Community_discussions_small  

Question

SPENDING MONEY & OPTIONALS - NZ

8 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 asked

AussieExplorer2012

So im really strugging with what should i save regarding money.

I know that I need to save up for my options - how many should i choose as to save up. Should I chose cheap ones to make it cheaper? Should I choose my options before the tour or just save up $1000 at least for all of them.

also SPENDING MONEY. How much should I bring? I really need to figure this out?

ANY previous experience from NZ travellers on the GRAND EXPLORER tour. I have no idea how much to save.....as we are going to LOTS of places in NZ. My parents are happy to pitch in if i run low and can deposit it into my travel card for spending.

Other advice would be helpful ON THIS TOPIC!

• 14 Mar 2012 Michelle said

Michelle

Hi, in the end I did tip reason why because the crew and driver were awesome :) Also, some excursions I pre picked I ended up being able to do a few more in the one day, your tour manager will let you know when you are on the bus :)

• 14 Mar 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

oakay cool :) haha nice. thanks alot!

• 13 Apr 2012 simone said

Default_avatar

i did the tour thinking i had my optionals all picked out before i went ended up changing them on tour and doing a lot more so don’t have it set in stone what you want to do and if you do any skydiving, cayon swing or bugee jumping there are photos and dvds you can get and its not cheap! I partied a fair bit aswell it think i spent close to 4 grand and i tipped the tm and driver i think i did about 20 bucks each

• 13 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

im not planning on partying – or drinking. im not that type of person to do that. So is it worth the cost for skydiving or bungy?

• 13 Apr 2012 simone said

Default_avatar

DO IT! i sky divied didnt bungee but i also brought the photos of my sky dive and i think that was an extra $180 on top of the dive but so worth it! if you want a little bit of extereme activity but not as serious as jumping out of a plane the white water rafting is pretty intense

• 13 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

OKAY I WILL :) Ill save up for it and im definetly doing white water rafting – its gonna be freezing! but im doing it still.

• 28 Apr 2012 Marz87 said

Marz87

You don’t need to tip them $45. At the end of the day, the tour people get paid a salary. Tip whatever you like, but I wouldn’t tip more. I think $25 each is fair.

I recommend at least $2700 for New Zealand. Look plan all the optionals you want to do, then add the price. Look up reviews or websites of the activities you want to do. Remember the tour guide might recommend places bc they get a better commision not because it’s better. Classic example is the milford sound experience in Queenstown. Everyone that went came back disappointed, it was about a 7 hour bus drive return for an 1.5hour cruise of milford sound. I however spent the day exploring Queenstown and I booked wakeboarding/waterskiing myself and had a fantastic day. Wakeboarding was amazing, hard but amazing.

• 28 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

wow okay :) so do stuff that i will enjoy :) thanks alot Marz87

• 29 Apr 2012 loops said

loops

if your going to sky dive or do a bungy jump wait till you get the queenstown!
    the skydive is over the snow capped mountains, where as the one in the north leaves you on a field.
    also account for hangovers, something with a 9am start might seem a great idea, but what would you rather more, a heavy night out or the optional…..
    sometimes its good to say no to things your not that keen on and have a kip or just chill as its a pretty hectic 16days.
    also SLEEP on the bus at every opportunity, you’ll need it

• 30 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

im not planning on drinking or getting a hangover so ill be okay.
    Okay haha:)
    Oh i will dont worry – i love my sleep

• 2 May 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

@loops … thanks loops! i think id rather do an optional rather than have a hangover lol :) … ill def be doing the skydiving and bungy in queenstown lol … @aussieexplorer2012 .. i think it is def worth paying the money to do the optionals like bungy, skydiving and even the quad biking because how oftern do you get to do those activities and esspecially in NZ?? also i suggest taking more than you think you need money wise because you can always bring the left over money back and convert it back to AU dollars. you dont wanna get to the last couple of days of the trip and you run out of money lol

• 3 May 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

okay we’ll definetly be doing these optionals together! :) Haha okay! Yeh i dont.

• 3 May 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

hah yes definitely :) that suck to run out of money

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.