Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spending money for NZ

22 Apr 2012 AlexG asked

AlexG

Hey
I am doing the grand explorer starting auckland and finishing in christchurch on june 30 and was wandering how much spending money other people have taken on this tour in the past?? I am interested to hear your opinions and what you used your money on.
Thanks Alex

• 27 Apr 2012 Volignyt said

Default_avatar

I need to know how much spending money to take, either in NZ dollars or yen…I’m going to Oosaka, Tokyo, Toyooka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Disneyland and I’m only going to be in Japan for 10 days.Pro

Cleanse

• 27 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

Contiki doesnt go to japan and ud b an idiot if u thought to take new zealand dollars to japan

• 28 Apr 2012 Marz87 said

Marz87

I took 3250 NZ dollars with me. I did the Grand Explorer. It was great having that amount of money, I didn’t have to worry about money like others and could buy whatever I wanted -such as photos of me sky diving which were an extra $240 on top of the skydive. I would say you need at least 2800 NZ. I also did black water rafting, para-sailing, helicopter hike (that was $380), waterskiing/wakeboarding (did this via my own accord in Queenstown), the luge, white water rafting, the optional skyline dinner (yum food), party cruise, day sail cruise and dolphin cruise in Bay of islands. Also, bought some souvenirs, you need to remember you buy food and drinks everyday.

• 28 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

Thanks marz that was wanted i wanted to know that was very helpful it was also good to know about the photos price for the skydive i definitely didnt know they were that expensive thanks for your help

• 28 Apr 2012 evana_rose said

Default_avatar

whoa please tell me thats $240 including the skydive, not photos separately :O I was thinking spending money like the same price-ish as a tour, but its sounding like thats not enough..

• 28 Apr 2012 Marz87 said

Marz87

No unfortunately the sky dive pictures is on top of the sky dive cost as, they basically have another person jump out to record you, so that’s why it costs so much more. Black water rafting pictures were only $20, but not great quality. The white whiter rafting photos were I think $50, but you could pay more if you got the video etc. Parasailing was good because you bring your digital camera and the people in the boat take the photos for you. The hellihike flying fox was also free -take your camera. The luge I didn’t buy the pictures. I did the shootover jet and bought the pictures too, $39.

I took 600 NZ cash, and didn’t have to withdraw any money. I used my travel money card for everything else. I came back with $450 hence why I said $2800. I had plenty of money, there were people that didn’t bring enough money and missed out on doing a lot of stuff. I bought some mauri glass art ($70) and a mauri glass wine stopper ($20) some more mauri art ($40) and some kiwi chocolate ($10) and handmade soaps ($20).

The rest of the money was on the optionals and eating lunch/dinner and going out drinks.

• 28 Apr 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

Thank you so much for the advice thats really helpful

• 28 Apr 2012 evana_rose said

Default_avatar

Oh ok, I guess that makes more sense with the sky dive being costly, but it’s still costly lol anyways, it’s not like you do that every day…but that price is close to the actual dive isn’t it? Do they offer videos as well? How much would that cost? Anyway, thanks alot for the information, really useful.

• 28 Apr 2012 Nickee said

Nickee

I took heaps!!! There are so many options, especially the south island.

They also say that Visa is accepted anywhere – not completely true! Anytime I found an ANZ or Visa ATM I took out a huge amount of cash just in case.

• 28 Apr 2012 billgates733 said

Default_avatar

wow it is gonna be more fun for you around! I wish I could also enjoy these moments. Award Pins for Employees

• 1 May 2012 billgates733 said

Default_avatar

Well for this season I am going to spend money for Ibiza Holiday and going to enjoy these summer holidays.

• 1 May 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

@billgates733 ur not even talking about the topic .. stop putting up stupid comments that arent related to anything its thoroughly annoying
    @nickee i might do the same then if you had trouble finding an ATM

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.