Community_discussions_small  

Comment

pick-poketing

15 Aug 2007 hella said

Default_avatar
hey guys!
i know this is a commonly talked about discussion and i have read all the previous dscussions, but im still not at peace of mind.
Im doing european inspirations in december, and im thinking of taking a shoulder bag that sits at my hip, zip facing me. i was thinking of wearing the strap under my coat, and the main pouch part at my hip.
evryone i talk to is saying that it is VERY EASY to get pick-poketed in europe and i was wondering if this is a safe method to carry my money, camera phone and whatever else i need.
Ill most likely have my hand on it A majority of the time, and only take out the amout of money i need for the day as well as debit/credit card.

Also, is it safe to leave your passport (if you dont need it) and extra mooney locked in your suitcase at the hotel??

Thanks guys,
i know its been discussed, but im a bit of a stress pot.
  • 16 Aug 2007 southernhighlander said

Default_avatar

get a money belt you can put your money and passports plus visa’s and credit cards in it and wear it under your clothing.and only have money out that you know you will spend.for the camera i think a bag should be alright.

• 16 Aug 2007 traveler guy said

Default_avatar

carry your passport with all the time
    A traveler without a passport is no one
    I carry my passport in a money belt all the time
    Pick poketed are round pubic transport around were the tourism are the TM will warn you of the risk

• 16 Aug 2007 Dominique10 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by krazyhelz:
    Also, is it safe to leave your passport (if you dont need it) and extra mooney locked in your suitcase at the hotel??

Thanks guys,
    i know its been discussed, but im a bit of a stress pot.

To be perfectly Honest, i wouldn’t lock that kind of stuff in my suitcase at the hotel. If you want to leave something like that at the hotel, use the safety deposit box. It’s much safer. Also, i have done 3 contiki trips, and people have had their luggage stolen or things stolen from their luggage from the hotel room on 2 of these trips.

It may be wise and best to keep it on you in a money belt all the time.

• 16 Aug 2007 Tash said

Default_avatar

I just finished my tour, no one got pick pocketed. I didn’t use a money pouch, I just made sure my hand bag was always zipped up.

• 16 Aug 2007 Dominique10 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tash:
    I just finished my tour, no one got pick pocketed. I didn’t use a money pouch, I just made sure my hand bag was always zipped up.

Whatever works for best for you…..

• 16 Aug 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

There is no 100% sure way of avoiding being pickpocketed. You can only make yourself a less attractive target.

I have been on three European tours and none of the people in any of the groups got pickpocketed. (Though one guy ALMOST had his wallet lifted from his back pocket, but it was his own stupid fault for putting it there.)

Don’t leave your passport at the hotel. Without a passport, you are no better than an illegal immigrant. Mistakes and misunderstandings happen, so if you have a run-in with the police, you will need it.

Default_avatar

have a money belt the only thing i would have in your suit case are copies for everything and keep the oringal doco’s on you at all time.

• 16 Aug 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

Default_avatar

i watch that video and only one person noticed that they had been pick pocketed.all from backpacks and a shoulder satchel.

• 17 Aug 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

In a word PACSAFE

Snatch proof, slash proof.

• 18 Aug 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by cdm115:
    I found this video of a pick-pocket in milan

http://gridskipper.com/travel/milan/milan-airport-pickpocket-video-274385.php

As long as some tourists are this clueless, it means that those of us who only slightly protect ourselves and show just a little awareness of our surroundings are MUCH less likely to be pickpocketed. Why go for a hard target when easy ones are plentiful?

Like anything else, it’s a numbers game and survival of the fittest. There will always be a bottom quartile of stupidest people and it’s pretty darn easy to use a small amount of brain power and not be in it.

• 19 Aug 2007 ozziegirl74 said

Default_avatar

hi i have just been on euro encounter and i too had big fears about this. but it really wasnt that bad as long as u are alert and aware of whats around u you should be fine. i had an over the shoulder bag and held it in front. when i went into crowded areas held it tight. just be cautious and u will be ok. our group also looked out for each other. we yelled stranger danger when someone looked suspicous lol was funny but good as we were approached by one stranger in the ruins in rome. when stranger danger was yelled out he backed away. then later was spotted sneeking up again. just keep ya eyes open. its no worse then sydney…

• 9 Sep 2007 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

a guy on my tour got pick pocketed in florence.
    sucky, but he did have his wallet in his back pocket.

its all common sense…everyone raves about backpacks but it hgink they are crap. you can wear them on your back because people will take stuff out of them, so everyone walks around with them on their fronts looking like theyre pregnant.

i took a handbag…heres a photo of us girls…coz i know amercians call these things something weird.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/nikki7/holiday103.jpg

this way they were always under our arms so no one could reach in.

• 9 Sep 2007 lilly84 said

Default_avatar

for the australian- we just call them purses…. specifically a saddle bag- haha

How can you assure that no on will steal your luggage from your hotel room?! This is crazy!

• 14 Sep 2007 hella said

Default_avatar

great advice!!
    thank you very much x

• 18 Sep 2007 Edith said

Default_avatar

YUP here in America we too call them purses or the technical name Hobo bag to be more specific Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 30 Sep 2007 Clarinda said

Default_avatar

i recently did the Mediteranean Highlights, no one got pick pocketed, i used a similar bag, over the should zipped and sat in front of me and i was fine. Have a couple of different ways to access money in case. There are pleny of places to access money so only carry what you need for the day. I took my money belt and never used it and i didn’t carry my passport either in case i lost my bag or stolen or picked. I left my passport in my bag which i kept locked in the hotel room. Make sure you have copies off your passport, drivers license, insurance docs – perhaps in your carry on luggage.

My dad was pick pocketed in Prague – apparently they are very bad there. It happended while he was getting on the train – he had his wallet inside his jacket the whole time, except the once it was stolen cause he quickly put it in his pocket to run for train, he was pushed around a bit and when he went to relocate it to his other pocket…. it was gone!

• 30 Dec 2008 Wanderlust79 said

Wanderlust79

When I travel to pickpocket prone areas, I always use a small moneybelt to hold my money, credit cards, and passport in. I keep it tucked in under my pants, so someone would have to literally stick their hands down the front of my pants to take my stuff. I put the rest of my stuff, brush, lip gloss, guide maps, etc. in either a small purse or a backpack. If someone takes that stuff, it’s no big deal. Just be very aware on trains, busses and other forms of public transport. A common ploy is to push up close against you on a crowded train or bus, and take your stuff. When I was in Italy, anytime someone tried to to do that, I would say “Hey” really loudly at them and look them in the eyes. It worked like a charm everytime. I know it may have sounded rude to someone who was not trying to steal from me, but I would rather be safe than sorry in those situations.

• 4 Jan 2009 Magen R. said

Magen R.

i took my purse and i did often have it strapped under my coat. i had a zipper on top but i almost always had my arm over it just because that s how i walked. it is all about awareness of what is going on around you..if you are in a crowd of people i would pull my purse infront of me.

• 12 Jan 2009 JohnYYC said

JohnYYC

While I was on tour in Europe one of the guys on our tour was pick-pocketed outside Moulin Rouge. Thankfully his passport was not stolen. I myself used a money belt so I had no issues at all. I think they would have tried to get the $1800 SLR off my neck rather than my wallet.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion