Community_discussions_small  

Question

Suitcases or backpacks better on camping tours???

17 Feb 2012 Katie asked

Katie

Hey everyone, I'm going on The Big Chill on the 26th of June this year and was wondering whether a suitcase or a backpack is better for the longer camping trips?? (like is one better for when you're in the tents, easier to pack in the morning / pack onto the bus, easier to cart around after the tours?)

So, if any past / present / future travellers could give me some help with that would be amazing!

Thank you,

Katie :)

• 18 Feb 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

Hi Katie, i did the 46 day Big Chill camping tour last year, with regards to your question i would recommend a travel pack as it is more ideal for the camping tour, a suitcase is more bulky and can be at times harder to get around but on our tour we had about a 60/40 ratio with 60% with packs and 40% with suitcases but most of the people with suitcases were on travelling visas and staying in london on a more permanent bases after the tour and also consider that contiki have a stricted 20kg limit per person. i would suggest a minium 65-70 litre pack with day bag attached but don’t go over 90 litres because it will get to big and heavy. Hope that helps in some way. and enjoy your tour its going to be the best time of your life and you’ll meet heaps of new friends along the way.

• 18 Feb 2012 Katie said

Katie

Okay, yeah, i was thinking a backpack initially, but then wasn’t sure about what size or anything, so thank you for your advice! I think I’ll get a 70 litre one :D

• 6 Mar 2012 JeremyIvone said

JeremyIvone

Hey Guys I am Jeremy and I am going on the grand Canadian and I am trying to decide wether to go for a backpack or a suitcase? any thoughts? thanks!!

• 9 Mar 2012 nhowar said

nhowar

im doing the big chill on the 24th of june. from what i have heard; im going to bring a suitcase/duffelbag, along with a backpack.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.