Community_discussions_small  

Question

Living in London??

21 Nov 2007 Shannon asked

Shannon
Hello! My name is Shannon and I am 24yo female from Tasmania, Australia. I am heading off solo for my first overseas adventure in May to tour Europe & Egypt. In July I will be basing myself in London for a working holiday, whilst travelling the UK. I would be interested in hearing from fellow travellers that might also be staying on in London and arriving around the same time as me. It’s a little scary to be arriving alone in such a big place (especially coming from such a quaint little place like Tasmania!!!).
Looking forward to hearing from you…. and happy travelling Cool
  • 23 Nov 2007 DanniP said

Default_avatar

Hey Shannon Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Im going to be heading over that side of the world around the same time as you to travel and live and work in London after. Like you, im pretty nervous about it as i dont really know many people over there!
    Im going to be doing the European Escapade starting 1st July. Feel free to email me at danni_s_27@hotmail.com

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 25 Nov 2007 OzzieChic said

Default_avatar

Hi Shannon and Danielle!
    I’m a 24yo chick from a small town in Adelaide so i know how you feel! I’m going to be working in london after my European Experience tour starting June 4th, I’m pretty nervous too, it’s my first time overseas on my own! ahhhh!

my email is purplesneakers67@yahoo.com.au
    love to hear from ya!

Jaime

• 25 Nov 2007 Megs said

Default_avatar

hey there, im 21 from melb and will be doing the exact same thing. am doing a contiki tour first then should be settling in london at the end of june. Would love to hear from you guys and organise a meeting when we are all there. i cant wait! Megs

• 25 Nov 2007 Megs said

Default_avatar

oops my email is megs_aus@hotmail.com

• 26 Nov 2007 Vivz said

Default_avatar

I’m curious…

Have you all found a place to live in London before leaving, or will you be investigating where to live when your already in London?

Including work.

Just wanna see which is the smoothest transaction. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Nov 2007 shazz9876 said

shazz9876

hey all
    I have been to london before 05/06.. went as my schoolies trip.. pretty expensive one but worth every cent. Did haggis tour round northern scotland and did the 16 day european discovery(i think) had a blast at both.
    As i have now finished tafe, im heading back over. Leavin sydney 21st jan! So soon and soo much to do!
    I am going with company iep.org.au tat will assist me in findin a job n some where to live.. the other option is by through euro-scan.co.uk… i have registered with both and see how i go when i get there.

If you have any questions or wat so ever… email me on sweety_shazza@hotmail.com..

Im excited!

Shaz

• 27 Nov 2007 Paul_ said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone,

Last year I did what most of you are planning on doing. All I will say is – Do it! Contiki was a great introduction to Europe. Now I’m living and working in London and loving it.

To answer the question about finding work and a flat before leaving oz… I waited til I got over here, lived in hostels for a few weeks (it’s cheaper if you book by the week) while searching for work. Once I got a job I then looked for a flat because I didn’t want to be too far away. If you remain with zones 1 and 2 you won’t be too far away from anything.

London is a great city.

Paul.

• 27 Nov 2007 Shannon said

Shannon

Hello all

Great to hear that so many of you are planning on doing the same thing as I am!!!! Makes me a little less nervous!

I think it would be great to start up an email group, as I have found sharing information, tips and advice via this forum so beneficial!! My email is shannonstennings@yahoo.com. Flick me your email if you haven’t already posted it here and I’ll get something organised soon!

Thanks Paul for that info – I had a friend that did the same thing a few years ago and starting out in a hostel seems the way to go.

I also discovered 1st Contact and OWH’s Work & Stay Starter Pack – that helps with setting up bank account, first few nights accommodation, UK mobile sim, job search assistance, etc.

Chat soon!

Shan Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 27 Nov 2007 Lana_Sydney said

Default_avatar

im doing exactly the same thing, going on the contrasts on the 25th of june and then wanting to settle somewhere in london and work and travel when i have the money….great to know so many ppl are doing the same thing and very reassuring to hear from ppl that have already done this… my email is alanahjaine(at)hotmail.com…woohoo for london

• 28 Nov 2007 Paul_ said

Default_avatar

Hi Shannon (and others),

I didn’t use companies like 1st Conact and the like. I did it all myself as I figured it couldn’t be too hard. Lloyds let you open a free bank account with just a passport. HSBC also do, but you pay £5/month for it. For the mobile, I got a prepaid sim from Tesco. Their call rates are very good. Especially if you top up £15/month.

jobsearch.com and monster.co.uk are the best starting places for jobs.

Also when you first get over, grab the free weekly magazine called TNT as soon as you can. It’s aimed at aussies, kiwis and south africans.

Paul

• 28 Nov 2007 Jords said

Default_avatar

hey, i too am one of the many ozzies doing the same thing, Im going on the euro escapade on apr 24- may 18 and will then be looking for work in london or anywhere in the Uk. Its so confusing deciding whether to wing it once you get there, or whether to hand over money to these companies which do all the searching for you. i would like to pick my own place of employment rather than be told which pub/hotel i am meant to work at but it is tempting, taking out the guesswork and stuff

my email is prophetic_infidel(at)hotmail.com

• 30 Nov 2007 Vee said

Default_avatar
    www.fish4jobs.com

is a good place for searching too.

I’m not sure when you opened your account at Lloyds and HSBC. But just a passport won’t cut it. You need to hadve proof of address through an agency or you need a sponsor that will go into the bank with you with their proof for address. If you are renting privately they will not accept this.

Lloyd will give you a cash account which means you can draw from their ATMs and get direct debits put on and have money deposited. HSBC and Natwest are better for starter accounts while not having a job. List yourself as ‘seeking work’ and register with the local Job Centre www.jobcentreplus.co.uk and you’ve gotta have an account to get a job (it’s frowned apon if you don’t and you won’t seem as profesional).

Waitron and ‘easy’ cheap paying jobs are mostly given to the EU workers that are flooding into the country so don’t count on getting a job like that to support you while you look for a good job.

You’ll need at least £1000 for the first month that includes deposit for a place, rent to the hostel and food. Warning: that doesn’t include drinking and site seeing!!!

• 1 Dec 2007 Grant said

Default_avatar

Hey Shannon and others,

Im going on the Contiki Experience on the 11th of April 2008 and i will be signing up with OWH very soon so they can find me a place to work (probably in a Pub) and live, they also help setup a bank account, and if they dont have a job lined up for you when you arrive in london they refund your Fee. Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    My tour finishes around the 30th april so i will be working somewhere in london from around May to July (3 months i think). If anyone wants to catch up or wants to travel together send me an E-mail Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    Peace.

Vandle@nitcom.com.au
    or
    Geebs_02@hotmail.com (MSN also)

• 2 Dec 2007 SteveT said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone,

Im 21yo from the eastern surburbs of melbourne. Head to the UK on May 1st, then on the european adventurer from the 13th to mid june.

Looking to work and stay in london after that and just travel when i feel like. Oktoberfest, Running of the bulls, snowboarding the alps, etc.

Always looking to meet new people. Email is steve-todd@hotmail.com

• 7 Dec 2007 PJ said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone! Wow! Cant believe so many people have so many similar plans, awesome!

I’m also heading over to london next year, definately booked in for european adventurer 23rd may – late june, and then after that… dont really know yet! But i do know that i’m going on a one way ticket, so i’ll most likely spend some time in london, find myself a job, and let the fun continue!

Thats the plans anyway…. I’m travelling alone too so it would be great to get in touch with others who share these visions!

I’m Paul by the way, from melbourne.

my email is pmikronis@hotmail.com

or for any facebook users,

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=paul+mikronis&init=q

Cool, thanks everyone!

• 10 Dec 2007 Kristy said

Default_avatar

Hi All! Razzer<!--graemlin::p--> So glad to see so many ppl doing the same as me next year! i am 24/F/Melbourme and I am absolutely ecstatic about going that i canno contain myself! it’s all i do – research research research! I am heading on the European Experience start of June to then return to London to live and work. Looking at organsing a job for when i return from contiki and look for a permanent place after contiki otherwise dead rent while i am away for 3 weeks!
    Please keep in touch – kristy_forward@hotmail.com
    - K

• 30 Dec 2007 Mic said

Default_avatar

I’m doing the same thing as well. Am holidaying from late Feb to mid June, then I plan on working in London for a few months (no idea where or what yet). Some of the links mentioned look good, will check them out.

My email address is: roosters@iinet.net.au

• 3 Jan 2008 SteveJ said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone, I’m 23y/o M from Melbourne and like so many others I will be heading to the UK for working/holiday. For part of my stay between April-September I will be sharing a place in Birmingham (which is an hour and 30 out of London)and is considered England’s 2nd city. So if your friendly, easy going, and looking for someone to give you a bit of a different look at England feel free to contact/add me:

sjacko1984@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=715829082

Cheers Steve

• 3 Jan 2008 Aussie Chell said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys!!!

Count me in too! We are heading over in September 2008 and (cross fingers) doing a WHV in the UK afterwards. Also thinking about getting an Irish visa. My partner is about to turn 31 so it will be our last chance to do the WHV!!!!

Out of interest, those people who have stayed on in the UK after a tour… how many days would you recommend for a starter tour. I am worried about spending alot of money on doing too many days!!

chell

• 6 Jan 2008 StephC said

Default_avatar

Heya – doing the same thing here… going to the USA May-August then heading over to the UK on a working holiday… Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’m 21 from Syd… email: stephc86@hotmail.com

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion