
    Message me, whatsapp me, facebook me, I am going solo and looking to make some life long friends..got my lederhosen, what else does a guy need.
    Will have a pic up soon as i am a noobie here,

<Talk soon festers!!

Damion
    +49 015784880643.. whatsapp

• 17 Aug 2012 Terri-Lynn said

Terri-Lynn

I’m not and Aussie sorry about your luck! :-P Hope you don’t mind Canadians, as there are at least 5 of us that I know are going :-) All living in England!

• 17 Aug 2012 Banjo82ben said

Banjo82ben

Damion there are plenty of Aussies on the trip so you won’t have a prob there!! You may end up being the groups unofficial interpreter :-)
    How exciting is it now!!
    Got my Contiki pack with all my tickets etc and the lederhosen is already packed!!

Terri-Lynn can’t wait for you guys to show all the good watering holes.. Around London!!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.