Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Explorer- June 16-July 3rd anybody???

18 Mar 2012 Capsfan811 asked

Capsfan811

Hey guys, I'm Alex.
I signed up for the Grand Explorer that starts on the 18th of June but technically on the 16th for me, cause those are my travel days. We start of in Auckland and end in Christchurch. I was hoping to meet some people on here before we all meet in NZ. I'm ready for an awesome time and hope you all are as well.

• 18 Mar 2012 ThereseGrennard said

ThereseGrennard

Hi! I have booked Grand Adventurer with start the 20th of June, so I presume that it is the same tour although you go up north for the first two days? To actually book the tour was a quite spontaneous and impulsive decision on my behalf as I went to a travel fair, talked to a lovely guide and just decided to do it, but now the more I think about it the more excited I get! The optionals seem marvellous and I am convinced that it will be a tremendous trip even though it will be in the middle of the winter over there. So… see you in Auckland?

Therese

• 19 Mar 2012 Capsfan811 said

Capsfan811

I think you are on a different tour than I am. You are with the Grand Adventurer. We take off on the 18th. Maybe our tours will meet up at another city though. When I did a Contiki tour last year in Europe, we met with other Contiki tours in different cities. I hope you enjoy your tour and pack sweaters for the winter. It shouldn’t be to cold hopefully.

• 19 Mar 2012 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

hey mate , ill be on the june 18th grand explorer but ill be arriving in aukland on the 16th aswell ….. i think ThereseGrennard is right and we will be picking others up once we have been up to the bay of islands …

• 19 Mar 2012 ThereseGrennard said

ThereseGrennard

Yes, that is what I though- you do the Bay of Islands first and then when you go down, via Auckland, the poeple doing the Grand Adventurer join in? The rest of the tours are exactly the same and it seems logical to let us join rather than doing two completely separate tours that follow the same schedule. Have you decided on any optionals you want to do?

• 19 Mar 2012 Capsfan811 said

Capsfan811

Ohhh, I get it. That’s awesome. I am still going over the itinerary and don’t know how to pick which optionals to do. I definitely want to go tubing in the caves and bunjee jumping. Everything sounds so fun. What about you guys, what are you planning on doing? Where are you guys from?

• 20 Mar 2012 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

I Figured I would just try to do them all …. It worked in europe … where are you both staying?

• 20 Mar 2012 ThereseGrennard said

ThereseGrennard

I also intend to do as many as possible, and I definitely want to try skydiving even though i do suffer from vertigo..It just seems like an amazing experience! Have your done it? Im from Sweden, but Ive lived in england two years now. Are you american? Regarding where to stay in auckland and christchurch I have no idea, but as it is low season it cant be that difficult to find decent accommodation and im definitely not very picky, as long as there arent any bedbugs i am happy…

• 20 Mar 2012 Capsfan811 said

Capsfan811

Everything offered seems so awesome, so I’ll most likely beinf doing all as well. Explorer1217025, which tour did you do in Europe? I did the European Whirl. Best 20 days of my life is how I would sum it up.

I have never been skydiving, but some people on my last tour did and they loved it. So go for it. You’ll regret it if you don’t. And yeah, I’m from America. I’m wondering how many American will be on this tour. There were only 3 on my other one. Definitely not complaining though, those Aussies sure know how to have a good time. As for accomidations, I get in at 5:45 am and the tour starts at noon I think. So, I won’t be booking any accomidations. Just praying I don’t have a flight delay or anything.

• 20 Mar 2012 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

im Staying at the Mecure in Auckland and Bealys in christchurch , both of those are from what my travel agent said contiki bases so i figured it was just easier …. im a little bit sceptical about bungee jumping and sky diving because i am terrified of heights i just figure ill see how i go when i arrive in Queenstown …. i am an Aussie one of many im sure … i did the Eurpoean contrasts tour in june last and if this one is anything is going to be anything like that one watch out New Zealand

• 21 Mar 2012 Capsfan811 said

Capsfan811

I say that’s the perfect cure for your fear of heights. It would make for a wicked picture too. Hahaha, I know what you mean, we definitely lived it up in Europe. New Zealand doesn’t know what’s about to hit them.

• 21 Mar 2012 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

oh yea i’m Andrew Or Andy which ever you want , and yes it going to be freezing over there in the middle of winter haha

• 25 Mar 2012 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

what are you both doing after the tour?

Andrew Dalton

Andrew Dalton

• 25 Mar 2012 Capsfan811 said

Capsfan811

That’s a great question. I have 6 days to spare because I don’t have to go back to work until the 9th. I have been thinking about going to Australia for a few days to see some of my friends from the last Contiki tour but I have no idea how bad airfare will be. Maybe I’ll spend a couple extra days in New Zealand, it’s all really up in the air. You?

• 25 Mar 2012 ThereseGrennard said

ThereseGrennard

Yeah I bet it will be dead cold so Im most definitely packing a winter jacket – especially for the glacier hiking I would imagine! I start my trip in Oz so I fly into Melbourne in mid May, spend 10 days there, then two weeks in Brisbane and hopefully some time along the coast to see Byron Bay and Surfer’s Paradise, then I go to Auckland two days before the tour starts, spend two days in Christchurch after the tour ends and finish up in Sydney for ten nights before I go back. Ive never been to australasia before so it seemed like a good idea to do it properly whilst Im there! Andy, where in Australia are you from? Got any tips about what to see there? I found that one can get really cheap flights from NZ to Oz with jetstar or some other cheap company if you just want to pop over, although for me it seemed easier to just book Quantas to take me between all my stops..

Andrew Dalton

I have 4 days in christchurch but no plans set in stone . I was thinking might try to find somewhere to spend a couple of days snowboarding …. Im from Sydney, the Blue Mountains to be precise its a gorgeous part of the world so if you go to Sydney i suggest atleast a day trip up to the three sisters . There really is plenty to do, lots of beaches and shopping places to see like The harbour ,Opera House , Darling Harbour and ofcourse Bondi Beach even though i think its one of the uglier beaches around that area its definitely a must see for anyone visiting.

• 26 Mar 2012 Capsfan811 said

Capsfan811

Snowboarding, eh? Now being from Australia, I’m guessing you have never been, right? I love snowboarding. I really picked it up this past winter. It’s scary as hell going down the mountain but such an adrenaline rush. I love it.

• 26 Mar 2012 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

Na i have, we do have snowy mountains , its just nowhere near as good as the rest of the world and ive heard it cheaper to do it NZ than it is to do it in Aus its such a rip off over here !

• 4 Apr 2012 jakeadelaide said

jakeadelaide

hey guys, i booked this trip on friday, was bit of a spontanious decision…from australia, and new to this contiki thing! def looking forward to some big nights on the drink and meetin some new ppl! and ofcourse all the fun experiences of bungee and sky diving!! not to mention white water raftin and zorbin! whos keen! lol

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.