Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern - NY to LA 21st Dec 2012

8 Mar 2012 Terra asked

Terra

Who's attending the GS NY to LA December 21 2012?

We're also doing NY Uncovered beforehand. Can't wait!

• 23 Apr 2012 Jaye said

Jaye

Hey Terra, Just booked the tour with a mate. Should be good fun!

• 26 Apr 2012 Terra said

Terra

Yeah. I’m really excited. Looks like it’s going to be an awesome tour. I’ve read good reviews about it as well. Now I’m trying to get my head around the types of clothes to take with us as the temperatures range from -25 to 25 degrees celsius. it’s a broad range…. and after living in North Qld for a while, not really use to the cold.

• 26 Apr 2012 Terra said

Terra

• 26 Apr 2012 Jaye said

Jaye

Especially seeing as it’ll be most likely a white christmas (not to mention cold), I’m preparing for pranks in the snow. How you making travels over to the US?

• 28 Apr 2012 Terra said

Terra

I hope that we get to see snow. We live in North Qld so any chance of seeing snow it nil. We’ll be flying over on Monday 17th (hopefully), we start the NY tour on the Tuesday. we’re spending an extra couple of day in LA at the end too to explore before returning home.

• 27 Jun 2012 Steven88 said

Default_avatar

Hi Jay and Terra, Me and my partner Timasi are doing this tour, We can’t wait it’s going to be Awesome!
    there definitely should be snow in New York in the days leading up to the Contiki. I hope its a white christmas, but being in Savannah – further south we may miss out? i hope not!

We will be in New York for 7 days prior to this tour, as well as an extra couple of days in LA after the tour.

• 28 Jun 2012 Em89 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,
    So excited for this trip! Can’t wait to see NYC in all its Christmas splendour! But I’m pretty unsure what to pack for the winter too! I’m doing the tour with a friend from Hobart, so she will be a bit more prepared for the cold than I will. I find Sydney winters cold! :)

We’re also spending a few days in NY before the tour. Can’t wait!!!

• 28 Jun 2012 Jaye said

Jaye

The cold will be interesting, but I think the flights will be the test :P

• 31 Jul 2012 Terra said

Terra

New FaceBook group page if you’d like to join.
    Search for “Contiki Grand Southern NY-LA 21.12.12”

• 21 Aug 2012 Steven88 said

Default_avatar

Hi new2travel,
    We are doing NY before hand for 7 days but we decided to explore it on our own so we can see what we want to see, most of the things listed on the NY Uncovered you can do in your own time – and some!

Likewise for LA, we will be doing 8 days in LA before NY and will do it on our own with Hire car, much more fun!

Having said that you are on your own so its probably better for you to do the tours so your with a group!

Be sure to join our Facebook page to discuss the contiki tour!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/505234116158136/

• 22 Aug 2012 Terra said

Terra

My husband and I have chosen to do the tour of new York before the GS tour but we decided to extended our stay in LA without the tour as it was cheaper and we didn’t think that we would get much out of it.

• 27 Aug 2012 LuSimoes said

LuSimoes

Hi!
    I’ll do the NY Uncovered on my own and i’m little afraid cause i’ve never been in ny before… i’ll also stay in the same hotel one day before the tour.. does anyone will stay there too? Im SOOO excited , i’m couting the days haha… after the tour i’ll spend 20 days in portland…

• 27 Aug 2012 Bex said

Bex

Hi, I’m doing the Eastern Discovery, so I think the two trips travel together and then you leave us in New Orleans. Looking forward to it! Will be travelling alone, but not staying at the hotel the previous night.

• 27 Aug 2012 LuSimoes said

LuSimoes

Bex what day the eastern discovery starts?
    I left Ny in 21th ):

• 27 Aug 2012 Bex said

Bex

The 21 December also, and its the same route as the GS but you carry on after NO. :)

• 3 Sep 2012 tara.baker said

Default_avatar

Woo!!! can’t wait for this tour to start. Does anyone have any ideas on what winter clothing to bring over? Also Terra where in North QLD are you from, myself and two others are who are going on this tour we are from Townsville and we are also leaving on the 17th? we will be in NY for a couple days before the tour starts.

• 3 Sep 2012 Terra said

Terra

Tara.Baker.
    My husband and I live in Home Hill. We’re really psyched about this tour, it can’t come fast enough. Also in regards to clothes, I’ve been able to get ahold of long sleeve shirts, cardies, jumpers etc. So hopefully we will be right with the winter clothes by layering using Thermo clothes as the base and layering with long sleeve shirt, t-shirt, cardie and jumper. Although coming from North QLD, I’m expecting to totally FREEZE, ;)

• 3 Sep 2012 Em89 said

Default_avatar

Definitely taking a couple of pairs of thermals! Then lots of tights, stockings, singlets, etc. I don’t care if I’m wearing too many layers to move. As long as I’m warm!!! Everything will be so well heated inside though. I’ve heard it can get quite warm down south during the winter, though we will still need a jacket at night. :)

• 30 Sep 2012 Tegan said

Tegan

I am going on this tour as well! I am from Perth and will be travelling alone…
    I will be staying at the hostels a couple of nights before and after. So excited!

• 30 Sep 2012 Amanda said

Amanda

Hey I’m going as well :) Staying in the hotel for 2 nights before and I’m going to adventure around by myself. Might stay in a hostel on the 18th. Any good ones you guys can recommend?
    Best thing in the world to take is a down jacket. They keep you really warm in the snow, fold up small and weigh next to nothing. Also good as you can wear normal clothes underneath so you don’t have to take off a million layers when you go inside.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion