Community_discussions_small  

Comment

alchol on contiki tours

18 May 2008 brittany- 1986 said

Default_avatar
so got a few questions since ill be on a budget ( that word already scares me) but r u able to bring alchol in ur luggage on contiki thinking bout buying some duty free... coz i have no idea how much drinks are in europe any one know??
  • 18 May 2008 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

You should be okay I think. Once on tour I dont think they’ll care too much abotu your bag it’s not like thye check it or anything. If you want to get stuff duty free you can actually buy it on the boat going from england to france duty free so you could get some then…only worry to me would be if it got broken because they are pulling things on and off the bus alot and although thye don’t throw your bag oir anything they arent thinking about if there might be valuable inside.
    Once on tour I plan on buying some to keep in my bag for drinking at the hotel too because Im also trying to save a bit of money where I can.

• 18 May 2008 brittany- 1986 said

Default_avatar

hey thanks for ur imput i think taking with me is the way to go maybe ill wrap it in clothes. another question how much does like a cheap bottle of wine or a bottle of vodka cost in london??

• 18 May 2008 brittany- 1986 said

Default_avatar

pre drinks all the way Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> r drinks expensive at bars and clubs in europe??

• 18 May 2008 Enigma said

Default_avatar

The drinks can be expensive in most European pubs and clubs. I suggest you buy some duty free and keep it in your room. If you have a few before you go out it can always help…..What drinks were you looking at in particular and i will try to give you some rough estimates…

• 20 May 2008 robdawgie said

Default_avatar

You can put duty-free alcyhol in your carry on, right?

• 20 May 2008 Stanga said

Default_avatar

For the price of a pint of beer in 195 countries go to www.pintprice.com – it might give you an idea of basic spirits as well.
    It’s certainly helped me budget, but I don’t plan on doing too much drinking…

• 20 May 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by robdawgie:
    You can put duty-free alcyhol in your carry on, right?

No, don’t think so. No liquids in carry-ons anymore.

• 20 May 2008 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

i was told when you purhcase duty free alcohol they pack it and scan it seperate and it meets you at your boarding gate?

• 21 May 2008 robdawgie said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bradleyc123:
    i was told when you purhcase duty free alcohol they pack it and scan it seperate and it meets you at your boarding gate?

Brad’s right…

I flew to Jamaica and this is what they did. I couldn’t remember for the life of me what happened before he posted it…it’s essentially a carry on you don’t have to worry about on the plane.

• 21 May 2008 Rob S. said

Default_avatar

I will second that.

• 22 May 2008 Vic said

Default_avatar

I would get some duty free as when i did my tour the pub closed very early and people just drank in their rooms. i just put my alchol inside my sleeping bag to stop it breaking.

• 29 May 2008 Sherbie Woo said

Sherbie Woo

What about skipping the duty free and just buying a bottle of wine or something and packing it in our checked luggage. That shouldn’t be a problem right? I prefer to buy it near home and pack it so I don’t have to worry about it till I arrive in Europe. Plus I’m sure it’ll make my luggage heavier but it’ll be replaced w/souvenirs and such.

• 30 May 2008 sternie said

Default_avatar

you can definitely buy a cheap bottle of wine in london—at the convenience stores (tesco, etc.) they sell “australian wine” (that’s actually the name of it) and its got a ridiculous alcohol % in it…for £2! it’s insane! half a bottle of that stuff will get even a heavyweight pretty drunk.

and yeah.. £2. i miss that. :’(

• 30 May 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by benji: That’s right…but this is different than packing liquids yourself. The duty free liquor is controlled by the airport authority, and therefore, they know what it is. If you bring it on yourself, they dont’ know what it is or what your plan is (ie making bombs like those terrorists were going to do).

Actually that is incorrect, the reason why you get your duty free liquor at your departure gate is NOT because of airport security. You are already in the secure zone. Rather, it’s to ensure that you are actually leaving the country w/ the booze that you have not paid taxes on – hence the term “Duty Free”.

- Vic

• 4 Jun 2008 Chillibg said

Default_avatar

Wrap the bottle in a thickish towel and put that in a plastic bag just incase it breaks, spoiling your clothing at the start of your tour! Its a good idea to buy before hand, but I’m not planning to get totally drunk and land up with a hangover the next day! One or two drinks at night thats it…I got nothing against others drinking!

• 5 Jun 2008 Ang said

Default_avatar

Tip – when drinking, you might want to ask the price first…our first night on tour my friend walked up to the bar and ordered her usual vodka and lemon lime or whateva…and promplty had to had over 9euro50. yeah. about $15 aussie at the time. my beer was about 3 euro. check menus etc, and ask for specials…we did a pub crawl in berlin and discovered it was actually better value to buy cocktails instead of spirits – price difference wasn’t huge, but difference in alcohol content made it well worth it :-)
    in amsterdam most of the tour were getting jaegemeister shots, and splitting cans of red bull between them to try to bring the cost down. or just drinking the shots.
    ooh, and sometimes i found that premix bottles (like smirnoff black etc) were actually cheaper than a spirit and mixer – go figure.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion