Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Newbie Question regarding Couples on tours

10 Feb 2007 jackwhite said

Default_avatar
Hey gang, Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I looked around the message board and couldn't find it.

My wife and I are planning our first ever contiki tour, we are both 30 years old, and while we both enjoy meeting new people, when we have time to explore new cities, we prefer to head off on our own and do our own thing.

Is this frowned upon on these tours? Are you encouraged to do things as a group, or is it ok if we take off by ourselves when siteseeing?

Thanks for any advice.

JW
  • 10 Feb 2007 junior37991 said

Default_avatar

I think it wouldn’t be frowned upon. I have not gone on a tour yet but I think people would understand that your a couple that wants to do things yourself. Most people seem pretty easy going.

Just don’t totally snob the rest of the group though. Just might seem a little rude thats all.

Matty

• 10 Feb 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

Hey JW – doing your own thing isn’t frowned upon at all. I have been on two tours and both had a good mix of couples on them.

Generally during the day, when you’re off sightseeing, no one is going to know who you are out and about with anyway. Once the bus stops in town you’re free to do what you like with who you like.

You’ll probably find that sometimes you bump into your fellow contikiers on the street and so decide to hang around with them for a little while before again going your separate ways…all this is perfectly normal!

On my tours the couples generally went and did their own thing during the day. At night when we had included meals they would come out with the group and then afterwards, if a pub or club wasn’t their thing, they’d go walk around the city, off to get a coffee or even back to the hotel.

You’ll probably find that you become really good friends with the other couples on board too as most of the time, couples have a slightly different outlook to the tours and what they want from them and so, they head off together!

I found that I actually spent some time with the couples sometimes too – at night when it was all a bit too much we’d head back to the htoel for a game of uno and a quiet drink – we had some of the best nights on tour doing that – just sitting together, talking and laughing and to this day they are some of my best memroies.

Don’t worry about being a couple at all, Contiki is ultimately all about what you make it!

• 11 Feb 2007 MELANIE2 said

Default_avatar

Hey JW, Me and my partner did a tour 2 years ago where there was quite a few couples, we found that a majority of the time some couples were heading to where we wanted to go so we would just go with them, i found it enjoyable to spend time with other couples when out and about. At the end of the day you have to make the tour your own and see and go where you want, you won’t be frowned upon for wanting to do some exploring by yourselves. You will have a blast!

• 11 Feb 2007 jackwhite said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the replies everyone. Your responses have been very help, and were the answers I was hoping to hear.

From reading this board, it sounds like these tours get great groups of people. We can’t wait to try our first tour!

• 11 Feb 2007 Kylie85 said

Default_avatar

Hey Jackwhite,
    I am doing a contiki with my partner in June. We have done alot of travelling together over the past three years but always independent, never in a organsied-group-tour kind of way.

For me, I know one thing I am definately going to want is to share my adventures with everyone in the group as well as my partner. I know that there will be times when we will want to go off and explore something just the two of us but i am very much looking forward so some ‘girl time’ and stuff like that.

I dont think anyone will notice if you two wonder off on your own all the time. People will be too concerned with with what they have planned and want to do. You know what I mean?

• 12 Feb 2007 r4v3r said

Default_avatar

Heya Jack, I’m in the same boat as you.
    My wife and I are also on our first contiki tour (although I have been on similar tours as a tour leader whilst at uni)

In my experience, it’s almost a given that a couple would want to spend some time on their own – just not all the time! Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

It’s your prerogative to (here comes the cliché) make what you will of your trip, just not to the detriment of your fellow travelers.

Just keep in mind to tell someone where you are going, and keep in mind bus departure or meeting times – wouldn’t want to get left behind! Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion