Community_discussions_small  

Question

SPENDING MONEY & OPTIONALS - NZ

8 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 asked

AussieExplorer2012

So im really strugging with what should i save regarding money.

I know that I need to save up for my options - how many should i choose as to save up. Should I chose cheap ones to make it cheaper? Should I choose my options before the tour or just save up $1000 at least for all of them.

also SPENDING MONEY. How much should I bring? I really need to figure this out?

ANY previous experience from NZ travellers on the GRAND EXPLORER tour. I have no idea how much to save.....as we are going to LOTS of places in NZ. My parents are happy to pitch in if i run low and can deposit it into my travel card for spending.

Other advice would be helpful ON THIS TOPIC!

• 9 Feb 2012 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

when i did my european contrast tour (29days) last year i went through about 4 grand including my option (which i did almost all of them ) i was also pretty loose with my money .. Get a fair idea of what optionals you want to do before you go and keep that money aside

• 9 Feb 2012 em88 said

em88

Well pick all the ones that Interest you and put that money away.. There will be some that overlap and you will have to choose 1 or the other.. But if you budget for all the ones you wanna do then if you don’t get to do a few atleast you have that extra bit of money for spending, or alcohol.. hehehe.. Don’t forget the NZ dollar is more aswell so if you save 2000 your gonna get a bit more.. :)
    as for spending, budget for 100 a day! Some days you won’t spend that (the long drives on the bus, smaller towns etc) then if you dont spend it you just have a bit more to spend the next day :) Hope this helps :)

• 10 Feb 2012 sjaneo said

sjaneo

At the moment I’m budgeting for doing all optionals. That way if I decide not to do them it will be extra money I have for souvenirs. Much better than wanting to do something and then not having the money for it

• 10 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

Okay so ill need about $1500 for $100 per day which is a 15 day tour. I wanna do options. I will total then up. Thx guys for the advice

• 24 Feb 2012 Louise said

Louise

Also remember to include tipping of the tour manager and bus driver in your budget. NZ rate is $3 each per day of the tour as a guide (if the service was bad tip less or really good tip more). This is collected on the last day of the tour so make sure you put the money needed away at the start and then you wont be surprised :-). I just put $100 away at the start and tipped them each $50.

• 24 Feb 2012 Geweckex said

Default_avatar

I’ll be going to Spain with my husband and my daughter and I just want to know how much spending money I should bring.
    Staples Coupon Code

• 24 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

okay thx for the tip…forgot that!

AussieExplorer2012

Thx :) ill remember that…forgot about tipping the tour people.

Louise

Maybe you should see if there is a Spain thread Geweckex or start one as I doubt your question will be answered in a NZ thread.

• 24 Feb 2012 Michelle said

Michelle

Really tipping in NZ, it is not common to tip in Australia/ New Zealand as we get paid better salaries. I understand tipping in USA.

AussieExplorer2012

im going to NZ okay

AussieExplorer2012

ill save like $50 for tipping the contiki peepz $25 per person.

Louise

I would save $50 per person as the amount you should tip as per the contiki guide is $45 per person ($3 per person per day). If you tip under the recommended amount it is telling them that they did a bad job.

• 24 Feb 2012 Michelle said

Michelle

I looked at Contikipedia and there was nothing about tipping in New Zealand tours, I checked USA and saw a section. @LCM Where are these guidelines?

AussieExplorer2012

sooooo do i tip people OR NOT?

AussieExplorer2012

explorermichelle u said i dont…and LCM your saying I do?

Louise

It says it in the info you receive before you go and it did say it in the NZ contiki book (Link below). Most people just tip the amount specified $3 per person per day (ie $45 for Driver $45 for Tour Manager). It is up to you but most people on both my Europe and NZ tour tipped the specified amount so all I am saying is that you should budget at least this much so you don’t get caught short because believe me it is an awesome tour and the Tour Managers and Drivers really do go above and beyond. http://contiki.com.au/pages/832-tgnewzealand

AussieExplorer2012

Okay THANK YOU

AussieExplorer2012

Haha well im getting excited then. Wow ill be tipping for sure!

AussieExplorer2012

THANKS FOR THIS – read it and wow this is gonna help me big time. ‘half what i originally think i need to pack’ great way to save space. and finally got a good idea on spending money.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion