Community_discussions_small  

Question

New Zealanders - what credit/debit cards would you reccommend?

10 Jun 2008 Lauren da explorer asked

Default_avatar
Hi guys,

This is a question for New Zealanders... are there any credit cars or debit cards that you would reccommend in regards to fees etc for Europe??

Feels like I've been researching this for ages, with no luck.
  • 11 Jun 2008 Lauren da explorer said

Default_avatar

Anyone…???

• 11 Jun 2008 renee said

Default_avatar

Hi Lauren, I did quite a bit of research and found that the Kiwi Bank Mastercard was best with regards to fees and interest rates. However, I choose BNZ as I wanted a VISA card (and already have accounts with them), and they have the BNZ LITE Visa which has the lowest fees and interest rates of all the other main banks. Hope this is helpfull! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Default_avatar

Hi guys,
    Thanks heaps, this really helps!

I have my spending money saved up – so was really looking for a debit card, so the travele card sounds the way to go.

(unfortunate I can’t get the Wizard Clear Advantage card like those living in Auzzie).

How did you go with using the travelex card when in places like switzerland?? how does that work?

• 11 Jun 2008 Matty said

Default_avatar

I took my usual ASB cashflow and Visa as well as a Kiwibank mastercard zero which came in handy as I lost my wallet with the ASB cards in it.

• 11 Jun 2008 Stacey said

Default_avatar

Hey, I went last year and took my ASB debit card (it has the plus logo on the back so can be used in alot of places) but found a few ATMs didnt show the symbol and in amsterdam went and asked a bank whether it would work (i was running very low in cash.. oops) and it did, i also took my credit card which i used in a few shops. Westpacs got debit plus card? im taking it with me for egypt this year and well as my credit card..

Default_avatar

Hi Stacey,

What kind of fees were you charged for using your ASB debit card when withdrawling cash?

• 12 Jun 2008 Stacey said

Default_avatar

Hi,
    Sorry i cant quite remember to be honest, i think it was like $5ish but ive since changed banks so i cant look it up online. For me it was peace of mind because if i ran low on funds (which i had to pay and extra night in london, my parents were able to top up etc).

• 12 Jun 2008 Geoff C said

Geoff C

I’m going to use a Travelex Card and ASB Visa just to be safe.

• 12 Jun 2008 Explorer1088738 said

Default_avatar

If you check with your bank BEFORE you leave NZ they should be able to tell you which banks they are affiliated with in different countries which will keep the costs of withdrawing money down Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I am taking my ASB Debit card and VISA with me Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion