Community_discussions_small  

Question

USA trip worth it for an 18 year old??

11 Mar 2012 Katekatekate777 asked

Default_avatar

Hey everyone, I was thinking of doi ng a contiki in USA next year. I am 18 years old, I know I can't drink or anything there but I still want to go. Do you think it is worth it, or will everyone on the tour go out to drink and I will be left alone? Would really love as many opinions as possible! Was also hoping to travel for a month or more after the contiki tour, but am a little worried about doing it on my own. Is it likely I will meet people on the tour who will want to continue travelling America with me? Does that happen or am I just dreaming?
Any opinions welcome!
Thankyou :)

• 11 Mar 2012 Chronic_Dreamer said

Chronic_Dreamer

Hey! I can’t speak for the people on tour or describe the things that they do because my first Contiki tour isn’t until this summer, but I do think that enjoying your nights out are a big part of vacationing. If you are 18, your nights will be limited here, especially if your tour hits cities like Vegas and Los Angeles. However, that is only the night part, during the day there are many things to do and places to see. So I guess it all depends on how important nightlife is for you.

I hope this helped :-)

• 11 Mar 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

if you’re looking to party then I would definitely wait until you are 21. As for tourmates, it depends. I think there tends to be fewer below 21’s on the USA tours so you’ll have fewer people to hang out with on the big nights out in the cities. But I’m sure you’ll find other stuff to do.

• 18 Mar 2012 Juliana1989 said

Juliana1989

Hey! My honest opinion, and what I have done, and what I can’t stress enough: wait until you are 21. Personally I’m not a big party animal, and Contiki isn’t just all about partying, but to be honest you do go to a lot of pubs, clubs etc for social outings, not to mention Vegas and Los Angeles with the gambling, shows etc. You can’t even gain entry into these places unless you are 21 or over. You will be excluded from a lot of events and group outings, which eventually will make you feel left out and excluded from the group. I worked for Flight Centre for 2 years and American Contiki tours have a strong recommendation for being for over 21s, due to the fact Contiki does not cater for under 21s when it comes to providing alternative options for minors. You do a lot of waiting on the bus! So, Why do the tour if you can’t do it properly? Why pay full price and be restricted to half the fun? Wait until you are 21 for America like I did, and you will be happy that you waited because you can hit it hard and see and do everything with no restrictions. In the meantime do Europe :) Hope this helped a bit! x

• 6 May 2012 Mihir said

Mihir

Hi im 18 and going on thinking about going on European Discovery…Is it same for Europe too? 21 the best age? Thanks

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.