Community_discussions_small  

Comment

European Horizons(Summer) vs European Magic (Winter)

20 Apr 2010 PT-95 said

Default_avatar
So ive been reading the Forum and i am leaning towards the Magic tour

1. Accomidation:
Magic 9 hotels
Horizon: 2 nights in Contiki’s exclusive Swiss Chalet, 1 night in Contiki’s exclusive Austrian Gasthof, 3 nights in comfortable cabins in Contiki’s own villages, 2 nights in hotels & 1 night in a hostel
How comfortable are the Chalets, Gastof anf Cabins? and do i need a sleeping bag?

2. Food: Food at hotel vs food at village/hostel......

3. Horizon is a day longer

4. Winter vs summer, id like to go in winter but i dont want to freeze my ass off... any benifts to winter over summer?

I dont know which one???
  • 21 Apr 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

Concept/Budget/Cabin tours only run in the summer, so if you do a winter tour you have to do the Magic.

With hotels you get, well, hotels – 2 beds and a bathroom with towels and bedding. On a concept tour you’re staying in cabins – they are of a wide variety, some hold 2 people with an ensuite bathroom. some hold 4 with no bathroom. You’ll need a sleeping bag and towel too.

As for food, many people have said the food is better on concept tours, I think it’s a bit hit and miss. You’ll generally find food on contiki very generic. Not bad, but nothing special either – designed to please most peoples taste. I did a concept tour in Scandinavia and I’ve done hotel tours – I think I had one bad meal. I think you are more likely to get a hearty breakfast on a concept tour.

But on a concept tour you’ll have to help with food prep on a day or 2 of your tour.

I personally like a hotel tour better, I have a full time job and make a good salary so I prefer to spend a little more and get a hotel and not have to help with cooking.

I did find the social environment a touch better at campsites since it’s easier to find your fellow tourmates to hang out with, it’s a little harder to do at hotels – though the hotel bar is always a popular spot.

I like to travel slightly off season – May or September – crowds are much lower and you don’t get the real hot or cold weather.

• 27 Apr 2010 Explorer1132402 said

Default_avatar

Hey I have just got back yesterday from a European horizon tour so here is the low down from me! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

The Austrian Gasthof, was really comfortable we were in rooms of four people with our own ensuite bathroom. food was great – the reps onsite prepare the food for you and the group takes it in turns to be cookies or dishies were four people have to help chop veg or dish up and then four people collect and scrape plates and sometimes dry.

swiss chalet was again good but shared bathroom in the building not ensuite.

Cabins were on public campsites which contiki has their own sections of. these were basic but comfortable – venice was three sharing with an ensuite and paris was four sharing with ensuite.

You needed a sleeping bag for everywhere except the hotel and hostel.

Benefits of summer – nice pictures! going in winter you risk rain more so than summer, and although pictures of snow are cool i wouldnt think rain ones are!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• 10 May 2010 Emily said

Default_avatar

Hi, I just have a quick question regarding sleeping bags!

I’ve heard that there are vouchers for sleeping bags available from the Contiki Basement, but are only available to US and Canadian travellers? As I am an aussie, I’m assuming I’ll need to bring my own, is this correct?

I am on the Euro Horizon tour btw, in June, so it will be summer… so is it adviseable to bring a thin sleeping bag?

Thanks in advance for your help Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion