Community_discussions_small  

Question

Day bags/night bags + extra essentials....

3 Apr 2012 Ellie asked

Ellie

Okay, so I have been reading lots of reviews on different Contiki tours (plus messages on an FB group) and now need advice and suggestions! I am on a very tight budget and don't know whether to splurge and buy a safe anti-theft day bag. Some of these are really expensive, so I don't know if I should just risk it and take a normal day bag?
Also day bag rather than a backpack?
And finally (for now), is it worth while to buy a silk sleeping bag to avoid the awful bed bug bites?
Appreciate all the feedback given!

• 5 Apr 2012 SHAUNA said

SHAUNA

I bought the anti theft backpack from Pacsafe, I am also going to take a small cross body purse.Im interested in what others think about the silk sleeping bag just thinking about bed bugs scare me.

• 6 Apr 2012 TriniExplorer said

TriniExplorer

I’m taking a regular bag. I was in London 2 years ago with a regulare bag and never felt unsafe. I even did a day of sightseeing on my own and was never worried or approaching by anyone suspicious. But If you think you’ll worry about it the get the anti-theft bag for piece of mind.

I’m not sure about the silk liners, would be interesting to find out if they’re really worth it.

• 7 Apr 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

If you’re on a budget, I wouldn’t splurge on an anti-theft bag. Just not looking like a dopy nieve tourist will go far in detering someone from even bothering with you.

• 10 Apr 2012 Ellie said

Ellie

Thanks for the comments :) I have found some decently priced regular bags that look fairly safe with lots of pockets, so I will probably go with that. Unless I can find a okay priced Pacsafe one!

• 10 Apr 2012 JulieK said

Default_avatar

I’m going with a medium sized zip-up purse that has a strap going across the chest. Enough for my camera, passport, money, and snacks. That way it is tucked under my arm decently. The way I see it is it’s Europe, it’s not a third-world country, and I plan to stay with my group a lot. Don’t look like a confused tourist, or dig through your bag a lot in public, or ask a ton of questions or take a million photos in public (anything that makes you look like a vulnerable “dopy” tourist).

• 10 Apr 2012 JulieK said

Default_avatar

Sorry, now I’m not sure if it’s Europe your talking about. If it’s a place where theft is a little more common then I would probably recomment a PacSafe thingy. Lol

• 12 Apr 2012 C_MMartinez said

Default_avatar

QUESTION? I have been reading a lot about daybags, backpacks etc. what about the primary luggage bag? When travelling place to place (hotel to hotel) how does this work? Do the buses have luggage space underneath that stores the luggage for the passangers? Also for those that have travelled Contiki before do they stop at the hotel first before going on the tours or do you go to the hotel at the end of the day?

• 12 Apr 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

The luggage is stored in the bus, there are compartments under the bus.
    Going to the hotel or the city first will depend on the day. Some days you drive early, stop at the hotel to freshen up and then go see the city. Other days you’re not getting to the city until the afternoon and you’ll be dropped off in the city first.

• 12 Apr 2012 C_MMartinez said

Default_avatar

Thank you cdm115….appreciate the answer.

• 25 Apr 2012 Glenda said

Default_avatar

Has anyone ever had problems with carrying a backpack during the day? I don’t just mean theft but can you take it with you when going to museums and stuff. Normally I would just take a handbag but it says something on website that day bag should be used as overnight bag too so handbag may be too small.

• 1 May 2012 TriniExplorer said

TriniExplorer

Hi Glenda

I did read on travel blog that said that certain sites in Italy (the blog particularly mentioned Florence) did not allow you to take your bags in. The guys in that blog just took turns going in while 1 or 2 waited outside with the bags.

• 2 May 2012 carebear85 said

carebear85
    Glenda I hope this helps. If your going out of a night drinking parting and so the last thing you wont to do is carry a big day bay. When I went to new zealand I took both a small hand bag and a day bay/ back pack I used both. I had a small handbag and a big day bag so that if needed my hand bag fitted into my day bag but the choose is yours and what ever your choose is it works for you.
  • 2 May 2012 Glenda said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the advice I will try taking a backpack and a handbag so I have a choice depending on where I am

• 2 May 2012 MegzNZ said

MegzNZ

I’m going on a europe tour in June and have been tossing up whether or not buy a pacsafe bag. Decided not to get one. Spoken to lots of people and they say as long as you have an across the shoulder bag you should be ok. and maybe a neck pouch for your passport. So I’m taking a smallish shoulder bag and a medium sized backpack for big day trips.

• 3 May 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

I did the 46 day Big chill camping tour and If your travelling with a travel pack it should come with a day pack attached or just any normal pack will be fine maybe consider buying a pad lock and locking your zippers if your that worried. I had a silk liner but i didn’t use it at all.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion