Community_discussions_small  

Question

Would you take your DSLR camera??

31 Aug 2010 Dynamite_J asked

Dynamite_J
Would you take your DSLR on a European trip? Did you have to umm and ahh about it?
Those who did, how was it to carry around?

Please advise!
  • 31 Aug 2010 Monty13 said

Default_avatar

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m taking my DSLR on my European trip in October. I want to be able to take the best photos possible of the amazing places that I’ll be going to & a ‘point & shoot’ camera just won’t cut it for me. Having said that though, I will be taking a ‘point & shoot’ as well, just for those unexpected moments when you don’t have time to set-up the DSLR to capture the memory.
    Hope this helps! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 Sep 2010 Explorer1207594 said

Default_avatar

Ohh- Monty13, that’s a good idea, I’m going to bring my point and shoot (as well as the dslr) too.

• 7 Sep 2010 kristy said

kristy

there is nothing worse than a blurry photo!!!

• 7 Sep 2010 Explorer1200457 said

Default_avatar

I’m leaving mine DSLR at home as I worried about it getting damaged with all the traveling on and off busses, ect, Instead I taking a really good digital where you can still play with manual settings ect to get really good photo’s. I know it’s not the same but cant afford to replace my DSLR and lenses if it gets damaged or worse yet stolen.

• 7 Sep 2010 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

^^ I would suggest you buy insurance for your camera. That’s what I do. When you have thousands of dollars worth of equipment insurance costs next to nothing. Also what I did when I put my gear away. I take my memory cards out and store it in a secure area. So if the camera gets stolen I still have my photos.

• 7 Sep 2010 said

Default_avatar

I just got back yesterday from spending a month and a half in France and Belgium. I had both my film and digital camera’s with me every time I left my Apartment.

You shouldn’t stress on this stuff too much. The reason I feel comfortable slinging my Leica around Europe is because I bought it to use it, not to sit it on a shelf and worry.

If you are a bit worried about it being damaged, included it into your travel insurance whenever you buy it. It will likely be a 5-10dollar surcharge and then you may feel more comfortable with taking it.

• 12 Sep 2010 Samantha said

Default_avatar

From personal experience, I would definitely take your DSLR, especially if you know it will make a huge difference to the photos you take on the trip.

I took mine on a Ski Austria tour and took amazing shots of the alps to enlarge later which I doubt I could have got with a compact. It was slung around my neck under my parka but I cushioned it with a scarf to make it more comfortable – if you’ll carry it like this consider a padded strap or the neck can get sore. I also had it with me on a couple of days bumming around cities and again didn’t regret it. I would recommend a shoulder bag over a backpack if you’re constantly pulling out the camera and putting it away again, less hassle. I always kept it in my hand luggage for flights/coaches too, so I knew it wasn’t getting thrown around any holds.

For me the biggest downside of bringing it was the impossibility of having pictures of myself taken! It usually took a 2 minute tutorial for any unfortunate member of the public who volunteered to take a shot of me with it. It also wasn’t practical for nights out on the town. Perhaps consider a compact for times like these.

• 23 Sep 2010 Kate said

Default_avatar

I just spent two months in Europe, which included a 5 week Contiki tour. I took my DSLR and also a small digital camera for taking out at night, for self portraits and when I couldnt be bothered or it wasnt practical to lug my SLR around.

I’m so glad I had my DSLR with me – it was easy to carry around, other people had similar cameras and everyone was always careful of them on the bus etc. If you take care of it it wont get damaged and if you carry it slung over your shoulder safely no one can really pinch it either unless they cut it off you.

That said, there is no point taking it if you are going to worry about it. Only take it if its insured and you dont mind if something does happen to it (its really unlikely, but better not to fret about it and ruin your trip).

Also, times when you cant be bothered taking it with you I found it was safe to leave it either on the bus or in the cabin/ hotel room.

• 27 Sep 2010 Sutho said

Default_avatar

I took my DLSR. Carried allot of equipment around in a backpack and did not have any problems. I brought wide angle and telephoto lenses along.

In my opipnion the DSLR is the only way to go. It is a much better photo and can take allot better photos at night than compact cameras. No offence but I cant understand why people take compacts to use at night. The DSLR has the ability to to it so why not use it. With the ability to vary the shutter speed and ISO rating you can take crystal clear phots at night without a flash.

• 28 Sep 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

I took mine and was very glad I did. I’m much more comfortable with mine then with the point and shoot I have (which i also took with me). There were some times when I wished I just had my little point and shoot with me but only had the DSLR, but overall it wasn’t that big of a deal. There were a couple times when I didn’t have my zoom lens with me which was frustrating, but I really didn’t have a good system for myself with carrying the camera and my other stuff. That’s not the camera’s fault, but mine.

I would recommend thinking about what type of equipment you want to bring with you, I have a 18-55mm lens and a 55-250 lens so I wish i had a messanger style bag that would hold the camera, both lenes, my wallet and maybe on or two other things, without screaming “tourist with expensive camera.”

• 12 Oct 2010 Dabo said

Default_avatar

I took mine wasn’t a problem to carry around but i would recommend that you get a 18-250mm lens instead of the standard 18-55mm and 55-250mm twin lens kit as changing lenses gets annoying and its not the best thing for your camera body as dust and crap gets inside it no matter how careful you are and yes i know their expensive $650 for a sigma lens but worth every cent wish i had one when i went away oh yeah and take a good point and shoot best foto ops are when everyone is on the drink and you dont want to take the dslr the bar.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.