Community_discussions_small  

Question

Anyone worried about the terrorist attacks in Peru

14 Feb 2012 missvixen asked

Default_avatar

I am booked for for the august 2012 Peru uncovered including inca trail. I am worried about this travel advisory http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=238000 . It says to avoid all travel including Cuzco... Has anyone else considered this? I have never done a contiki tour before so am unsure if contiki will cancell if it is too bad. Are there people here slated to leave soon? Anyone have any info?

• 16 Feb 2012 Brenda said

Default_avatar

Hi, I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you. I’m from New Zealand and I lived in Peru for a year on a student exchange a couple of years ago and travelled around quite a bit in that year and I’ve been to Cuzco twice and never had any problems, Cuzco is a city filled with tourists which attracts pick-pockets and that type of thing so as long as you watch bag and not go wondering by yourself down an ally it’s usually fine.
    I travelled there once with friends from my school in Peru and another time when I returned to Peur a year later with my NZ family and both times never had any issues and we weren’t with a big tour group either.
    I love Peru and am planning to go back again in a couple of years, I could easily live there again and feel safe. Anything else I can help with just ask =)

• 19 Feb 2012 JenniBeth23 said

JenniBeth23

I did a Contiki in Egypt not even a year after the revolution and things were just calming down over there, and it was fine. I have a bunch of friends that have been to Peru many times and haven’t had a problem. But what should reassure you the most is that Contiki is still operating all the other tours in South America (including all the ones in Peru) that are before yours- I know because I’m heading out on the Adventurer (Peru, Argentina, Brazil) on 10 March. I’ll let you know how it goes, if you’d like! (And when my travel agent called to check if they were going to cancel the Egypt tour they told her no, they’ve not had to cancel a tour for safety issues before.) Hope this reassures you a bit!

• 19 Feb 2012 missvixen said

Default_avatar

Thanks it does make me feel a bit better. I would appreciate if you did post back in march to let me know how things went for you in peru. I would also appreciate anyone else going soon to let me know how it goes .

• 20 Feb 2012 Todd said

Todd

I also went to Egypt with Contiki not long after the Revolution. In my case it was only 2-3 months after the fighting and we were only the 2nd Contiki group through. Not once did I feel unsafe and I even managed to get myself lost in a market in Aswan and walked around alone for an hour.
    The whole affair turned out wonderfully for us because it felt like we had the country to ourselves there was so few people there

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.