Community_discussions_small  

Comment

The Northern Trek June 10 2012

8 Mar 2012 Michelle said

Default_avatar

Hello! My friend Mike and I have just booked this tour and I'm very excited!! We're from Canada and this is my second Contiki trip. I've never done a camping tour so this should be quite the adventure. Anyone else booked for this tour? 3 months to go! :)

• 14 Mar 2012 Phebes said

Phebes

hey! My friend Mike and I are also book on this tour! We are from Australia and it is our first contiki :) So excited about it!

• 29 Mar 2012 Michelle said

Default_avatar

Hey Phebes!! That’s awesome :) I’m starting to think of all the things I’m going to need to pack. I have never done a camping tour so I’m very curious as to how much we’ll be “roughing it”.

• 15 Apr 2012 Phebes said

Phebes

Hey, Yeah it should be interesting. My boyfriend did the 45 day camping one about 6 years ago and he loved it. He said that lots of people preferred it as they knew what they were going to get one they were used it it. It shall be fun, lots to look forward too!

• 3 May 2012 Explorer1315207 said

Default_avatar

Hey girls, I’m going with 2 other friends. I can’t wait for this journey to begin. Trip of a lifetime. Add me to Facebook! vicki lynn

• 3 May 2012 Phebes said

Phebes

When are you guys getting into Athens? Are you staying in the city? We are there for a few days before and were trying to figure out things to do! any ideas? Great to get in touch :)

• 3 May 2012 Explorer1315207 said

Default_avatar

Hey, yah my friends are flying into Athens on the 7th. Ill be arriving on the 9th. I wanted to email Contiki and ask if we could use their campsite. If not Backpackers Inn looks like a lot of fun. Other than going straight to the beach, we don’t really have any plans for things to do. But there is so much. Apparently there are a lot of insects there and big big misquitioes, so bring lots of bug spray.

• 3 May 2012 Phebes said

Phebes

Hey, yeah we are leaving aus on the 6th and getting in on the 7th as well. should be great fun. Will be good just to chill out and try to adjust to time zones as well. Thanks for the note on the insects :) good to know.

• 15 May 2012 Explorer1318897 said

Default_avatar

Hey! I’m booked for this tour also. I was wondering what you guys are planning to do about money? What type of fees are there to change currencies?

• 16 May 2012 Michelle said

Default_avatar

I’ve been thinking about $$ too!! A contiki rep said to just bring my debit card and make withdrawls…however, the bank usually charges you each time you do this and there’s always the fear that a foreign ATM will eat your card lol. So I think I’m going to get a bunch of the different currencies in small amounts…as we are only in some countries for a day or two. After about 5 days I’ll probably have to stop at a money exchange place and exchange all the leftover for the upcoming countries….that plus my VISA card. I can’t really think of anything better…I think it is cheaper to get the currencies at home at the bank rather then on the road as the currency exchange places will charge you a percentage.

• 16 May 2012 Explorer1318897 said

Default_avatar

How are you going to carry all of those small amounts? I would do that too but I’m so scared of someone taking my bag/wallet with all of my cash/currencies.

Default_avatar

Well I would highly recommend a money belt that goes under your pants/shorts/etc. That’s where I keep my money and passport at all times. So, no one is getting my money or passport unless something really awful happens to me lol I used one last time and felt very secure.

Since we need so many different currencies, at least we won’t need to get large amounts of each…just enough for lunches and little outings…everything else is being charged to my VISA and you can pay for all the “optionals” with EUROS. I brought traveler’s cheques my first time to Europe and no one took them … so unless you want to cash them at money exchange places. So if you bring some $ of each currency, your credit card, your debit card and like American $ or EUROS you’ll be okay, but who I am to talk, last time I went it was all EUROS lol

Default_avatar

Hahahah, okay thanks for the advice! Do you recommend any specific money belts? I’m planning on mainly wearing dresses, so idk how this is going to work out.

• 16 May 2012 Explorer1315207 said

Default_avatar

Honestly, a money belt would be wise but its too much effort, just bring a purse with a secret compartment. and make sure it zips up. That’s what I am doing. And its all euros! So don’t worry about different currencies. And also I spoke to my bank today and international deposits from your debt is $5 per use. So like Michelle said its best to use your credit card for most purchases.

Also whose down to go skydiving in switzerland!!!??

Hey phebes, can you ask your boyfriend what are some good things to bring for the whole camping aspect of our trip?

Default_avatar

Okay then! I’ll see what my bank says.
    And I’m TOTALLY down!! How much is it??? Is that one of the places we can spend all day at?

• 16 May 2012 Explorer1304938 said

Default_avatar

I am SOOOO down for skydiving!!

Default_avatar

I’m pretty sure that you will only be able to use the EURO in Amsterdam, Germany, Greece and maybe a few others….did someone from contiki tell you different?? When I spoke with them, they told me there would be a variety of currencies as many of the eastern european countries do not use the EURO.

• 16 May 2012 Phebes said

Phebes

Heya, Money belts are a great option. I have used them before to keep my passport and cards etc in them. Its great cause then you know exactly where your important stuff is. I found it was handy to either have a bag that I could put things in that wern’t overly valueable and to have a little coin purse in my pocket to keep some cash and change in (it makes it easy to get to when you need it, instead of having to almost undress to get to a belt). just a thought :) I spoke to Tim about suggestions for the camping and he said that a small bed roll is a good idea as the blow up matteresses are usually flat and uncomfortable by the end of the trip. A shammy towel is a good option as it doesn’t take up much space and won;t make all your clothes wet and stinky. He also suggested have little bottles of shampoo and soap etc (he said he took a bar of soap and it was a mess!) You can get little travel packs from camping stores which have about four little bottles which you can then fill with shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc, they are stored in a waterproof pouch so if there are any issues its contained (The last thing you want is shampoo and soap all through your clothes). The final piece of advise was to pack a lightly as possible as it will be summer and the last thing you want is to be lugging around 20kg of clothes :) I hope all of that helps.
    P.s: Skydiving sounds awesome :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion