Community_discussions_small  

Question

5 Day London Explorer... Imperial Hotel?

16 Feb 2012 BecS asked

BecS

Hey everyone! I'm thinking of doing the 5 Day London Explorer in June this year. Love that it has little extras included because I would have to research that all before going anyway. I was just wondering though if the Imperial Hotel was in a convenient location??

I noticed that the underground/bus pass is only for two days and trying to figure out if I'll have to pay a fortune on the other days to get around. I'm thinking it's just for two days because of the open bus tour and the day trip to Stonehenge and Bath.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a cost and time wise place to stay. I've travelled many times before and drives me nuts navigating public transport systems for 2+ hours each way to get to where the action is.

Thanks all!

Bec

• 23 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

The Imperial Hotel is just around the corner from the Royal National, and about the same distance from the Russel Square tube station from memory!!! The tube is fantastic for getting around London, I managed to cram heaps in in the few days I was there, pretty much every main site is serviced by a tube station. And you def don’t have to worry about a 2hr+ trip. I think the longest I was on it was from the airport to the Royal Nat when I arrived and that was only about an hour and that was one end of London to the other lol!!! I would highly recommend avoiding peak hours (about 6-8 in the morning and 5-7 in the arvo) though because you might have to wait for a few trains before you can get on one as they are packed!! I caught one to Piccadilly circus one night at about 5.30 pm and it was the worst!!!
    I don’t think that a day pass on the tube was very expensive, I actually just got an oyster card a few months before I left through this website: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ If you have a smart phone I’d recommend downloading a tube map app, makes figuring out where to go alot easier!! The guys in the Contiki Basement are really helpfull with that stuff too!! :)

• 26 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

Thanks. Still trying to decide whether this is the best way to go – plus I’ve got to pay off my other trip in just over a month so I won’t be able to book until then (all the week before is full – so hopefully I’ll still have the option).

And were you able to pick and choose which show you saw at the West End? Probably no point booking if you only get to see something dodgy.

• 26 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

i didn’t actually do the London Explorer as while I spent about a week in London in total, it was spread out over 4 seperate stays (like 4 lots of 2 day stays lol). I would think you can choose your own show but I’m not 100% sure?!? I agree though, if you can’t pick, probably worth just going of your own accord!! When are you planning on being in London?? If it’s going to be when the Olympics are on it might be worth booking some accomodation sooner rather than later as I imagine it will be pretty packed around that time!!!

• 28 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

It’ll be before the Olympics.. kind of relieved it’s not at the same time. I’ll figure it out this month and book in April as soon as my Scandi/Russia tour is all paid off. If everywhere is booked out by then… oh well, I’ll just pick a random city to explore lol

Thanks though.. I think we have a few discussions going on in a few threads now!!

• 28 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

haha we do too!!! :D Oh random city to explore is always a good things too!!! :D Especially seeings it is so cheap to fly between places in Europe!!! Ah travelling is the best!!!!!

• 1 Mar 2012 sezza said

sezza

My sister and I are going to be in London from 22-29th June and deciding on the same thing. When in June are you there becs?

• 3 Mar 2012 BecS said

BecS

I’ll be there from the 12-16th June… so I’ll miss you by a week. It’s so hard to decide whether to do the tour or not. I was originally going to spend a day in Brussels on the way from Amsterdam to London, but would have to scrap that if I do the London Explorer. I think it’s a matter of deciding between seeing Brussels or Stonehenge!! I can’t decide at this point! lol

• 3 Mar 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Stonehenge isn’t very far out of London, you can easily get there with a half day tour from London instead of commiting to a 5 day explorer thingy!!! That way you could still go through Brussels and see stonehenge….just depends what else you wanted to do in London and whether you can fit that in too I guess lol!!! :D

• 13 Mar 2012 BecS said

BecS

Oh awesome, that’s great! I am starting to think I’ll do it on my own. It’ll give me a bit more flexibility catching up with friends when they are free. And it’s amazing how much I can cram in a couple of days! Thanks!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.