Community_discussions_small  

Question

Living in London??

21 Nov 2007 Shannon asked

Shannon
Hello! My name is Shannon and I am 24yo female from Tasmania, Australia. I am heading off solo for my first overseas adventure in May to tour Europe & Egypt. In July I will be basing myself in London for a working holiday, whilst travelling the UK. I would be interested in hearing from fellow travellers that might also be staying on in London and arriving around the same time as me. It’s a little scary to be arriving alone in such a big place (especially coming from such a quaint little place like Tasmania!!!).
Looking forward to hearing from you…. and happy travelling Cool
  • 10 Jan 2008 JuzD said

Default_avatar

hey everyone!

So many aussies going over around the same time…awesome!

Il be heading over to London in March, and teaching over there, until July then taking off on a trip through Europe b4 doing contiki greek island hopping on 15th Aug.

WOuld love to meet others up there at this time…
    my email is juzzyd_84@hotmail.com

• 10 Jan 2008 Mic said

Default_avatar

Hey JuzD, I’m a teacher but I’m not planning on doing teaching over there. What sort of teaching are you going to be doing?

• 15 Jan 2008 GypsyChic said

GypsyChic

hey guys i’m a 22f from california going to live in london in february/march. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who’s got the travel bug! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

yes, it’s exciting and scary all at the same time and it’d be nice to meet feellow travelers myself!

• 17 Jan 2008 Shannon said

Shannon

Hi GypsyChic

I’ll be arriving in London early July after a couple of months travelling. I can’t wait!! It is scary and exciting, but after sharing info on here and discovering more and more people are doing the same, the excitement is far outweighing the fear!

Sounds to me like London is ONLY fellow travellers LOL! But I have intentions of arranging some sort of catch up for us all when I get over there (for those that want to at least) – I think it would be great to actually meet the people I have been chatting too!!

I have some info I can send if you’d like to give me your email address. Or you can email it to me at shannonstennings@yahoo.com

Cheers Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Shan

• 17 Jan 2008 Ash : ) said

Ash : )

Heya, Im from queensland, 20 yrs old and planning my trip in may june and basing myslef in london as well.. I too am travelling solo so keep in contcat cause a friend over there would be great… the though of going solo is pretty scary !!!!!

• 17 Jan 2008 Ash : ) said

Ash : )

heya, I will be over there aroudnJune May and basing msyelf in london as well…. Totally scared about it!!! Im goign to grab your emails to keep in touch as well.

• 17 Jan 2008 shazz9876 said

shazz9876

hey! im shaz from sydney, turnin 21 in aug! I have been studyin for 2 yrs at tafe n has recently graduated. i decided my next adventure is to travel some more n work over seas. :>
    well im leavin on the 23rd Jan for the uk!! Wohoo.
    I used workabout.com to score me a job. I landed my self a job in Norfolk its 2 hrs from london. I will be workin in a manor which is like a hotel in the food n bev department.
    I havent set up bank account yet, as its easy to do.
    i will be gettin a uk sim card the day i arrive.

my email is sweety_shazza@hotmail.com if u want to keep in touch in any way.

• 30 Mar 2008 Shaun said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys…Cant believe there are so many people doing the same thing that I am considering doing.

Im doing the contrasts tour on the 13th July and then traveling on afterwards from the Greek Islands up through Eastern Europe and then to London in late October / November.

I wasnt orginally planning on staying and working…but have thought more about it and after resigning from my job last week im pretty sure ill do it.

Havent even started looking in to what I need to do to get a Visa and a job yet so if anyone has any good info it would be appreciated..if anyone wants to chat my email is shaun_mal@hotmail.com.

• 31 Mar 2008 Mattchew said

Mattchew

Hello Everyone,

I’ll be arriving in London on the 25th of june. I am also going to basing myself in london. But before i settle down in london i will be travelling for about 9 weeks.. in that 9 weeks im throwing in a 21 day camping tour ( 20 Aug – 9 sept ).

After all that back to london to get a job.

I already have a friend in london whom im going to shack up with, as for employment i’ve looked on a few Web sites but some of them require your Visa Number.

I’ll be trying to get some kind of Construction work, as im a Tradesman here in good old Aust.

• 3 Apr 2008 Lana_Sydney said

Default_avatar

hey all,
    so for those that have already moved to london, wats it like, how easy was it to get a job and accomodation..
    i am thinking of going over and styaing in a hostel for a couple of weeks and looking for a job/accommodation then….good idea????
    let me know thougghts and ideas
    thanx

• 6 Apr 2008 cat16 said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone can give me ANY advice on applying for a working holiday visa. I need to do it in the next couple of weeks, and its really starting to freak me out!
    Any advice would help!
    Thanks so much!

• 6 Apr 2008 Megs said

Default_avatar

I had my visa organised through 1st contact and they were AWESOME, really easy and everything hapened quickly and smoothly so i recommend applying for it through them. if you need any help my email is megs_aus@hotmail.com
    good luck.

• 8 Apr 2008 katxrocks said

Default_avatar

I’m Kat, 21 and I’m going to be living in London prob half way through june! I don’t really know anyone in London so feel free to email me strike_anywhere04@hotmail.com

• 10 Apr 2008 Explorer1083893 said

Default_avatar

Yeah, I’m doing the exact same thing too.

Travelling from June-August, then living/working in London for the rest of the year… maybe longer.

• 17 Apr 2008 Katiegirl said

Katiegirl

Don’t stress everyone..it is actually pretty easy to set yourself up in london!! i really do recommend 1st Contact..they sort out your life for you.

also i cant believe no one has mentioned www.gumtree.co.uk ??
    dont try find long term accomodation till you get here and know areas etc. Then go on gumtree make a few house viewings and go with it!! everyone is in the same boat and there are stacks of house shares (even ones for south Africans, aussies and kiwis!)

Good luck and itll be really cool.
    Ps -for finance jobs go with Robert Walters – they really professional. had a job in a week.
    Avoid office angels and reed in london.

• 18 Apr 2008 pixie08 said

pixie08

I’m a 24/f/brisbane looking at leaving in the next couple of months to go move solo to uk for work/travel.. would also love to hear from ppl who are looking at doing the same thing as its a little daunting at the moment!
    email: pixiechopstick83@gmail.com

• 20 Apr 2008 cat16 said

Default_avatar

Hey Everyone,
    Can I suggest that you all check out OWH’s Pubs UK program.
    I just signed up for it and it sounds awesome!
    They set you up with a job, and accomodation before you even step foot in the UK!
    http://www.owh.com.au/work_pubs_uk.cfm
    Good Luck!

• 26 Apr 2008 Explorer1097126 said

Default_avatar

hey everyone, i’m a 26 year old melb girl doing a contiki 14th June with my sis b4 basing myself in london early july, i’m extremely excited/terrified! my sis is leaving for home once the contiki is over so i’ll be in london solo from early july and am completely unprepared so could use all the advise i can get! also would just love to meet others in the same situation…
    my e-mail is loulou_jane22@hotmail.com so feel free to give me a buzz anytime!
    also does anyone know anything about retail jobs in london? i’ve managed stores here and worked in offices so could go either way, but hope to avoid the pub jobs if possible!

• 27 Apr 2008 Maru said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys,

Im doing this too, but Im from Ontario, Canada , not Australia. 25/M/Ottawa

Im going on European Whirl on July, then looking for work in London just like you guys., maybe even in Australia and visit your home country.

Ive been reading the post about 1st Contact, it sounds like we have the same thing here in Canada, its called SWAP (www.swap.ca), and im planning to let ’em help me set things up for me.

• 11 May 2008 Kara said

Default_avatar

hey guys, I’m 23/F/adelaide, heading over to london in just over a week – freaking out!! I’ll be doing European Contrasts from may 26 and am staying on in london afterwards to do the working holiday thing. Oh, and I’m going by myself so am keen to meet up with anyone really. I have gone through first contact for bank account. Haven’t got a job lined up yet cos I just want to experience being free for a lil while with no commitments lol! Feel free to email me: karaltaylor(at)hotmail.com

Kara

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion