Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Touring alone....

6 Mar 2008 LindsSoCal said

LindsSoCal
I am looking to do the beaches and reefs tour in August, but my friend just backed out.

I was wondering if anyone has gone on the tour alone (this is mainly a ? for the ladies out there).

How was it? Was it easy meeting people? Did you feel safe? Honesty is greatly appreciated.

I really want to do this experience but it is scary going off some place for several weeks on your own and not knowing anyone.

Thank you Smiler
  • 7 Mar 2008 gracesc said

Default_avatar

I went on the reefs & rainforests alone (same as beaches & reefs, plus two days) & also happenned to be the oldest on tour as well and I had a fantastic time. Everyone will say the same thing: if you have the right attitude..open, friendly and no chip on your shoulder, you’ll fit right in. During the first couple of days, don’t be afraid to just go up to someone & introduce yourself. Most people on your tour will just start talking to you then & there, and if they brush you off, well, there’s about 50 other people on your tour; you’re bound to find someone you can connect with. There was rarely a time on the tour when I didn’t feel safe..just use your common sense and all should be fine! Hope this helps! Message me if I can help with anything else!

• 8 Mar 2008 Dave said

Default_avatar

Hi Gracec, I found your article to be very helpful in regards to traveling alone. There were a few questions I had, which I hope you could answer. I am booked for the Coast and Whitsundays (reverse) tour for September 2008. I am thinking ahead of what to pack. I did a prior Contiki tour of European Getaway. As I recall, the hotels did not provide soap and shampoo. The keys to the hotel rooms were on a long stick, which were shared between the roommates and you had to return it to the front desk when you left the hotel. I was wondering if the hotels in Australia are the same as Europe or are they similar to the hotels in America. Will each roommate be accommodated their own key and freebee toilet trees? Also, as I recall from the European Getaway tour, there were some loud parties every night. I am more of the mellow type and not so much into loud parties. I do better socializing in small groups at a cafe. I had a lot of difficulties keeping up with everyone. Do the Australia tours have more of the social environment I’m looking for?

quote:
    Originally posted by gracesc:
    I went on the reefs & rainforests alone (same as beaches & reefs, plus two days) & also happenned to be the oldest on tour as well and I had a fantastic time. Everyone will say the same thing: if you have the right attitude..open, friendly and no chip on your shoulder, you’ll fit right in. During the first couple of days, don’t be afraid to just go up to someone & introduce yourself. Most people on your tour will just start talking to you then & there, and if they brush you off, well, there’s about 50 other people on your tour; you’re bound to find someone you can connect with. There was rarely a time on the tour when I didn’t feel safe..just use your common sense and all should be fine! Hope this helps! Message me if I can help with anything else!

• 8 Mar 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

Don’t worry about being alone on a contiki tour. You will have plenty of people to hang out with. I went alone and was never alone unless I chose to be. Meeting people depends on you how outgoing you are. Make it a point to sit next to someone different on the bus and at different meals every day. Plus you will have your roomate as well.

• 10 Mar 2008 gracesc said

Default_avatar

Hi Dave; I’ll help as much as I can! For toiletries, soap was provided but not anything else (shampoo, conditioner, etc. I would advise taking some extra soap from the hotels for farmstay; we didn’t have any in our “room”). I had a single room and keys were small (no stick); for people in quad shares, I think they got two sets and you just have to keep track of who has them. As for partying, most of the places you go, you’ll be staying at the hotel (whitsundays, fraser island, farmstay) as there’s nowhere else to go. You’ll have the really loud party group and smaller groups on the periphery (sp?), just talking & having drinks. If you’re lucky, you’ll have a group like mine where everyone could move from group to group. Be prepared to be the one of the odd ones out for the first day or two as you’ll be joining in with some other tours and these people will have spent a few days together already. Again, with the right attitude, you’ll be fine! Have Fun!

• 11 Mar 2008 Dave said

Default_avatar

Hi Gracesc, thanks again for your helpful advice, regarding traveling alone and the types of people I’ll meet. There was one more question that came into mind. I know this may sound silly. Since I am booked as a quad sharing room, do people actually sleep? Should I expect to have roomates that are “Allnighters”?

quote:
    Hi Dave; I’ll help as much as I can! For toiletries, soap was provided but not anything else (shampoo, conditioner, etc. I would advise taking some extra soap from the hotels for farmstay; we didn’t have any in our “room”). I had a single room and keys were small (no stick); for people in quad shares, I think they got two sets and you just have to keep track of who has them. As for partying, most of the places you go, you’ll be staying at the hotel (whitsundays, fraser island, farmstay) as there’s nowhere else to go. You’ll have the really loud party group and smaller groups on the periphery (sp?), just talking & having drinks. If you’re lucky, you’ll have a group like mine where everyone could move from group to group. Be prepared to be the one of the odd ones out for the first day or two as you’ll be joining in with some other tours and these people will have spent a few days together already. Again, with the right attitude, you’ll be fine! Have Fun!

• 12 Mar 2008 gracesc said

Default_avatar

Hey Dave; Yeah, most people do sleep and for the most part, your roomates should be fairly respectful about that issue. Most people who want to stay up late partying won’t be in the room but at the pool, in common areas. They might accidentally wake you up when they come into the room, but if you’ve been courteous them, they should return the favour. Most people would usually catch up on sleep on the bus. Be prepared to no be able to move around on the bus tho’; on our second day, I suggested to one of the guys that he sleep in the aisle of the bus and from that day on, there were usually 2 or 3 people (incl me after one really bad night) sleeping in the aisle!

• 12 Mar 2008 NYCgal9 said

NYCgal9

Sleeping in the aisle??!! Hahah I love that one. Hopefully I won’t need to but it might come in handy one of those nights…

• 12 Mar 2008 mc62778 said

Default_avatar

I just thought I’d add my experience to this…I just got home from my second contiki (both to europe). The first one I went with friends. We had a great time, but I decided during that trip that I wanted to do another alone…which I just did. It was awesome!! There was no problem at all meeting people, and after a day or two, I already felt like I was with friends. But I didn’t have the same feeling of having to do what my friends wanted to do and dealing with their little issues….I only had to worry about what I wanted to do!! It was a great vacation, and I’m already planning my next trip.

• 13 Mar 2008 gracesc said

Default_avatar

I’m so with you on the idea of travelling alone mc! I always hesitated about travelling alone in the past, but it’s great not being “tied” to someone. I’ve been on vaction with friends before who seemed put out that I didn’t want to spend the day with them but spend it at the hotel with other people in our group. Sometimes travelling with your friends, you feel almost obligated to check in with them or make sure they’re OK. I like not having to worry about anyone except myself. I just wish I’d had the courage to travel alone a lot sooner!

• 23 Mar 2008 Dave said

Default_avatar

Hey Gracesc, I know I’ve asked you questions about traveling alone and your responses have been very helpful. I am booked for the Coast and Whitsundays (reverse) tour for Sept 2, 2008. I am pretty sure on your tour, there where fellow travelers coming on and off. Were there many travelers coming on at Whitsundays? Also, since your tour did not start from the beginning, were there other travelers beginning the tour with you?

quote:
    I’m so with you on the idea of travelling alone mc! I always hesitated about travelling alone in the past, but it’s great not being “tied” to someone. I’ve been on vaction with friends before who seemed put out that I didn’t want to spend the day with them but spend it at the hotel with other people in our group. Sometimes travelling with your friends, you feel almost obligated to check in with them or make sure they’re OK. I like not having to worry about anyone except myself. I just wish I’d had the courage to travel alone a lot sooner!

• 25 Mar 2008 gracesc said

Default_avatar

Hi Dave; if you’re really concerned about the group dynamic thing & if it’s in your budget, you might want to consider doing the two day sail option in the whitsundays..only half (if that) the group does it and it might be an easier way to get to know people. You’ll be in a smaller group, in very close quarters and you can start off getting to know about 20 people instead of 50. At the resort in whitsundays, there’s no planned outings for the first day (don’t quote me) so it may be hard to meet your tourmates until later. In terms of getting new people, i think whitsundays is the last “stop” that new people are picked up & you start to lose people around brisbane. But hey, if there are enough people going, you just might have a whole new group starting in Whitsundays. As far as I knew, when my tour started, everyone was just beginning our tour but when we got to cairns, we might have picked up people who were continuing on from another tour..if we did, it was only a couple of people and that didn’t really affect the group dynamic.

• 25 Mar 2008 Dave said

Default_avatar

Hey Gracesc, Thanks again for your information. When I arrive at Whitsundays, I was considering the day trip sailing excursion. Is this excursion on day 2 in Whitsundays? Are there addition welcome dinners at the stops that picks up new travelers?

quote:
    Hi Dave; if you’re really concerned about the group dynamic thing & if it’s in your budget, you might want to consider doing the two day sail option in the whitsundays..only half (if that) the group does it and it might be an easier way to get to know people. You’ll be in a smaller group, in very close quarters and you can start off getting to know about 20 people instead of 50. At the resort in whitsundays, there’s no planned outings for the first day (don’t quote me) so it may be hard to meet your tourmates until later. In terms of getting new people, i think whitsundays is the last “stop” that new people are picked up & you start to lose people around brisbane. But hey, if there are enough people going, you just might have a whole new group starting in Whitsundays. As far as I knew, when my tour started, everyone was just beginning our tour but when we got to cairns, we might have picked up people who were continuing on from another tour..if we did, it was only a couple of people and that didn’t really affect the group dynamic.

• 27 Mar 2008 Explorer1080406 said

Default_avatar

I went on the Reefs and Rainforest tour alone in July 07. I was a little worried at first, but I ended up having such a good time!

I stayed at the Contiki hotel the night before the tour started, and I was put in a room with 3 other girls going on the same tour as me. It was great, because we got to know each other before the tour even started.

On your first day of the tour, your Tour Manager really makes an effort to get everyone integrated. He passed round a microphone and we all introduced ourselves and gave a little personal background a stuff. By the end of the first night it was like we’d known each other forever!

A lot of people were also traveling alone. I’ve come away from my Contiki holiday with some great friends all over the world.

And, during the tour itself, there is a new infusion of people every day. A lot of people mix and match their tours, so they can start in Brisbane, or start in the Whitsundays etc. So, new people all the time!

I hope you have a great time!

• 2 Apr 2008 Annette said

Default_avatar

hi, 28 yr female from so. cal, i’m totally interested in going to australia ‘city to surf’ six day tour this sept 08 or feb 09..but it’s kinda of difficult to find someone to go with=)
    would u be interedted in going to ‘city to surf’ tour, i know it would be kind of scary to go alone. Thks.

• 2 Apr 2008 Annette said

Default_avatar

P.S. Disregard the error i made in the previous reply, i meant to write ‘interested’.

• 3 Apr 2008 Ryan said

Ryan

I’m 21 from socal as well and im going solo on reefs and rainforests in Dec 08/Jan 09…don’t be scared to go solo, you’ll meet a ton of people and have a blast

• 18 Apr 2008 Annette said

Default_avatar

Thanks Ryan,
    I have decided to go on city to surf in feb 09, alone with the contiki group, i look forward to it!

• 4 May 2008 Vicki said

Vicki

Hay Dave,

What date are you going in Sept?? I’m doing the reefs and rainforests tour starting in Cairns which i think joins up with your tour, i’m going on the 8th Sept which ends on the 23rd in Sydney. I’m also going alone, but after reading all the posts everyone has put i’m not scared at all now so thank you everyone… Hey is anyone else going these Dates??

Vicki x

• 4 May 2008 Dave said

Default_avatar

Hey Vicki, thanks for the note. Actually, I will be departing the USA on Aug 31 and arriving in Whitsundays on Sept 2. I’ll be finishing my tour in Sydney on Sept 13. Our itinuary dates may be off. But incase we do meet on tour, it is always fun meeting travel buddies before the tour. So, we won’t all be strangers on Day 1.

quote:
    Originally posted by Vicki:
    Hay Dave,

What date are you going in Sept?? I’m doing the reefs and rainforests tour starting in Cairns which i think joins up with your tour, i’m going on the 8th Sept which ends on the 23rd in Sydney. I’m also going alone, but after reading all the posts everyone has put i’m not scared at all now so thank you everyone… Hey is anyone else going these Dates??

Vicki x

• 18 Jul 2008 Elysetta said

Default_avatar

Hi LindsSoCal!
    Are u doing the Beaches and reefs on August? I’m doing the Aussie explorer from Sydney to Darwin.. Maybe we’re on the same tour considering that mine is composed by yours+Outback and Territory.. Write me back, please.. I wanna know someone before the tour starts.. ! Ciao!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.