Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Carrying a Laptop

29 Jan 2009 Raptors said

Default_avatar
Hi,
I am planning on going on the 12 Day Europe Horizon tour. Has anyone taken their laptop with them to one of these tours? Is wireless readily available?

Thanks

E.
  • 29 Jan 2009 said

Default_avatar

No clue about the Campsites as I was on a Hotel tour, but I know the Hotels and the one Contiki place we stayed in for the most part had wireless, but it was normally really really slow, or expensive, an umber of places only had the terminals hooked up to the internet and even then the net was ultra slow.
    I mostly used my laptop as picture storage/music/ipod charging lol

• 29 Jan 2009 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Just go to internet cafes. They are super-cheap and the price of access more than makes up for the weight you won’t be carrying and potential theft that won’t be happening.

• 30 Jan 2009 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

I agree with Curtis71, the threat of having your laptop snatched is a very real one over there. Although if you use the internet cafes, be prepared to waste some time figuring out the European keyboards.

• 31 Jan 2009 MJ said

Default_avatar

I never take my lap top on trips. There are plenty of places you can use the internet. Ask yourself this:

If you take it and it gets stolen or damage can you afford to replace it?

• 1 Feb 2009 said

Default_avatar

Just to add another perspective, I have taken my Laptop on every trip I have gone trip I have gone on in the past 3 years, thats over 15 flights, 10 of which were 4 hours or longer. I have not once broken or had it stolen yet.

You just need to treat your property well and look after it, make sure you keep it on the bottom of your bag when you leave the Hotel room, always take it carry on, dont throw it around lol It is pretty easy to travel with one.
    Also if I add to the travel by trains, the number for train trips alone would be over 15 as well, all of those trips were over 4 hours each way as well, never once had a problem then either!

I agree with MJ about the replacement, I dont know how Id get along in school without my laptop. Check your travel insurance, with the insurance I get through RBC they cover my laptop for damage and theft! might be worth it to see if your travel insurance has a buy-in like that.

• 1 Feb 2009 Magen R. said

Magen R.

yea i would not mess with bring it…the cafes work really well and i found i was never in my room other then to sleep..it becomes one more thing to move from place to place

• 2 Feb 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

Unless you have a specific need for it, generally it’s not recommended that you bring your laptop. It becomes another expensive thing to be responsible for when you’re going to be very active on tour. I usually bring my laptop if I’m going to 1 location for an extended time, but not on a tour. If you do bring your laptop you might want to look into getting lojack –

http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/

• 3 Feb 2009 Cody said

Default_avatar

I can understand how it is not recommended. I am bringing mine with me on my European Horizon tour. I am already going to be in Europe for a couple months prior to my contiki. Just take extra precautions and im sure all will be well…. I hope so lol

• 26 Jun 2010 Magic Cheshire said

Default_avatar

I have a small 10 inch netbookk that I will be taking. It is the size of a large book Itweighs 1.2 kg and I will be keeping in my backpack rather than carrying it separetly. So in this regards I am hoping to minimise theft. I’m hoping that I can get access to wireless internet easily for facebook and emails. I’m going on a 21 day tour but then I’m spending time in the UK solo before the tour so I will definently be wanting to take it with me. Not sure how this will work out but I am hopeful. (You can get a decent netbook for around $400 Australian.)

• 7 Jul 2010 becsworld said

Default_avatar

Magic Cheshire, let me know how you go with it… I also have a 10inch netbook that i will be taking with me on a european tour next year, main reasons being uploading photos, videos etc, but also because planning on going straight over to a working holiday in canada after so will be needing it! I would’ve thought these days everyone would be updating everything via their lil netbooks on the contiki bus!

• 7 Jul 2010 Sutho said

Default_avatar

I have taken my laptop every where and so did a lot of others on my recent trip. I use it for photo backup and wireless use.

Unfortunately in large groups there is no certainty you will get to a computer in a cafe at all. That is the problem people had who didnt bring one. Where the laptop people had allot more free time not hanging around waiting for a computer.

In any event it is covered by insurance if you have a good policy, and if you dont want it in your backpack then it can be locked in your suitcase of an evening.

• 7 Jul 2010 katiekat said

Default_avatar

before my europe trip i was thinking of bringing my laptop, but i decided against it at the last minute, and i’m really glad i left it behind. i just know i would have been worrying about it being banged up or stolen the whole time. besides, i found we were kept so busy on both the tours i did that there was never a time when i really missed it. i did have my ipod touch with me, which was handy for checking my email at the rare rest-stops and hotels with wifi.

then again, a roommate of mine brought her laptop and she never had any troubles with it, and she was pretty chuffed to be able to skype home and store pictures.

if you’ve got a small netbook and you’re not a big worrier, then i guess bring it! otherwise, don’t bother, or bring your ipod touch or iphone if you have one.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.