Community_discussions_small  

Question

Turkey and Greek Island Odyssey 16May 2012???

6 Feb 2012 Paige. asked

Paige.

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is going on this tour in May? And also how much money you would reccommend taking for Turkey and Greece?

• 13 Mar 2012 Laura99 said

Default_avatar

hi,
    myself and my partner are going to this one too :) We’re going backpacking for another 73 days after that, and all up taking $15,000 each. Considering a lot of meals are already paid for, I think budget for how many meals you will have to buy yourself, and a little bit of spending money.. also depends if you are interested in doing optional activities I guess. We are trying to work out how much we’ll need for each part of our journey at the moment; it’s a challenge!

• 14 Mar 2012 Paige. said

Paige.

Hi Laura,

wow sounds like you and your partner will have an amazing time! :)
    thankyou for the advice, as I am mainly just doing the contiki, then spending a week in Duabi on the way back. I am only taking about $1500 for the time in Greece and Turkey as most things are paid for. But I will have emergency money in case I get stuck but I am thinking I should be fine :) Where abouts are you and your partner from if you don’t mind me asking? It’s always good knowing people before you go on the tour, as I am going by myself.

• 13 May 2012 jistone said

Default_avatar

Hey!
    I’m going to bring around there too (probably not going to do every excursion). I’m also traveling solo. See you Wednesday!
    Jill

• 14 May 2012 Paige. said

Paige.

Hi Jill,

It is so hard working out just how much money to bring! haha
    Awesome well I will see you Wednesday, I’m so excited :)

• 14 May 2012 TBryHoff said

TBryHoff

Hi Paige! I dont know how helpful this will be but I did the Eastern Mediterranean cruising last year (stops along the coast of Turkey and the major Greek islands). Our entire trip was a cruise so obviously it was slightly different in that we did not need much money for going out at night as we were partying on the ship and paid for the drink plan upfront on credit card if we wanted. You will have to budget for that. All of our lunches though were on land and nothing was terribly expensive, whether a Contiki organized meal or just us stopping for something along the way. Sorry, I cannot speak to dinners though as we had all of ours on the boat. I honestly think though that the majority of your money will be spent on souvenirs, etc (especially if you are a shopoholic and the grand bazaar in Istanbul makes you lose all control! lol, other than that, I think nights out and any optional excursions will take up more of your budget than meals will. Even with dinners, you can eat relatively cheap. Hope you have fun…I loved it! I wish we had spent more time in Istanbul for me to get a better feel of it, but thought the stop in Kushadasi was amazing. The coast city is beautiful but when you take the drive inland to the Ephesus ruins and the House of Mary, its absolutely incredible. Obviously Santorini is a must see as well. Not sure if you were planning on staying in Athens very long at all after your trip ends, but other than the Acropolis, a small ruin site more in the middle of the city and the first modern olympic stadium (just a quick picture of this will be enough), there really is not a whole lot to do there. I spent a few hours in the ancient museum which was nice, but any more than a day/day and a half there and you will be struggling to find things to do.

• 14 May 2012 Paige. said

Paige.

Hi Todd , very helpful indeed thankyou so much :) yea we go a cruise for the last three days around the Greek islands and I am only spending one extra night in Athens at the end just because of flight schedules :) thankyou do much and I am
    So excited! :)))

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion