Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Experience departing 6th July 2012

16 Mar 2012 AllyGator asked

AllyGator

Hi Guys :)

Just wondering if anyone is doing the tour which kicks off on 6th July 2012? I have never been overseas and am going solo, so would like to hopefully get to know at least someone before I leave.

• 18 Mar 2012 htan90 said

Default_avatar

Hey chick, my friend and I are doing this tour! We’re from Sydney. I have never been to Europe either but so excited to go…

• 20 Mar 2012 AllyGator said

AllyGator

Hey :)

I’m really excited to go as well but now its getting closer I don’t know if im more scared or excited. I have never been overseas at all so hopefully my first time will be as great as I hope it will :) What do you guys plan on doing before and after the tour? And where abouts in Aysney are you from?

• 20 Mar 2012 htan90 said

Default_avatar

I’m sure it will be! We’re from the northern beaches how about u? We arrive in london on the 5th of July and we leave Europe on the 7 th of November.. We are backpacking after the contiki.. We booked two fanatics tours aswell — Oktoberfest camping and la tomatina hostel.. What are your plans ?

• 20 Mar 2012 AllyGator said

AllyGator

Oh wow your trip sounds fantastic! I arrive in London on 3rd of July and will spend some time with family until the tour starts, then staying in Amsterdam for 3days after the tour, then flying home. Oh and I’m from South-west Sydney :) How old are you girls?

Default_avatar

Oh awesome having family there!! Cheap accom ;) we are both 22.. How about you?

Default_avatar

• 20 Mar 2012 Roisin said

Roisin

Hey I’m going on it hopefully with a friend of mine otherwise I’ll be going solo as well. You will love overseas, though I can’t speak for contiki as it will be the first time I’ve ever been on one :) I’m from Sydney as well but down South

• 20 Mar 2012 Morgan said

Default_avatar

Hey all :)
    I’m from Brissy. It’s my first time in Europe as well and I’m also doing the tour on my own. So excited!

• 20 Mar 2012 Marian said

Marian

Hey I’m also doing this tour solo. My friend pulled out so I am really glad to have come across this.
    Im 20 and from Sydney too!
    I’ll be landing in London on the 4th and flying out on July 28. Kinda scared and excited at the same time.

• 21 Mar 2012 AllyGator said

AllyGator

Wow I’m so happy I’m not the only one going alone. And its even better it will be the first time to Europe for some of us :)

Haylee – Yes!!! Cheap accomodation!! its the best isn’t it hahaha I’m 21, I’ll be turning 22 while on the tour, I think we’ll be in Venice on my birthday :)

Roisin – I had a similar situation, a friend was meant to come but something came up when I was booking so she couldn’t either. I wanted to go last year but had something come up myself, so I didn’t wanna miss this year. I’m sure you will have as much fun by yourself ;)

Morgan & Immarian – Hi… welcome to the loner club lol I thought I would be the only one going alone, and I can be a little bit shy around new people, so I was a little bit scared about being by myself. How old are you Morgan?

• 21 Mar 2012 Marian said

Marian

Haha I think travelling alone will be a great experience for us all albeit scary.
    I’m sure we’ll all warm up to each other soon when we meet the night before tour starts.

• 21 Mar 2012 Morgan said

Default_avatar

I thought I would be the only one on my own as well. I have a friend who went on a tour with a friend and apparently the rest of the tour was made of two big groups. There were no singles at all!
    I’ll be 20 when we leave :)
    So is everyone staying at the Contiki place beforehand?

Marian

Yeah I’ll be staying at the Contiki place before tour starts. When do you land in London? I’m worrying about having to lugg my baggage on public transport … Oh the horror! hahaha. Depending on how expensive a taxi is, I might get that instead.

Oh really? yeah my brother went on a Winter Wanderer one and said there were no singles either lol. But I’m not single anyway. lol but my boyfriend isn’t coming with me.

• 21 Mar 2012 Morgan said

Default_avatar

I am doing a busabout tour just beforehand so I won’t get to London until the 5th. I ended up buying a backpack instead of a suitcase because so many people have told me that it’s just to hard to maneuver with a suitcase. But then again I was talking to a lady who works with Contiki on Tuesday and she said it’s easier to bring a suitcase.

I hope the public transport is easy to figure out though!

Woops! I meant like people traveling alone. But that weird that there were no single people!!

• 21 Mar 2012 AllyGator said

AllyGator

Who here has been to London before?

I’m staying with my family until the tour starts, but they live an hour away in Cambridge, so I think I will try and get a room somewhere the night before the tour starts so I dont have to worry about rushing around or being late.

I just read a page which had advice for what time of bag you should bring.. most people are saying suitcases unless you are travelling more before or after the tour.. and I’ve had people say that if you do take a suitcase, make sure you can lift it yourself encase you have to carry it upstairs.

Are you guys buying your sleeping bag here and taking it over, or just buying it there?

Marian

Yeah apparently London’s transportation system is way easier and so much more efficient than Sydney’s City Rail. The tube seems simple enough. I’ve been to Europe before but I never got to experience the tube. Only Paris’ metro which somewhat was alright …

• 22 Mar 2012 Roisin said

Roisin

I’ve been a few times to the UK before because my dads from there, so I won’t be staying at contiki the night before as my uncle is going to drop me off in the morning.

Trains are easy, they are efficient! which I can say for cityrail in Syd which is far from that!

I’m taking my suitcase, it’s just easier if I want to shop and since I’ll be in europe for 10 weeks I don’t want to have to pack a backpack as well :P

As for the sleeping bag, might just get one over there, I’m sure it’s not that important.

• 22 Mar 2012 Marian said

Marian

Yeah I’m gonna get the sleeping bag over there too and just leave it when the tour finishes.

Everyone doing the optionals? I hope so :) :) :) The paragliding over the alps sound amazing and everything else too.

• 23 Mar 2012 AllyGator said

AllyGator

Yeah my cousins tell me the transport is fantastic and easy to use. From what I hear, almost everywhere has better public transport than Shittyrail hahaha

Does anyone have a link to a page where the optionals are listed?

• 23 Mar 2012 Marian said

Marian

Umm I believe it’s just on the page explaining the European Experience tour and it says how much too.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion