Community_discussions_small  

Question

What do you wish you'd known for australia

22 Apr 2012 Gregski asked

Gregski

Hey guys.
In 10 weeks time i am leaving the UK to travel australia for 25days although im really excited im also nervous as its my 1st time away from home solo and beginning to become apprihensive incase i forget to take something.

Is there anything you can suggest i take for australia i may not have thought of.

All comments appreciated, thank you :)

• 24 Apr 2012 sjaneo said

sjaneo

Sunscreen, sunhat, sunglasses but also some warmer clothes. I went in August last year and I found that while I thought it was really sunny I actually still needed socks and a jersey

• 24 Apr 2012 Gregski said

Gregski

Thank you, i have spoken to some1 at the travel agents today and they have also said about takin warmer clothes whilst in the south.
    Just dont want to take too much and not wear loads lol.
    Whereabouts did you travel to and what was the weather like i know you have said it was cooler dispite the sun

• 6 May 2012 Lizzie&Kanya said

Default_avatar

where abouts are you going in aus? i live here! (australia) and the temperature is completely different everywhere!

• 6 May 2012 KrisAU said

KrisAU

agree with L&K I live here and if you are heading to cairns then its great weather (best time of the year to go) and you will be walking around in not much. if you are heading to melbourne then you will need a few layers and a rain jacket.

• 6 May 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I live here too and would also give you the layer advice!! August is winter here so if you are going to come to Southern NSW, Victoria, Tasmania or South Australia you will need warm clothes because it gets freezing!!! Actually I was out in the middle of nowhere in NT last July and it got really really freezing at night time so maybe bring warm clothes regardless!!! Layers are good because you can wear the thinner ones when (if) you’re in warmer parts of the country and through the day, and then stack it on for the colder!! :) Don’t forget sunscrean even in the colder areas, doesn’t take that long to start burning if you’re outside here!! If you forget anything don’t stress too bad, you’ll be able to pick anything up here that you could get in the UK anyway!!! For me, it wouldn’t be a holiday if I didn’t get to the destination and think “crap I left……behind”
    Have fun!! Aussies are pretty friendly and you’ll be on Contiki so you’ll be travelling with friends even if you are going solo!!!!!! :D

• 7 May 2012 DevonMay said

DevonMay

I’m from Aus and have travelled pretty much all over this place! Regardless of where you are going (North, South etc) be prepared for very, VERY cold nights. In the south you’ll get cold days as well. And most likely a lot of rain. In the north you’ll probably get lots of warm-hot days. So be prepared for everything! What Jen said about layers is a good idea. So are a waterproof jacket, an umbrella and good shoes that won’t let your feet get wet. Sunscreen is a must, every day. We have the WORST sun here and you will get burnt, even if it’s really overcast and kinda cold.
    If you are going to Central Aus (think Uluru – Northern Territory etc) be prepared for lots and lots of flies. Bring Aerogard or some other insect repellent, but don’t expect it to work perfectly. There is a reason those hats with corks hanging off them are an Australian Icon!/
    Finally, if you are in north-west Aus (or that general area) and doing walks down into some of the gorges, wear bathers under your clothes. Some (not all but a few) have the most amazing little rivers and natural pools in them. And after walking in the sun you WILL want to swim.

Hope this helps!

• 7 May 2012 sjaneo said

sjaneo

I went to Sydney in August – I’m from New Zealand so because it was warmer than here in winter I went out in jeans and flats and a singlet top, jersey. however, i almost had to buy socks – I went on a hop on hop off tour and to get teh best view I had to be up in the open air part and it was freezing.

• 7 May 2012 Gregski said

Gregski

Thank you for all your advise you dont know how much of a help you have all been :)
    I fly into sydney and spend 2 days here then begin travelling up the gold coast stoppin off in places such as byron bay, surfers paradise and 2 nights sailing around the whitsundays. before travelling further north and ending the trip in Darwin.
    Being from the UK i am used to bad weather lol but dont wana pack too much or rather not be prepared and have enough, whilst still travelling light?!

• 8 May 2012 Lizzie&Kanya said

Default_avatar

well in that case make sure you do pack jeans/jumpers etc cause it can get a tad chilly at night, nothing compared to uk winters though ;) its always warmer up in the north coast, so tshirts and leggings might be a good idea too. you might want to check out this website, theyre pretty reliable when it comes to weather forecasts :)
    http://www.weatherzone.com.au/
    hope that helps!!

• 8 May 2012 Gregski said

Gregski

thanks l&k im so excited but at the same time really nervous now :S

• 8 May 2012 Lizzie&Kanya said

Default_avatar

no problems, nooo don’t be worried! everyones pretty laid back here, we like to take the piss out of pretty much anything and people are pretty friendly :)

• 8 May 2012 Gregski said

Gregski

Been shoppin today got my lightweight case, plenty of socks lol. Finally beginning to feel organised and its not the end of the world if i forget something guna travel light especially with toilerties etc just guna get travel size then can buy whatever when i get out there. Although im on a trip for 4 weeks wondering if i’ll return to the uk at least not straightaway maybe stick around another 6mths lol :D

• 10 May 2012 amalia said

amalia

make sure you take tropical strength bug spray too :)
    but if youre going to the Gold Coast & Whitsundays, pack your best bikini!

• 12 May 2012 Gregski said

Gregski

Thanks Amalia sure am hitting those places cant wait :) starting sydney and travelling up the gold coast with 2 nights whitsundays sailing :D xx

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion