Community_discussions_small  

Question

What to do 1 day in LA?

12 Oct 2010 MorningDew asked

Default_avatar
Hi Guys

I am going to LA on the 23rd of November and start the LA to the Bay Tour on the 24th. I arrive first thing at the morning and even though I am staying at Kyoto Grand I assume I wont be able to check in that early so will have a day doing stuff and getting tired so I can try beat jetlag!
Does anyone have any recommendations for what to do in a day... in LA? I was thinking of just hoping to take a bus out to the coast and go for a walk around. I have heard down town LA near the hotel is a kinda dodgey area and shouldnt be there late at night as I am travelling alone..
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
  • 13 Oct 2010 MorningDew said

Default_avatar

Oh Sweet,
    will you be staying at Kyoto? Any plans for what to do on your 2 days pre-tour?

• 27 Oct 2010 Wez said

Wez

Wow there is so much you could do for the day, here are some I would suggest:
    1. Go to Universal Studios (although there will most probably be an optional extra on your tour where you can do this).
    2.Take a bus to Santa Monica, check out the great shops, pier, beach and beautiful surroundings there.
    3. Take a bus tour of Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

• 3 Nov 2010 MorningDew said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by someguy:
    No idea where im staying. I have not even looked at a map of LA yet. Is kyoto fairly central?

Was going to do a bit off shopping before I leave but with the exchange rate I may as well just do it there.

I am just staying at Kyoto because it is the Contiki Hotel. I heard it is in a pretty dodgey area but I arrive at about 8am so planning to dump my bags, and explore the city during day light..
    Maybe I’ll see you around. From what I have read I think it is pretty easy to take a bus out to Santa Monica and can hire a bike or walk along the beaches and go to Hollywood etc… All pretty touristy but I guess thats the best idea for 1-2 days!

• 3 Nov 2010 Jelly_Bean said

Default_avatar

Hi there

I stayed at the Kyoto this past summer, it is NOT in a dodgy area, but it is not a touristy area so you will stand out a little!

On my free day I did city tour, there are loads of companies but if you look on Trip Advisor you can see what is best and book before hand and they will pick you up t the hotel. Its the easiest way to see the most if you have never been to LA before.

xx

• 29 Dec 2010 Matty said

Default_avatar

Hey,

I would definitely stay away from downtown LA- it is dodgy and boring (not much happens in the city centre itself). There is plenty to do in LA
    -Hollywood and Beverly Hills
    -Rodeo Drive (expensive shops but worth a look)
    -Hollywood Boulevard (the main drag of Hollywood)
    - Santa Monica Pier
    -Venice Beach
    -Disneyworld/Universal Studios

If i had 1 day there i would spend it on Hollywood Boulevard and soak up the atmosphere… It would also be better doing this while jetlagged then a tour or going to the beach i think… a bit more happening to keep you awake!

• 5 Jan 2011 NaHdz said

NaHdz

I loved hanging out on Venice beach, best people watching spot lol if the ‘touristy’ spots don’t really interest you though maybe take a trip to Griffith park and check out the observatory, there are also great views of the city up there..

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.