Community_discussions_small  

Question

Big Indochina/Asian Adventure June 17 2012

5 Mar 2012 Kara asked

Kara

Hey guys, I'm looking at doing the Big Indochina Adventure on either the 17th or 24th of June(date depending on work). I read that the Big Indochina Adventure is combined with the Asian Adventure? Its my first contiki and I'm going solo so a little nervous! Would be great to meet a few people from either tour :)

• 5 Mar 2012 daniela said

Default_avatar

hey kara! my friend and i are planning on booking the big indochina for june 24th. don’t worry about going solo, i’ve done it twice already and it was the best decision i have ever made. i actually met my friend when we were both solo travellers on contiki last summer!

• 6 Mar 2012 Luke81 said

Default_avatar

The Big Indochina is basically the Asian Adventure and the Vietnam Experience tours combined…. you’ll start off with about 30 people and lose most of the people mid tour then get a bunch of new people. When I did Asian Adventure, only 8 people continued on to do the rest of the tour. Don’t be nervous about going solo… your starting hotel in Bangkok is basically right on Khao San Road in the middle of the tourist hub, plenty to do and safe to wander around by yourself and once you meet your group you’ll be absolutely fine.

• 6 Mar 2012 Kara said

Kara

This makes me feel a bit better haha i’ll be alright if i know a few people first. Pretty excited! Daniela, let me know if you end up booking :) would you get there a day or two before the tour? im thinking i might try get there a couple nights early, hopefully some others are too
    Thanks Luke!

• 6 Mar 2012 Luke81 said

Default_avatar

Definitely get there a couple of nights before the tour starts…. the tour doesn’t do a whole lot around Bangkok before you leave so it’s good to do some sightseeing by yourself and it also gives you a chance to adjust to time difference before the partying begins. I was lucky enough to get in touch with some people that were going to be on my tour and we hung out for a couple of days before it kicked off. Keep in mind it’s still a few months away too… I didn’t end up getting in touch with people from my tour until much closer to the date, so just keep bumping your thread up and eventually you’ll get some responses. I didn’t have time to do the Big Indochina because I had to get back home by a certain date, but I’m most likely going to go back in June to do the other half of the tour… I’m looking at Vietnam Experience on 23rd June, which would be the Big Indochina starting on the 10th.

• 7 Mar 2012 Kara said

Kara

Yeah it is still a while away, i havent booked yet though so getting some tips on when to get there etc is good now :) do you reckon a backpack would be easier then taking a suitcase?

• 7 Mar 2012 Luke81 said

Default_avatar

Honestly… on a Contiki you’ll really be fine either way. If you’re travelling around SE Asia at all on your own before or after the tour, I would DEFINITELY go with the backpack… but on tour it’s not like you have to carry your bags very far. Mainly it’s just between transport… like bus to train or boat to tuk tuk or whatever. I took a backpack and I was happy with my choice but I was in the US before doing Asia on the way home and was gone 9 weeks all up. One thing I’d definitely recommend is pack light… shit is so cheap over there you’ll need the space… and you can buy anything you don’t take on the go.

• 11 Mar 2012 Liv said

Default_avatar

Hey! I’m planning on doing the big indochina on june 17th. I’m gonna be in thailand for about 2 weeks before the tour starts and this is my first time travelling solo as well so i would love to meet other people going on the tour! Is anyone thinking of travelling after the tour ends?? I was thinking of spending a week or so doing some of the thai islands, a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore and then about a week in Bali. Don’t really know if this is realistic or not but id love to hear what other people are planning!

• 12 Mar 2012 Theo@SouthAfrica said

Theo@SouthAfrica

Hey Kara

I’m doing the asian adventure on the 17th of June, pretty amped about it, was also worried about the whole solo travel thing, but i did the Egypt contiki solo and it ended up being the most amazing time of my life, so I’m sure it will be this way as well. I’ve spoken to other people whos coming on the tour and there is alot of sol travellers, so no stress (",), I wont be coming early as I didnt get much leave, I will be arriving on the 17th, think probably around 18H00, so dont forget me when you guys do the first meeting at the bangkok hotel (’’,), hey Liv enjoy all the add ons, will see ya in bangkok

• 12 Mar 2012 Kara said

Kara

Hey Liv, your travel plans sound so good! I’ve been to Bali twice and absolutely love it! Unfortunately because of work I dont get to travel much before/after the tour though, I think I might try arrive at Bangkok on the 15th before the tour and also stay an extra night in Hanoi after but that will be it. I’ll know definitely once I book this week, will make it even more exciting!

Hey Theo, yeah I’m sure this tour will be amazing also! How did you get in touch with others on this tour?

• 12 Mar 2012 Theo@SouthAfrica said

Theo@SouthAfrica

Hey kara, there are some other threads, asian adventure threads, search for them.

• 19 Mar 2012 TravelBug26 said

TravelBug26

Hi guys I am considering doing this tour. I did scottland and ireland last summr and loved it. I am traveling solo. the tour looks amazing

• 19 Mar 2012 Haylie said

Haylie

Me and my bf are booked in for the 24th June. Cant.effing.wait! We’r doing the islands afterward then heading over to europe for a month and a half until oktoberfest =)

• 19 Mar 2012 Kara said

Kara

Hey! Just put my deposit down for the 17th, and am so much more excited now! Just need to get onto some flights now :) I’m thinking of getting in a couple of nights early and then staying an extra couple nights in Vietnam before flying home. Anyone else planning to hang around a bit?

• 19 Mar 2012 Theo@SouthAfrica said

Theo@SouthAfrica

Hey Kara, thats so cool, will see ya on the 17th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 23 Mar 2012 lauren8786 said

lauren8786

hey!
    i’m the fellow contiki girl daniela is referring to haha we are actually putting our deposits down tomorrow for indochina june 17! i’m american and she’s canadian, both 25. we loveee contiki.

kara- i’m looking at leaving for bangkok the tuesday before the tour starts so arriving there thursday and having a few days to adjust to the time changes and such. i did this for our euro inspiration tour last year and it worked out great. i’d love to meet up then because daniela can’t get off work and won’t be arriving until the morning of the tour so i’ll be solo for a few days too! keep me posted on your plans!

• 23 Mar 2012 Kara said

Kara

hey lauren! so exciting finding new people on the tour! haha. im still yet to book flights but I plan on getting to Bangkok Friday night, I think around 7ish but I’ll let you know for sure when I book. So would be great to catch up and see some of Bangkok with you, maybe have a sneaky pre tour drink or two :) are you planning on staying any extra nights in Vietnam after the tour?

lauren8786

that sounds great! Daniela and I are both staying in Vietnam the night the tour ends. She leaves the following day and I’m staying Thursday night as well and heading to Russia Friday morning. After our last tour we were so happy we had some extreme time because people tend to stick around a few days and it’s a good way to wind down from everything. what’s your facebook name? mine is lauren christina, holy family university but i’m pretty difficult to find on there…

• 23 Mar 2012 Kara said

Kara

I think I will be staying until Friday morning too! We should set up a facebook group for the tour? Might help us find more people too :)

lauren8786

i just created one haha

• 23 Mar 2012 Kara said

Kara

yay! haha :) what is it called? or can you post a link to it or something?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion