Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Experience departing 6th July 2012

16 Mar 2012 AllyGator asked

AllyGator

Hi Guys :)

Just wondering if anyone is doing the tour which kicks off on 6th July 2012? I have never been overseas and am going solo, so would like to hopefully get to know at least someone before I leave.

• 25 Mar 2012 Roisin said

Roisin

I have about 3 in mind for the optionals like white water rafting and the gondola rides, I think we even have a wine tasting one.

My friends went on a similar contiki last year and they said the ones that involve food are not worth the money, apparently it’s really gross.

• 25 Mar 2012 Morgan said

Default_avatar

I plan on doing most of the optionals. Especially the zorbing and the white water rafting!! :)

I went to a party the other day and met a couple that went on a shorter version of this tour. They were saying that the dinner at the French Chalet was really gross too and they ended up just eating snack food that they had bought earlier.

• 26 Mar 2012 Marian said

Marian

Hmm fair enough. If you choose not to do an optional what do you do instead?

Btw how much is everyone bringing JUST for the tour itself?

• 26 Mar 2012 Morgan said

Default_avatar

I think you just do your own thing for the day.

I was planning on bringing around $1500 but I wasn’t going to buy many souvenirs or anything. I talked to a lady who works for contiki last week and she said to budget for $100 a day.

Marian

Is that AUD $100 of 100 Euros? Cos that’s so good!

• 26 Mar 2012 Morgan said

Default_avatar

I’m pretty sure it’s AUD $100 :)

Marian

Oh heaps good!! I can definitely shop. haha.

• 28 Mar 2012 Roisin said

Roisin

Yeah it’s $100 AUS which is like 75 euro’s a day

I have 1500 euro’s and about 275 on me in cash to take. I’ll def me spending my money on shopping which is why I prob don’t do to many optionals.

Apparently you just wait around for people to get back if you don’t do optionals so if anyone isn’t going to be doing much of them I’m all for wandering around the towns and making the most of the trip if were allowed.

• 28 Mar 2012 Marian said

Marian

Ooo you’ve given me much to think about in regards to the optionals. I’d gladly join you to venture out into the towns and whatnot to shop.

hmmm …. So what do you think is best to skip out on?

• 28 Mar 2012 Roisin said

Roisin

the food ones apparently :P
    I don’t think I’ll be doing the vatican tour my friends went on it and said the line to get in they so long they spent more time waiting to go than actually getting inside.
    Tossing up to add the Jungfrau mountain visit to my optionals or not being it’s 138 CHF which I have no idea how much that is :P

• 28 Mar 2012 AllyGator said

AllyGator

There’s 4 optionals that I definitely want to do including the white water rafting too :)
    I’ve heard that the vatican tour wasn’t that great either, really long lines etc.
    After reading what you guys have said about the food ones, I dont think I’ll do them now..
    I want to check out the places we stay in too, so I’ll happily join you guys venturing out shopping too if I don’t do the optionals :)

Also, I want to do the Jungfrau mountain visit too, and I just converted it and it works out to be about $140. From what I hear, its still pretty cold there in summer. so I’ll definitely pack something warm :P

• 31 Mar 2012 Roisin said

Roisin

I want to do the Jungfrau mountain visit as well, I’ll have to pack something warm for that, but it looks amazing! Yeah I think that adds up to 115 Euro’s, but with the exchange rate could be more or less by the time.

• 3 Apr 2012 Marian said

Marian

I’ll probably do all the optionals except the food ones? but I’ve been to the Vatican already so I may decide to skip out … not sure yet. My brother said it’s fun though when all your tour mates do the optionals but different tour, different people.

Thankfully the transportation system i.e. the trains in Rome are super easy! It’s only 2 lines unlike Sydney’s intricate system. So it’ll be worthwhile getting lost in that city. I found the Forum incredibly boring and that’s coming from someone who did Ancient History in senior high. I thought I would’ve enjoyed it, knowing the history behind everything but I just could not find myself liking it as much as I imagined myself to. However, the Colosseum was pretty amazing. Breathtaking. I’d love to see that again.

• 1 May 2012 Coree said

Coree

Hi guys glad i come across this ill be joining you on this tour, My names Coree 21 from perth and i to will be travelling solo and cant wait.

• 3 May 2012 Josh said

Default_avatar

Hi all josh here. I will be joining you on the trip. First time overseas so should be fun. I will be turnin 23 on the trip. Cant wait to meet you all :-)

• 3 May 2012 Josh said

Default_avatar

Also I’m travelling alone as a friend pulled out also

• 4 May 2012 Coree said

Coree

hey josh where you from? good to see there are other travelling solo so we should have a good time

• 4 May 2012 Marian said

Marian

Nice to meet you both! When do you guys get to London?

• 4 May 2012 Coree said

Coree

Hi nice to meet you Marian im landing in london the morning of the 4th how about yourself?

• 4 May 2012 Coree said

Coree

Hi nice to meet you Marian ill be landing in london the morning of the 4th how about yourself?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.