Community_discussions_small  

Question

GIRLS ONLY QUESTION

13 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 asked

AussieExplorer2012

So girls im curious when im travelling how do i deal with my period.
How did you cope? Did you buy stuff overseas? bring stuff from AUSTRALIA..
Im asking because yeah well im a girl.

So any advice girls about this would be appreciated.

• 13 Feb 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

bring stuff over but not ur whole supply as u can always buy more while ur over there

• 14 Feb 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

I’m just going to ‘skip over’ the sugar pills and not deal with it while i’m away, but yea most places you go everything you need should be very easy to find.

• 14 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

okay. whats the sugar pill?

AussieExplorer2012

so it means that ull get ur period early and not have to worry about having it during ur trip.

• 14 Feb 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

nah the sugar pill is wen u get ur period so wen u miss the sugar pill u dont get ur period its very nifty

• 14 Feb 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

Its a part of ‘the pill’ birth control – most pills you take are hormonal but every month you get 5 days of ‘sugar pills’, – if you skip the sugar pills you can skip your period for that month. Check with your doctor if its okay for you first though.

AussieExplorer2012

okay i shall ask.

• 14 Feb 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

maybe she shud ask her mum

AussieExplorer2012

haha yeh ask her mum! or use the internet – websites help. firstly ASK HER MUM

AussieExplorer2012

Thx for the advice girls. Im just gonna cope with it if i do have my period when im travelling. I’ll bring panadol tablets and bring supplies from australia – its light and it wont be too much.

• 15 Feb 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

If you’re on the pill I would also skip your period. If you’re not or don’t want to do that. I would bring stuff from home, that one of those things that could be very annoying to end up not being able to find your preferred brand. And as a bonus, after you use them you’ll have more space in your suitcase to bring stuff home.

• 15 Feb 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

CDM115 thats a great tip :)

• 16 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

okay ill just bring stuff – and it will free up once i use it up :) Yeah okay. I dont wanna go on the pill dont wanna mess my brain up.

• 24 Feb 2012 Louise said

Louise

Or you could just go on the sugar pills a week early and get your period the week before you go, that way you can know for sure you wont get it. That’s what I did and it worked a treat.

• 24 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

okay ill talk to my gp

• 28 Feb 2012 travelbug said

Default_avatar

just take one pack of pads no more than say 14 when you are low buy over there

• 28 Feb 2012 jess.jones said

jess.jones

ive used norethisterone (pill) – you take it 3 -5 days before your period is due, the pill delays your period – you keep taking once a day, once you stop taking the pill, your period usually comes 1-3 days afterwards. its great for holidays.

• 28 Feb 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

okay ill ask the gp closer to my trip date. thx alot guys. keep the advice coming as i may find better advice from others. Thx alot travelbug and muganz

• 28 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

I intended to do the whole pill thing where you miss that dreaded week while I was in NZ. Had a new stock of pills and everything. One night I forgot to take it (don’t worry I didn’t get knocked up) but my friend did come early and with a vengeance. So I suggest if you’re going to take the pill and intend to skip the sugar week, there’s always a chance that with you’re very busy contiki schedule of sightseeing every day and parties all night you may forget. So bring a stash of pads/tampons with you no matter what (one in you carry on bag/ bag on the bus at all times – you don’t want to be going around asking all your new friends for a pad). I’m a good girl and very prepared – I’m usually the one handing them out lol!!

And bring naprogesic – it’s a girls best friend while travelling. Much more effective than panadol – You don’t want to miss a moment of sight-seeing because your monthly friend is being a pain!!

• 28 Feb 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

Oh yea – Naprogesic is a lifesaver :D. I’m going to end up with a bag full of pills now
    the pill
    Naprogesic
    Neurofen
    Cold n Flu tablets (the good ones not the herbal ones)
    Multivitamins
    Imodium
    …..can’t think of anything else right now – only that with this many pills I better take the packaging so I can explain if I get stopped at customs!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.