Community_discussions_small  

Question

Sleeping bag in European Whirl??

1 Mar 2012 Rebecca asked

Rebecca

I am going on the European Whirl in June, It is a concept tour, so we are staying in Hotels, Contiki Village and Hostels. I have seen that we are supposed to bring a sleeping bag, is that also for this tour or more of the camping tours?

Also if anyone else has done this tour, it would be great to hear about it and any advice or anything!! Thanks!!

• 2 Mar 2012 tikihut said

tikihut

Ah weird. I think this is more for the camping tours, love. Every time I’ve been on a contiki tour (exclud. camping) or staying in a hostel, I’ve always been told not to use a sleeping bag for hygienic reasons. This includes hostels and hotels in Europe by the way!

• 3 Mar 2012 Michelle said

Michelle

I am going on this tour in June as well and I was just going to buy a cheap one in london if it was needed and just leave it there before I come home.

• 6 Mar 2012 Bec14 said

Bec14

hi guys, im going on this tour aswell but in sept.
    ive been looking into this myself and this is what ive found:
    you require a sleeping bag for the parts of the tour where bedding (other than a sheet) is not provided which will be in the hostels. the weight of the sleeping bag wont be included in your 20kg maximum contiki allow on the bus. also, anyone who is american gets a sleeping bag free with their tour and everyone else has to bring their own or can buy one in the contiki basement at the royal national, i think its bout 20 pounds each.. so about $40-$50 australian.

• 30 Apr 2012 Bec14 said

Bec14

hey Jase :)
    yeah it is a bit of a rip off but i just think of it as i would rather pay for one when i get there and not have to lug it around on the plane etc.
    i cant recall why exactly americans get it for free but its somewhere on the website hahaha.
    oh and the 20kg bag is only for the first day. so when we first get on the bus they weigh our bags and they have to be 20kg or less, once thats done we can start buying stuff and go over that limit. so you can add to the weight during the tour.
    but keep in mind aswell you can have a day bag (backpack/shoulderbag etc) aswell that doesnt get weighed and goes on the bus with you aswell. so that will allow for a lil extra weight.

• 9 May 2012 Vin said

Vin

Wow.. lucky i came across this (never read the fineprint!)
    cheers Bec14!!!

• 5 Jun 2012 Dean12 said

Default_avatar

Yeh thanks Bec14.. that was really helpful.. i was just looking at my suitcase tonight!

• 29 May 2013 Lauren de G said

Lauren de G

Hey Rebecca

I know you posted this a year ago but I am doing the European Whirl now in June and I was wondering if there was any advice you could give on clothes in terms of weather, the sleeping bag dilemma, what bag did you take (suitcase/rucksack), did you take a hair dryer, how often did you have access to wifi?

Its my first overseas trip and I tend to over analyse things haha… Hope I’m not bombarding you with too many questions :)

Lauren x

• 30 May 2013 Vin said

Vin

Hi Lauren,
    i went pretty much the same time last year… you’ll love the trip hey! :D best time ever!

that said, do you know what extra’s (activities) you’re keen on? The weather was mostly incredible, and especially hot in Italy (we got up to 38 degrees in florence…). the Swiss Alps, on the other hand, was incredibly cold. if you end up doing the Ice Castle, it’s still snowing and the high altitude makes it even colder. We wore thermals, layers, coats, and scarves…we were still cold (worth it though! :D)

wool thermals are pretty light, so i’d probably take a pair. maybe one coat, just in case. other than that, it’s pretty good weather everywhere else from memory :)

suitcase.. are you travelling much before/after? i took a suitcase, which wasn’t a worry whilst on contiki (major issues afterwards trying to backpack though). Double check the size/weight limits hey!

suitcase.. are you travelling much before/after? i took a suitcase, which wasn’t a worry whilst on contiki (major issues afterwards trying to backpack though). Double check the size/weight limits hey!they had wifi most everywhere, but we had to pay at quite a few of them… you’ll make heaps of friends, so maybe split the bill and share?

suitcase.. are you travelling much before/after? i took a suitcase, which wasn’t a worry whilst on contiki (major issues afterwards trying to backpack though). Double check the size/weight limits hey!they had wifi most everywhere, but we had to pay at quite a few of them… you’ll make heaps of friends, so maybe split the bill and share?the main piece of advice? take really really good walking shoes! you’ll do a lot of walking tours, and though the cobble stones look pretty, you feel every bump after a while! haha

suitcase.. are you travelling much before/after? i took a suitcase, which wasn’t a worry whilst on contiki (major issues afterwards trying to backpack though). Double check the size/weight limits hey!they had wifi most everywhere, but we had to pay at quite a few of them… you’ll make heaps of friends, so maybe split the bill and share?the main piece of advice? take really really good walking shoes! you’ll do a lot of walking tours, and though the cobble stones look pretty, you feel every bump after a while! hahaenjoy the trip :) i’m jealous!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.