Community_discussions_small  

Question

International Roaming

12 Feb 2012 Wayne_Hubbard asked

Wayne_Hubbard

Hey guys, I'm going to Vietnam on Feb 24th and just wondering if anyone could offer any feedback on international roaming. Will it cost a great deal if you don't use a smart phone/i phone? Do most people jsut use the internet instead. Any info would be appreciated. thanks.

Wayne

• 12 Feb 2012 Courtney said

Courtney

Dont take a phone, it will cost an absolute fortune. Theres internet cafe’s and really cheap places to call from everywhere on the trip or you can buy your own phone and calling cards and its still cheap as chips.

• 13 Feb 2012 Wayne_Hubbard said

Wayne_Hubbard

Great, thanks a lot Courtney, much appreciated. Do you know how much roughly I would pay if I bought one over there?

• 13 Feb 2012 Courtney said

Courtney

I bought a standard nokia phone for like $40 australian roughly – cant remember how much Baht it was but I got drunk and lost it in the mekong anyway it probably wasnt worth buying one.

Wayne_Hubbard

Okay fair enough haha, well at least you had a good time before losing it. Are you doing a trip anytime soon?

Courtney

unfortunately not. im travelling around but not doing contiki until next year :(

Wayne_Hubbard

Oh that’s too bad, at least you’re still travelling. I’ll be doing the Vietnam Experience, is that the one you went on?

Courtney

I did thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. But Vietnam is definately a beautiful place, I went up to sapa aswell – other than communist police and banning facebook its an awesome place.

Wayne_Hubbard

Yeah I’ve heard its really beautiful, really looking forward to it. Thanks again

• 14 Feb 2012 Gokul said

Gokul

Wayne…don’t know if this is much help, but when I was there in Dec – Jan for the Vietnam Exp I just used the internet. Most of the hotels offered it for free and even out in town you can pick up a cafe’s free net. My iPhone still allowed me to get onto FB, though some of the others couldn’t. Ask your Tour Manager, he/she may know how to crack into it. Have fun dude….best trip ever. Beware of the Jungle Juice!

• 14 Feb 2012 Wayne_Hubbard said

Wayne_Hubbard

Thanks Gokul, that does help, I guess I’ll just use email to contact people back home, don’t think I’ll need to contact them often anyway though. What’s this jungle juice you speak of?

• 14 Feb 2012 Gokul said

Gokul

Ah Jungle Juice….you’ll just have to wait until you get to the Mekong Delta home stay to find out. My tour manager was Tara….she was awesome. Hope you get to meet Ken…..he is a riot!!!

• 14 Feb 2012 Wayne_Hubbard said

Wayne_Hubbard

Fair enough, just adds to the suspense I guess. Yeah I hope so too man, we’ll see. Take care.

• 15 Feb 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

Are you looking for data roaming or for phone calls. I personally like to have a phone for emergency. But my carrier has an international plan where you save money on the price of a call. It’s still like a $1 or $2 a minute, depending on where you are, but in an emergency that is a small price to pay. On my trips I would usually call home when I got there and then like once a week so the family knew I was alive – a short phone call.

• 16 Feb 2012 Wayne_Hubbard said

Wayne_Hubbard

Hi, I was just going to use it for phone calls, but I don’t plan on making many back home. Yeah I think I want to have it just in case, but I’ll most l,ikey just use the internet to contact my folks.

• 19 Feb 2012 dent said

Default_avatar

Hi Wayne,
    No need to roaming using local Sim card. It is very cheap, but your cell must be world edition
    good luck

• 20 Feb 2012 Wayne_Hubbard said

Wayne_Hubbard

oh okay, thanks for that. How exactly do I know if its world edition?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.