Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Whirl Sept 17th to Oct 4th 2012

18 Apr 2012 JoanneLee1303 asked

JoanneLee1303

Just wondering if anyone else is booked for this tour. My friend Lindsey and I are going and are hoping to connect with some of the people we are going with beforehand. Let me know =)

• 25 Apr 2012 NikSmiles said

Default_avatar

There is no ‘whirl’ tour starting 15th…if you are referring to the 17th of September to 4th October 2012 …. then I am with you guys :D

I am Nikki and I am from Perth!
    I will definitely be in London on the 15th and 16th…havent book my ticket to go yet but I know I will be in London a few days before and after the tour!

• 25 Apr 2012 JoanneLee1303 said

JoanneLee1303

I guess the tour does actually start on the 17th, so we will be traveling together =D

I’m Joanne and it’s my friend Lindsey and I going, it’s our first Contiki. We arrive in London on the 14th and are staying right at the London National so we can get settled. We are also spending an extra night in Paris instead of heading to London at the end of the tour. We are coming from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Have you done any Europe travels before? And have you looked into some of the optional tours and other things to do before hand?

• 25 Apr 2012 NikSmiles said

Default_avatar

:) it is my first contiki too. And have never been to Europe so I’m so excited.

I will definitely be staying at the royal national on the 15th & 16th (night before tour) but not sure before that. Will be in london by the 13th for sure…the main things I want to see/do is I want to see the lion king musical and the zoo. I don’t know whether to stay at royal nationals or go somewhere cheaper. It will be around Russell square rea though.

I’m thinking of coming back to London and doing some more sightseeing with hopefully people from the tour and depart back to australia (I am an Aussie) on the 10th of October. But haven’t booked air tickets/hostels yet for after the trip.

Depending on budget, I will be doing most optionals except white water rafting.

• 26 Apr 2012 JoanneLee1303 said

JoanneLee1303

It’s our first trip to Europe as well, I really can’t wait! Are you coming solo?

I heard the Lion King musical was supposed to be really good, never thought about going to it though. I know we were looking into doing ‘Ripper Vision’ one night, and maybe going to the M&M factory lol Plus all the typical tourist type things, Big Ben and such.

We were planning on going to ‘Oktoberfet’ instead of the Bavarian Beer Hall while in Munich, since we will be there while it is going on. Most likely a once in a lifetime for us, and way too hard to pass up. I think our budget will depend on what we end up doing, though we are going to try to do as much as possible!

Originally we planned on doing a week in Spain after the tour, but our bank accounts didn’t agree with it. Just leaves us with another place to travel to in the future. Have you done much traveling before this?

• 26 Apr 2012 NikSmiles said

Default_avatar

Yes going solo.

I have just booked my fights I will arrive in London Fri 14th Sept….so maybe we should meet up before tour!
    How much is it for Oktoberfest! I am keen.
    Want to do the tourist things as well…what is ‘ripper vision’ but planning on coming back to London and staying until the 10th Oct

Just been to Canada actually…was amazing but not so much as well haha…I spend most my time in Manitoba!

• 27 Apr 2012 JoanneLee1303 said

JoanneLee1303

Well I have to say, Manitoba isn’t really the best of Canada. Though I can’t say Edmonton is either! At least the mountains are near by and the sky is really nice here.

We should for sure to meet up before =) We’ll have 3 weeks together so might as well get to know each other sooner lol

I’m not sure of the exact cost of Oktoberfest, one of my best friends is my travel agent and she said our tour guide will be the ones helping us out with the booking and such. She said it was prey reasonable though. Ripper Vision is this night time walking tour through London that takes you through all scenes of Jack the Ripper. It got really good reviews and the website makes it look neat, but informative lol We are still looking through everything trying to decide what we really wanna do and what is stuff we will do if we have time.

• 27 Apr 2012 JoanneLee1303 said

JoanneLee1303

Well I have to say, Manitoba isn’t really the best of Canada. Though I can’t say Edmonton is either! At least the mountains are near by and the sky is really nice here.

We should for sure to meet up before =) We’ll have 3 weeks together so might as well get to know each other sooner lol

I’m not sure of the exact cost of Oktoberfest, one of my best friends is my travel agent and she said our tour guide will be the ones helping us out with the booking and such. She said it was prey reasonable though. Ripper Vision is this night time walking tour through London that takes you through all scenes of Jack the Ripper. It got really good reviews and the website makes it look neat, but informative lol We are still looking through everything trying to decide what we really wanna do and what is stuff we will do if we have time.

• 28 Apr 2012 NikSmiles said

Default_avatar

Awesome…well if your okay with me joining in on the night tour tour…I am keen…Ohhh I am getting so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay so I am also keen on skipping beer hall and going official oktoberfest…so much better I think!!!!!!
    Have you looked in to the London Pass…it makes like 55 attractions cheaper and you can skip lines etc…Google ‘London Pass’

I dont know what I want to do in London at the moment I am more excited about just going there so trying to think of what exactly I want to do before and after the tour!

Are you doing the optionals…I found a fantastic blog that details even more about itinerary….I want to do paragliding and most of everything except white water rafting!…I am saving like mad!!!

• 29 Apr 2012 Bec14 said

Bec14

hey girls,
    just found this thread after replying to my one lol.
    ive contacted contiki a few weeks ago about the oktoberfest part, they said normally we have the optional of beer hall but as its oktoberfest we dont get that option, they just take us to oktoberfest instead and organise the bus to take everyone and pick us up aswell which is great.
    we are looking at doing a fair bit before the tour, we have these:
    -Hop on hop off bus tour (London eye, madamme tussads wax museam, ripleys believe it or not/mirror maze, london aquarium, river thamas speed boat, harry potter self tour, london dungeon, big ben, london tower, london bridge etc)
    -stonehenge day trip
    -quadbikes in leichestershire
    -jack the ripper tour (the rippervision one)
    -chocolate factory (making our own chocolate workshop)
    -shopping/markets etc

we are also planning on doing quite a few of the optionals and a few other things on tour, we are going to do the heinkein experience in amsterdam and possibly hot air ballooning in prague and also going to climb tower of pisa.
    if you guys are keen to meet up on the 15th and then all of us head to jack the ripper (we are doing the 7.30pm one) that would be great :D

• 30 Apr 2012 NikSmiles said

Default_avatar

Awesome sounds great to me! I am trying to bok another night on the 14th so I dont have to hostel hop…

So will be at RN on the 14th, 15th and 16th so will be awesome. Want to go to zoo, the lionking, stonehedge and bath…..ahhgh just SO many things as well as most of optionals on tour. I am staying in london after tour so may just go with the flow before the tour.

• 30 Apr 2012 NikSmiles said

Default_avatar

What tour are you doing? Is there hot air balloonng in Prague?

• 30 Apr 2012 Bec14 said

Bec14

have you looked into the stonehenge/bath tour at all yet? ive found a few but we arnt sure if we want to do stonehenge/bath/salisbury or stonehenge/bath etc.
    yeah there is hot air ballooning in prague and also in paris, the one in prague is about $315 AUD which includes hotel pick up/drop off and champagne.
    here is the link if you want to have a look:
    http://www.magicalprague.com/en/hot-air-balloning
    we are also considering horse riding in prague which is $133 AUD and goes for 1.5hrs. its on the same website :)

• 1 May 2012 JoanneLee1303 said

JoanneLee1303

Ripper Vision on the 15th sounds like an awesome idea =) Which Hop-on Hop-off bus tour are you looking at? I have found a few but I am still undecided on which is best. In Amsterdam, are you doing the Heineken Experience instead of going to the cheese factory thing, or on free time?

There are so many different options in every city, its so hard to try and narrow down what to go to!

• 1 May 2012 Bec14 said

Bec14

great :D
    we will have to organise a meet up time etc closer to the date (only like 3 and half months to go YAY!)
    the hop on hop off we are doing is www.theoriginaltour.com
    you get a free jack the ripper tour/boat cruise/london walking tour but we arent going to use any of those free tours (apparently not that great)
    the heineken experience we are gonna do in our free time instead of something like anne franks house. we have the 2 boys with us so we wanna try and do stuff they will be interested in aswell.
    yeah i know exactly what ya mean with so many things to do. we are also gonna ditch the leather making stuff in florence and go to pisa (and climb it aswell) instead.
    places like berlin we are unsure what we wanna do, coz there is like 2 days of just all the history and stuff so we prob wont do the optionals there and just explore and see what comes of our day.
    oh and the M&M place, not sure if you know, but its not actually a factory :(
    we thought it was as well and went to the one in Las Vegas and it was like a 5 story building with each level just packed with different things (so one like just souviners, another just chocolate, another a 3d movie etc) but there is a cadbury factory in london and also a factory (we are doing this one) where you can make your own truffles and you design and choose flavours etc and then eat it lol.
    i dont spose you hava facebook at all? if you do, and wanna add me its bec senden (potts) from brisbane.

• 2 May 2012 NikSmiles said

Default_avatar

I do mine is Nicole Nannen :)

The cadbury factory sounds fantastic :D …I am going to just organise London I think first and going with the flow with what happens on tour…however going to Pisa sounds like a good idea!

Hot air ballooning depends on budget…really want to paragliding in austrian tyrol!
    I know i am counting down!!!

• 2 May 2012 Bec14 said

Bec14

www.cadburyworld.co.uk thats the cadbury factory link :D
    oh i cant wait for austria,all the stuff there sounds amazing, i think im gonna do all of the sports there.
    have you looked into swiss alps much? im really hoping the weather is nice so we can do husky sledding and go up jungfrau.

• 2 May 2012 Bec14 said

Bec14

www.cadburyworld.co.uk thats the cadbury factory link :D
    oh i cant wait for austria,all the stuff there sounds amazing, i think im gonna do all of the sports there.
    have you looked into swiss alps much? im really hoping the weather is nice so we can do husky sledding and go up jungfrau.

Default_avatar

Added you :)

Thanks for the link…would you be keen to do that on the sat 15th too… Madame tuassauds is also something thing I want to do!

Yes I’m definitely doing the mountain bike….but think I need to get more fit haha and the paragliding for sure!

I’ll most likely do the jungfrau Visit ?.. But so keen on getting souvenirs ie watch, army knife (although not sure what on earth I’ll use it for) and of course Swiss chocolate.
    Just sooomuch to do….I am getting confused with each country

Thinking of leaving lion king and zoo now until after tour because I’ll get a 3 day London Pass which is cheaper for travel and attractions etc.

And I have just booked in for the 14th as well at RN….think I’ll be doing nothing that night …I’ll be jetlagged!

• 2 May 2012 JoanneLee1303 said

JoanneLee1303

I have added both of you on facebook =) I am getting so excited, it’s coming up so quickly eek!!

Cadbury World looks way better then the M&M place now that I have looked at them both. Though the more I dig, I find even more places I would love to get to see! I am sure it will all work out in the end, I’m not too worried.

Nicole – why don’t you want to do the white water rafting? That’s one I am super excited to do!

Linds and I don’t think we are going to do Jungfrau, though you never know. Her and I actually met while taking the Travel program in University. So we think we will do a bit of off track things in each city so we can see things we learnt about.

Bec – have you booked any of your stuff in London yet? Ripper Vision or anything? I am unsure of when to book it, I dont want to wait to long and miss out.

What time do you guys get into London? We arrive at Heathrow around 2pm, so hopefully we can sleep on the plane and be able to see some things that day.

Default_avatar

I wear glasses so kinda hard when doing white water rafting lol … BUT you never know I might just do it…we will see.

I havent booked any tours yet but if you let me know dates and exact tour things in london then will book soon too!

Right now I am thinking I want to do London Zoo and Madame Tuassauds, Cadbury World (maybe), and Ripper Vision on the 15th and the possibly do markets and British Museum/National Gallery, Trafalgar Square etc on the 16th …and then leave the rest until I get back.

I get into London on the 14th at 12pm …so probably head to RN and then look around and so keen on fish and chips or a pub meal… just wanting to just chill but not got to bed otherwise its meant to worsen jetlag haha

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion